10 Amazing Bible Facts

by David Peach · Print Print · Email Email

The Bible has so many amazing facts. Here is a list of ten of them.

1 – The Writing of the Bible

The Bible was written over a 1600 year period by approximately 40 men. The time of the writing was from 1500 BC to AD 100.

2 – The Divisions of the Bible

While the Bible is 1 book, it contain 66 smaller books. The books of the Old Testament were written before the birth of Jesus Christ and the New Testament covers the life of Christ and beyond.

3 – Chapters and Verses

Each of the books, except 5, are divided into chapters and verses. The 5 which aren’t divided by chapters are Obadiah, Philemon, 2 John, 3 John, and Jude. These are short books which only have verse divisions.

Chapters were introduced to the Bible in 1238 by Cardinal Hugo de S. Caro. Verse divisions were not added until 1551 by Robertus Stephanus.

4 – The Longest and Shortest of the Bible

The longest chapter if the Bible is Psalm 119 with 176 verses. The shortest chapter is Psalm 117 with only 2 verses. Incidentally, the middle chapter of the Bible is also Psalm 117.

The longest book of the Bible is Psalms with 150 chapters, or psalms. It contains 43,743 words. The shortest book is 3 John with only 1 chapter and 299 words.

The longest verse in the Bible is Esther 8:9 with 90 words. The shortest verse is John 11:35 with only 2 words, “Jesus wept.”

5 – The Bible is God’s Word

There are many books written about and by various religions. But the Bible is the only one which includes the actual words of God. Those who believe the Bible also believe that God inspired various people through the years to write down His actual words for mankind. The Bible says more than 3,000 times “thus saith the Lord.” And the words which follow are quotes from God.

6 – The Bible is Historically Accurate

There were several secular historians who wrote about the events of the New Testament at the same time the Bible was being written. Josephus is the most well-known of them. He was a Jewish historian. Tacitus was a Roman historian who would have no benefit from not telling the truth. Both these men, as well as others, can be used to back up the historical accuracy of the Bible.

There are historical discoveries regularly coming to light that continue to support the accuracy of the Bible. Merrill Unger, who compiled a Bible dictionary wrote, “Old Testament archeology has rediscovered whole nations, resurrected important peoples, and in a most astonishing manner filled in historical gaps, adding immeasurably to the knowledge of Biblical backgrounds.”

7 – The Business of the Bible

There are more than 168,000 Bibles either sold or given away per day in the United States according to the Gideons, Wycliffe International and the International Bible Societies.

Historically it has been said that the Bible is the most sold book of all time. It is regularly on various best seller lists.

The Bible has been translated into more than 1,200 languages.

8 – The Bible Never Contradicts Itself

There are no contradictions in the Bible. Various people claim to find contradictions but they have to take verses out of context to do so. When looking at the Bible as a whole and understanding its teachings there are no contradictions. This is amazing when one considers that the Bible was written over such a long period of time.

9 – The Prophecies of the Bible

There are more than 3,200 verses with fulfilled prophecy either within the Bible itself or since the Bible was written. But there are still more than 3,100 verses with unfulfilled prophecies.

10 – The Writers of the Bible

While there were at least 40 different people who wrote parts of the Bible, some were more prolific than others. The Apostle Paul wrote at least 13 books of the Bible. He may have also been the author of the book of Hebrews. Moses wrote the first 5 books.

The Bible attributes more than 3,000 proverbs to King Solomon. These are not all written in the book of Proverbs. However, most of that book is said to be the proverbs of Solomon.

Do You Have Other Amazing Bible Facts to Add? Please Comment With Them.

Jack Wellman May 14, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Fantastically interesting. Well done. Here’s a fact that is little known about the Bible:

the word – love – appears 314 times
the word – love’s – appears once
the word – loved – appears 98 times
the word – lovedst – appears twice
the word – lovely – appears 4 times
the word – lover – appears 4 times
the word – lovers – appears 23 times
the word – loves – appears twice
the word – lovest – appears 12 times
the word – loveth – appears 65 times
the word – loving – appears 3 times
the word – lovingkindness – appears 26 times
the word – lovingkindnesses – appears 4 times

I can see why people believe God is love but from my own experience and teaching, the greatest attribute of God above all else (that you probably know already) is that He is holy!
When something is repeated twice, it is of supreme importance in the Bible, but when it is three times, it is of utmost and top importance. The only thing that was ever used in describing God three times? You guessed it>

Holy, holy, holy.

David Peach May 15, 2011 at 1:45 am

There are so many wonderful things about the Bible. Many people want to interpret the Bible through the lens of a loving God. The truth is that we should interpret God’s Word through His holiness.

Frederick Jones June 13, 2012 at 9:26 am

It is true that God is Holy. It is His greatest attribute. He is set apart and unlike anything esle. But why is that? The truth of the matter is that a thing is meaningless without reasoning that makes sense of it. Proverbs 4:7 He is Holy because He is Love. True,Holy is the only desription use of Him three times in a row and is of great importance. I do not know any scripture that says because something is used three times that makes it the most important. But is is not more important than what He is. There are many things that describe God. Holy, Almighty, Omnipotent, Merciful, and more. These, however, are desriptions of his character as you have already pointed out. There is but only one thing that is both a character of His and definition of Him. God is loving as a characteristic just like He has a holy character. God is Love as well by definition. 1 John 4:8;16 The bible is about Love. That is why He sent His Son. John 3:16 Love is the greatest and first command. 1John 4:19 Love is the first thing that God did. He loved then he created the heavens and the earth and then he made Adam just like we do with our children. First we love them, then we build a nursey, and then the child arrives. Love is first. He taught us Love by loving us. Faith only works by love. Galatians 5:6 You cannot be in God or He in you without love. 1John 4:16. If you cannot have him without Love and we can’t have faith without love it certainly is the most important. I end with this: In 1John 4:19 and Revelation 2:4 first love is spoken of. The word first does not have only a chronological meaning but it means the chief, principal, most important thing. He most importantly love us. We left our most important love……God.

Jack Wellman June 13, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Thank you. What do the Holy Angels proclaim around the throne of God all day, every day, for thousands of years and since they were created? Love, love, love? Merciful, merciful, merciful? No, the angels proclaim all day, all night, year after year, Holy, Holy, Holy. Read Leviticus to see just how holy He is.

David Peach June 14, 2012 at 4:21 am

Frederick, Thank you for your additional comments.

One thing that came to my mind as I read your comment is that we can’t really separate God out into individual attributes. We have to see God for who He is. That includes love, holiness, mercy, etc.

I think it is right that our greatest attribute should be love. We have no holiness as an attribute. We have imputed righteousness by salvation through Jesus Christ. Love is something that is developed in our lives as Christians.

This all seems to be splitting hairs though if you define love like Romans 13:8-10 does. It says that love is fulfilling the law, or love is doing what is right. Because God is holy, His love is perfect and right. Because God is love (always doing what is right), He has an innate character of holiness. The two go hand in hand.

Good comments. Thank you.

Jack Wellman June 14, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Fredrick. I believe I owe you an apology sir. As David said so very well, I should not be trying to split hairs about the attributes of God. Therefore please allow me to say I am sorry. I see your point about the command to love God and our neighbor. The reason that I believe that holiness is God’s greatest attribute (certainly they are all great) is that the more I study the Bible and see just how miserable of a wretch I am, the more I see contrast. The sinfulness of me, a train wreck, and the perfect, holy standard that God is. So thank you Fredrick and David too. I stand humbled and amazed at God’s amazing grace to save someone like me.

Waverly Williams October 22, 2013 at 3:35 am

I think we should interpret the Bible though Isaiah28:9-13 and the two or three witness rule,except when The Lord speaks!!!I say this because I’ve taken time to look for verses I could see the rest of the Bible though and these and a few other give so much more understanding.I look forward to the time that the Lord’s plan for me to share and study this and all the other thing that are being revealed to me.Pray for me that I follow GOD properly.Stay blessed!!!

HM June 30, 2012 at 5:33 pm

i am soo sorry but i think that thats wrong cuz the Bible is a long book and the words love’s,lovedst,lovely,lover,loves,loving,lovingkindnesses could not appear less than 5 times in the whole Bible
but i could be wrong and if i am could u tell me were u got that info????

David Peach July 1, 2012 at 4:01 pm

HM, There are a couple of places you can look to find this information. I was a little shocked too when I looked into these words and found out that Jack’s numbers are right.

Look at BibleGateway. They have a search function you can put in the word and it will show you every instance of the word in the Bible. I did the search on the King James Version of the Bible.

You can also look for a Strong’s Concordance and search for those words. Strong’s has every instance of all the words in the Bible written out and where you can find them.

Ajesh C December 6, 2016 at 12:40 am

These are the words/ phrases that never appear in quran—not even one time!

V.L.Ramnghaka August 9, 2011 at 11:01 pm

I have always wonder. Why most scientist(or other) compare their theories, discoveries, inventions,etc with the Holy Bible? (even if they aren’t Christians) if they do not compare now, at least one of the other person would compare with the Bible on later days.

Jack August 10, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Great point V. L. The Holy Bible is the most verifiable document in all of human history. Maybe this is why. Is is supported by archeology, paleontology, history, and so many other disciplines that it is easily the most reliable of all human books, save none. Thanks for your comment my friend.

bella May 7, 2012 at 5:25 am

gd point i am a keen christain and go to church 2 times a week are u a vicar ????? also i am doing a award for my singing and i have to choose a parable and a merical and stuff like that do u have any ideas of what i should do???

Jack May 7, 2012 at 3:34 pm

My favorite parable is that of the Prodigal Son for we are all truly prodigals and the Father is or has been waiting for us to return and for those who have returned, the unconditional acceptance of His prodigal children is an awesome model of God’s forgiveness to those of us who are in desperate need of it. Does this help Bella? Is this what you were asking for?

Javi August 14, 2011 at 6:06 am

Hey Dave, thank you for posting this facts, I wanted to share just 2 points that makes it even greater, points you have mentioned but just to clarify and to share the greatness of God’s Word. The old testament ends in the gospel of John, and the new testament starts in Acts, that is why there is so much confusion when it comes to understanding the Bible and also there are several records where God shows not that The Bible Claims to be God’s Word but God claims to have giving His Word to man, 2Pet 1:20-21 “Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake [as they were] moved by the Holy Ghost.” It is amazing to know that God’s Word is God’s will. Have a wonderful day!

Adrian January 19, 2012 at 11:15 am

Excellent article. I have seen similar posts elsewhere, however, this is succinct and provides a lot of information quickly.

Did you also know:

* The first hand-written English language Bible manuscripts were produced in the 1380’s AD by John Wycliffe (in direct opposition to the directions of the Roman Church);
* Johann Gutenberg invented the printing press in the 1450’s and the first book to ever be printed was a Latin language Bible, printed in Mainz, Germany;
* In 1525-1526 the (William) Tyndale New Testament became the first printed edition of the scripture in the English language;
* The “King James Bible” was first printed in 1611, and has become the most printed book in the history of the world – and the only book with one billion copies in print.

SUMIT SIMON JOHN February 2, 2012 at 11:29 am

GREAT ARTICLE …. KEEP THE GOOD WORK

ROSE April 25, 2012 at 10:57 am

I LOVE U JESUS.I WANT U AGAIN IN DIS WORLD

Matt April 28, 2012 at 2:22 pm

And, by the way, Atheists, none of those 40 authors were associated in any way with the Illuminatti or aliens or whatever crazy silliness you would rather believe instead of believing in God or His Word.

Jack April 28, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Great point Matt. Let me say that if I could ask Richard Dawkins, perhaps the most profound atheist a question about his book, “The God Delusion” I would ask him, “your book is highly complex, it is very intricate, it has an enormous amount of information in it, is it intelligently designed?” Of course he would have to answer yes, I would expect. Then I would ask, “was there a creator of this intelligently designed book?” He must answer yes or he would refute his own intelligence. There is design and information that testifies to a creator of his book…himself. So why can there not be a Designer or Intelligent Designer of the exceedingly more complex universe and all life forms that has exponentially more information and more complex and designed than any human book? Hmmm…..

Nwafor Kenneth April 28, 2012 at 2:46 pm

What great men have said about the Holy Bible.

Matthew Arnold: ‘To the Bible men will return because they cannot do without it. The true God is, and must be pre-eminently the God of the Bible, the eternal, who makes for righteousness from whom Jesus came forth, and whose spirit governs the course of humanity.’ George Washington: ‘It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible.’ Thomas Jefferson: ‘The Bible is the cornerstone of liberty.’ HoraceGreeley: ‘It is impossible to mentally or socially enslave a Biblereading people.’ Patrick Henry: ‘This is a book worth more than all other books which were ever printed.’ William McKinley: ‘The more profoundly we study this wonderful book and the more closely we observe its divine precepts, the better citizens we will become and the higher will be the destiny of our nation.’ J. Edgar Hoover: ‘Inspiration has been the keynote of America’s phenomenal growth. Inspiration has been the backbone of America’s greatness. Inspiration has been the difference between defeat and victory in America’s wars. And this inspiration has come from faith in God, faith in the teachings of the Sermon on the Mount, and faith in the belief that the Holy Bible is the inspired Word of God. Reading it within the family circle is more importanttoday than ever before. It draws the family together into a more closely knit unit. It gives each member a faith to live by.’ Your Bible-read it every day!

Culled from : http://www.ucb.co.uk/index.cfm?itemid=88&testdate=28%20Apr%202012

ROSE April 30, 2012 at 9:09 am

WAT ABOUT DEVILS IN DIS WORLD

Jack April 30, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Thank you Rose. I can not speak for David who did an excellent work here, but there is only one Devil but many (likely millions) demons. For more on the world of Satan, please read “Is there Really a Being Called Satan” at:

and please read “Does the Bible Say What the Devil, Satan, or Demons Look Like”

ROSE May 4, 2012 at 11:15 am

Thanks jack.I didnt expect that u will msg me.Thanks a lot sir,iam so happy today.pray 4 me jack.iam dieing with my problems.hoping u to msg me

Marcos May 6, 2012 at 6:58 pm

These amazing facts helps me in the battles I face everyday serving God & placing ALL my trust in Him.

ROSE May 20, 2012 at 10:37 am

hai to every one.a free advice 4 u all.dnt believe anyone.especally who loves u and tortores u

Jaida May 20, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Awww man. How am i supposed to get through all this let alone remember it all. 40 different writters for one book!?!?! Has anyone actually ever finished the entire Bible? I’d like to know so i coud know if i should really feel bad about not being ableto finish it.

David Peach May 20, 2012 at 2:51 pm

The beautiful thing Jaida is that you don’t have to remember all these facts to read and enjoy the Bible. And, you don’t have to feel bad about not finishing the Bible. It is a big book. Take it a little at a time.

Personally I have read the Bible through several times. But it is a big book. Some people I know read it 2 or 3 times a year. It almost always takes me more than 1 year to read it all the way through.

Some people suggest that John is the best place to start if you are reading it for the first time. That’s as good as any. I like suggesting you start in Genesis to get a good foundation for the basis of God, creation, God’s authority, sin and the promise of a coming redeemer. From there Exodus, Joshua, Judges and then the first 4 books of the New Testament are a great place to go.

If you need help understanding something in the Bible I suggest you find a good Bible believing church in your area to help you learn more.

Jeanette February 7, 2013 at 7:20 am

A tip for reading the Word from someone who can hardly get through the “begots” is to use bible gateway. You can put in whatever word you want to read about… Read through every verse that comes up… and tomorrow, put in a new word, and the next day do it again… before long you will have read every word of the Bible…

Marsha February 20, 2013 at 9:34 am

I always tried reading the bible through in a year – as they say to – and I could never do it. I finally decided to read it through in my own timing. I think it took me 2-3 years, but I would read a chapter or two monday – friday (sometimes more, sometimes less) and I finally finished it. Do it on YOUR time. Don’t be in a hurry – like Mr. Peach said – it’s a big book 🙂 When you’re done – start over.

Jaida May 21, 2012 at 4:52 pm

That’s great to know. Thank you very much David.
God Bless You.

Mike T July 28, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Jaida
Just to add to what David said about taking your time to read the Bible… Don’t feel pressured to read the entire Bible because you’ll be so focused on finishing that you may miss things God wants you to get. If I decided to read the entire dictionary, I would end up in a trance just skimming over it just to say, “I did it!” but I may not be able to give you definitions of any words! Kudos to the people who can read the Bible 2 or 3 times a year. But David’s right…focusing in on a dozen books or so will allow you to slow down and soak it in.

Frederick Jones August 7, 2012 at 8:26 am

Those are wonderful points! I have found that a mixture works for me. I read the Bible end to end several times. I also study it by subject, book, or scripture. Reading it from end to end helps me to be familiar with all the stories in the Bible. I find that helpful when a word is given I can relate in the sense of remembering that portion of the Bible. The detail study helps me to find revelation and understanding. I even like to try and memorize scripture which can be used during prayer and fights against the enemy. Be well rounded in the Word is a great way to go. I don’t know it all but I can say this: However we approach the Bible let us be in prayer and led by His Spirit.

C.A.Bird September 30, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Frederick, I know what you mean!

I spent my teen years reading the Bible like it was a novel, front to back, a little each night before bed. It is knowing the stories–and what Books they are in–that helps me find answers to questions about God that I receive.

And, amazingly enough, when I saw Mel Gibson’s “Passion of The Christ” movie in theaters (it was a foreign film, not in my native English), I did not need to read the tiny English subtitles printed on the screen because I KNEW what was being said from my knowledge of the Gospels. It was like being able to understand Aramaic and Hebrew! I loved that!

Normally, I do not like watching foreign films because it’s distracting for me to have to read the English subtitles.

But, now God leads me to the Scriptures He wishes me to read each day. The key is having a continous, open dialogue with Him–I think about Him and talk to Him throughout each day, in my mind. When I have a specific need, or hear of someone else’s need, I pray about it. If I am having trouble with anything (like temptation), I ask for His Strength and Wisdom, and He gives abundantly.

So wonderful learning about God and getting to know Him in all His forms: Abba Father, my Savior Lord Jesus, and His Awesome Holy Spirit within me.

B G Drake June 10, 2012 at 8:28 am

nOT A FEW TIMES WHEN THE ENEMY HAS TRIED TO DISCOURAGE ME THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD HAS REMINDED ME THAT OUR WONDERFUL TRIUNE GOD IS A GOD OF LOVE AND LOVES US ENOUGH TO GIVE HIS SON TO SUFFER AND DIE FOR OUR SINS.

anvesh sai poluri June 16, 2012 at 8:56 am

Hello every one,
I am here in da search of a answer for one of my dream. Before saying my dream i need to say something to you. Once i am a Hindu religious believer, i feared good so much and i always used to pray to him every day and used to do fasting on special day.
but i am not blessed like all others i do have parents who are rich(they are rich becoz they earned each and every penny wat they have all by themselves) but they never cared about family relations what all matters to them is money only i became alone right from the childhood never had a sweetness in my lyf to live even though i believed in god and prayed to him so he blessed me with knowledge and i became a best student where ever i go to study r8 from the school to university i am good in studies, i am the leader, i became one of the role model for every one of them. but still i have a question for whom i am all doing this i do have a goals and aims but after i achieve them with whom i can share those? there is no answer! at that time two years ago a girl entered into my life i love her more than my life, i treated her like my own daughter wen i am taking care about her, never neglected her. we are happy we convinced our parents for our engagement in a month or two we gone be engaged with each other then comes this dark times into my life. first i wish to continue my studies further in one of the worlds best university and i applied to them and i got rejected by them( four univ rejected me even though i am eligible for admission),
after that the problem comes with my love i dont know how there started some uneasiness between us she belives in Jesus greatly and i never restricted her in this matter but here in our place the church fathers and other christian belivers are insane( i am not absuing god i am abusing people who does crazy things in the name of god) when she attended one of the meetings conducted by them she changed completely and when she returned back she forced my whole family to convert into christians!!!! we r shcoked and convinced her that is not possible and restricted her from not going to any one those meetings or prayers but i assured her after our marriage i will take care of her i also promised her that i will study bible and explain it to her(sincce she was unable to understand all of it) and she is happy.
then two months before i had a dream after that all the heavens broken on my head and i am forced down to hell. the problem is the same above problem raised again she keep on pressuring me that she wants to attend one of those prayer meetings i am tired so i called her mother and told all about these(her family doesn’t know that she believes in Jesus) and she made punished her for doing this and took a word from her that she will never go to Jesus and she made her sear upon his father. And she started hating me for doing all this she says i am responsible for the this ” u made my jesus to go away from me i lyk him most in my lyf so i am going away from your life becoz u love me most” by saying this she punished me she ruined all our engagement both our parents quarreled with each other i am helpless and unable to do anything i lost all of them in a blink of eyes i lost her i lost my family they dont have faith in me no more. all my universities are rejected and even now i dont have any job to do.
i belive in jesus right now i pray every day to him and keep on asking him please return my love back to me becoz she is the only one i do have in my life. i want to cry ludly untill my throat tears off i want to die i dont want to live any more. right now i am in this condition i am reading bible every day i am praying to lord every day on his knees. then one day i cam across this chapter in bible in genisis a man able to explain dreams to egypt knig so i am here asking meaning to the dream which i got two montha ago
in my dream ” every body is punishing me even they are kicking me with their legs badly blood is coming all around from body, i am in deep pain crying crying keep on crying hard and hard then there comes hands which catches me he is none other than lord jesus he touched all over my body and he wishpered in my ears dont worry my son i am here to protect you” at first that pain is my rejection of admission into universities and i though i will soon get admission but ow i understood the pain which he intended to give me. i dont know how much time i have to bear it this pain do i have to really shed my blood if so i am even ready to do die. if any one understand the meaning of my dream please explain it to me my mail id is anvesh.insearchof@gmail.com

Jack Wellman June 16, 2012 at 11:02 am

Hello Anvesh. I do not believe that anyone can interpret dreams like Joseph did in the Old Testament part of the Bible. I can only guess that Jesus’ call is irresistible and to resist His call is futile. I can not explain this dream. Only you must do so and I would pray to God for an answer. I read a book by Beth Moore called The Voices of the Faithful and have heard from missionaries that God sometimes uses dreams to call people to Jesus Christ for eternal life. I would say that hell will be worse than any dream or nightmare. I would fall to my knees and pray to God to reveal to you this meaning. Anyone who tries to prevent others from knowing and following Jesus is not in for a good time for you are persecuting Jesus when you persecute those who are His own. Do not die before you have a chance to place your trust in Jesus for He is truly God and besides Him, there is no other.

David Peach June 16, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Anvesh, I agree with Jack that we cannot know for certain what your dream means. Whatever it actually means, I think God is using this to make you think about who Jesus really is and what He can do for you.

Keep reading the Bible. Keep searching for God’s story that He wants to reveal in His Word. Everything you will read in the Bible will help point you to the redeemer that God promised to Adam and Eve. That redeemer is Jesus Christ. He came to earth to forgive your sins so that you don’t have to suffer the punishment of hell.

I pray now that God will reveal Himself through His Word, the Bible, and that He will bring someone into your life who can teach you in your own language about Jesus Christ.

Richard j July 15, 2013 at 5:20 pm

To answer this could be impossible there are many different ways to interpret this, the blood the pain could be the pain and blood that Jesus went through for you, it could be to show you to make you feel what he did for you and me- you do know that there was a man in the bible that hated Jesus and he also persecuted him, his name was Saul – yet Jesus chose him above overs to help him and spread the word of Christ, Jesus showed Saul that he was god and that Saul thought he was in the right but he wasn’t so jesus knew that Saul just wanted to do right by who he thought god was but Saul was wrong but with honest intentions – Jesus showed mercy to Saul – that’s the best thing about Jesus, his forgiveness and love for us all of us the believers and the none believers. If I was you I would just read the bible and see where that takes you. Good luck with things

Roselyn Kisache June 18, 2012 at 3:15 am

Love Jesus so much for His amazing love, the unconditional love! I’m indeed saturated in this love!

Vepada Sanjeevi Das ( Sanjoy ) June 19, 2012 at 2:54 am

I love Jesus & His word. I`m interested to know Biblical facts. Pls keep me in your`s personal prayer.

Chad June 20, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I think we should define Holy. Set apart right?
I think if we look closer into His Holiness we will see that God is perfect in Love and perfect in Justice. This is what the cross is about.

Ezra July 4, 2012 at 11:25 pm

As an Athiest, I think that this should have that the Bible has many “ideas” proven wrong by science.

Jack Wellman July 5, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Hello Ezra. This may not be my place to say, since I did not write this article, but could you please tell us what these “ideas” in the Bible are that science has proven wrong? You know that anyone is welcome here and we love to be open to all people, atheists, agnostics, Muslims…anyone. Thank you Ezra for your comment.

Ezra July 5, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Age of the Earth. Shape of the Earth. Origin of the Universe. Origin of Humankind. Value of Pi. For starters…

Jack Wellman July 5, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Thank you Ezra. The Bible actually shows that the earth was known to be round. Isaiah 40:22 “He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in.”

Value of Pi? Really. Is the Bible a math book? Come now.

The Bible does not state how old the earth is. Show me in the Bible where it states the age of the earth.

What is your answer for the origin of the universe?

What is your answer for the origin of life (or mankind)?

What do you have to answer these? These answers are found in Genesis. Did you know the Bible is not so much a book about the heavens as it is about how to get there. Can you prove to us that God does not exist?

Ezra July 5, 2012 at 7:10 pm

My search produced the following verses about the shape of the Earth;

1. “….one end of the earth even unto the other..” Only flat surface have ends.. Dt 28;64. See also Psalm 19:4.
2. “…. from the four corners of the earth…” Isa 11:12. Sphere don’t have corners, a sheet of paper have four corners.
3. ,,,” into an exceeding high mountain, and shows him all the kingdoms of the world,..” Only in a flat earth can this verse be true.. Mt.4:8 see also Luke 4:5
4. “…. he comes with clouds; and every eye shall see him,…” Rev 1:7. This is only possible in a flat Earth.
5. “….He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth,…” Isaiah 40:22. A circle as we all know is a flat circular disk just like a coin or round as drawn with a compass.

Some christians are quite literal in how old they say the earth is according to the bible. I have got to admit I am on the side of the “the earth has been around for billions of years” crowd.

Anyways – if you take it literally from the bible here is the timeline: Beginning with the archeological landmark event of the fall of Jerusalem (which has now been corrected to 588 B.C., instead of 586-587 B.C.) and counting backwards the prophesied number of years between this event and the division of Solomon’s kingdom (390 yrs. + 40 yrs., according to Ezekiel 4:4-7), brings us to 1018 B.C.

From the end of Solomon’s 40-year reign to the start of the Temple in the 4th year of his reign takes us back another 37 years to 1055 B.C.

From the start of Solomon’s Temple “in the 480th year” (1 Kings 6:1) back to the Exodus from Egypt (hence 479 years previous) brings us to near 1534 B.C.

From the Exodus out of Egypt to Abraham’s entering Canaan from Haran was exactly 430 years to the day (Gen 12:10/ Exodus 12:40/ Gal 3:17), thus around 1964 B.C.

Since Abraham entered Canaan at age 75 (Gen 12:4), he was born approximately 2039 B.C.

From Abraham’s birth to Noah’s grandson (Shem’s son), Arpachshad’s birth, 2 years after the Flood started, was 290 years (Gen 11:11-26), this places the onset of the Flood at around 2331 B.C. [definitely 4,300-4,400 years ago].

The genealogy of Genesis 5:3-32 precludes any gaps due to its tight chronological structure and gives us 1,656 years between Creation and the Flood, thus bringing Creation Week back to near 3987 B.C. or approximately 4000 B.C.

Therefore, the biblical age of the Earth (using Scripture itself as a guide) is 6,000 years

It says the value of Pi is 3.0

Science’s answer for the origins of life are;

1.Big bang

2.Abiogenesis

3.Evolution

Research if you need to on the above theories.

Jack Wellman July 6, 2012 at 10:56 am

Thank you Ezra. I see you copied and pasted the Yahoo!Answers link. Let me say that, for example, every eye shall see Him refers to Christ’s second coming (see Revelation 20). Every eye sees the sun too but that doesn’t mean the earth is flat.

I see that you are an atheist, which is also a faith-based belief. You can not disprove the existence of God, therefore you can not prove yourself to actually be atheist.

I have researched these.

1.Big bang – The Big Bang is NOT an explanation for the origin of the universe. It is only a theory for where the universe started from, not about where matter came from or where the origins of life came from.

2.Abiogenesis – In 1953, Stanley Miller and Harold Urey tested Oparin’s hypothesis by conducting an experiment that attempted to simulate the atmospheric conditions of primitive earth. In their experiment, water boiled into vapor at the bottom of a flask and then passed through an apparatus, combining with ammonia, methane, and hydrogen. They then subjected the resulting mixture to a 50,000-volt-spark before cooling and collecting it in a trap at the bottom of the apparatus. When Miller and Urey examined the resulting tar-like substance, they found a collection of amino acids, the building blocks of life. Clearly to get from the Miller-Urey experiment to a living cell by unguided materialistic processes requires that improbabilities be stacked upon improbabilities. For this reason, Dean Kenyon rightly concludes: “It is an enormous problem, how you could get together in one tiny, sub-microscopic volume of the primitive ocean all of the hundreds of different molecular components you would need in order for a self-replicating cycle to be established.

3.Evolution – evolution is a theory and evolution does not deal with the issue of the origin of life. It is outside of its realm.

David Peach July 7, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Ezra, I won’t take the time to address every one of your questions but I will talk about the value of pi. This is a common question that people bring up as a fallacy of the Bible. You can easily find various explanations for it if you were interested in learning the truth.

The first explanation I offer is the fact that the Bible is not a math textbook. As with many of the questions posed in the Yahoo! Answers page that you posted, the truth is that many times an exact number is not needed. If you and I were describing something and I said it was 10 feet across and you said, “actually, it was 9.549578 feet across,” does it really make any difference?

I think that is a valid explanation for what is going on. However, I also think that the Bible is more accurate than that in the case of pi which can be found in 1 Kings 7:23-26. There are many ways of measuring a bowl. If you measure the full width of the bowl to be 10 cubits from outside to outside and the circumference was measured from the inside of the bowl you would get a value much closer to pi.

A cubit is about 18 inches. We don’t know exactly what the measurement was, but 18 inches is a pretty common number that Bible scholars use. That would mean the diameter is 18X10=180 inches across.

Verse 26 says the brim was a hand breadth. That is commonly accepted as 4 inches. If you measure that distance twice (for both sides of the container) you need to take away 8 inches to get your inside diameter. That means a diameter of 172 inches.

The circumference is 30 cubits at 18 inches each for a total of 540 inches. Divide the circumference of 540 by 172 and you get 3.1395. That gives you a rounded up figure of 3.14 which I think most of your math teachers in school accepted as “close enough.”

The point is that there are many ways of measuring things. Much of the supposed contradictions you linked to are different ways of measuring objects and time. Study out the supposed contradictions by reading those passages and looking at what honest people have to say in explanation. I think you will find that the Bible is not as full of errors as people have lead you to believe.

If you are honestly seeking truth in God’s Word, I believe you will find it.

osagie kelvin July 5, 2012 at 8:56 am

thanks for those interesting bible facts. Please help me i find it hard to actually study the bible.

Jack Wellman July 6, 2012 at 10:47 am

Thank you Osagie. I would suggest buying a good Study Bible with commentary throughout the Scriptures. These commentaries cross-reference other Scriptures that provide more on the verses you read and have questions on. In many standard Bibles, the indexes have notations with other Scriptures that you can look up to see exactly what the verses are saying. I hope this helps.

Ezra July 5, 2012 at 7:19 pm

The bible contradict

Ezra July 5, 2012 at 7:21 pm
Aravind Kumar January 13, 2013 at 3:10 am

@ Ezra! You Said Bible Contradicts …..

Answer me this! when you see a building or picture you can describe it thousand ways as you want to prove a point that you have understood everything and Even I would be doing the same I may write thousand and one ways just to beat your intellectual supremacy! that’s what been happening with people who are cynical and just want to prove a point which they know it doesn’t exists!!! BIBLE is the only Book in the world which answers questions which you have in your Heart (Not the Mind) related to life and after life!!! You can give Bible to a Phd Guy and a person who knows to read and write believe me if a person reads Holy Bible with Spirit and Fear of GOD he will understand every word in it but you read for analysis you land up in questions and declare the BIBLE is Contradict!! Sorry if I have Offended You ! Peace and Cheers!

Felix June 28, 2013 at 9:56 am

The Bible contradicts itself when you take it our of context. Many people read the Holy Bible to find faults (i have no problem with that) but when you don’t understand what you are reading and as such draw a conclusion that it contradicts itself is very unfair and pathetic. Ezra, before i became a believer, i read the Bible cover-to-cover and i came out with 122 Bible contradictions (Matthew 27:3-8 and Acts 1:16-19). Check this out how Judas dies in both text (you will conclude that it contradict itself..hahaha…but when you are don’t reading it, i will explain to you from the proper context and you will know that it does NOT CONTRADICT at all). God bless you Aravind for trying to explain stuffs to Ezra but my brother…please, don’t be scared to offend people in defense of your faith. You help to open their eyes to the truth and that is not hurtful but an act of love.( It’s like stopping a toddler from putting the hand in fire…they may cry and feel hurt but what is most hurtful is when the hand ends up in the fire). Ezra, just let me know if you finish with the text. God bless you my brother….i like it when people ask questions..(ANY QUESTION AT ALL!!!!!)

Victor July 29, 2012 at 12:30 pm

I am happy to also be part of this great delibration and contribution. The bible tells us dat God is love(1 john 4:8). So no other attribution will be greater than that which the bible has attributed him to be.

Another bible fact here,the book ESTHER is lack of the word"GOD" July 31, 2012 at 3:17 am

Well all things are very fanatastick&amazing,pls continue&pickout extra facts may god help u

TheSparrow February 23, 2013 at 7:07 pm

In my studies of God’s word regarding Esther, it is said that God’s name may be found in acrostic form four times. I am not an expert in ancient Hebrew so I do not know if this is accurate, I would love some insight into this from David or anyone else who may have the knowledge. Thank you in advance and God bless. This is one link regarding this topic:

Don Henderson September 17, 2012 at 10:40 pm

In regards to studying the Bible, especially the Epistles, I have found that reading for “purpose” opens the meaning of the Bible to me best of any approach I have tried. With two Bible degrees under my belt, reading in context was always strongly taught. Reading in context is good and important, but it does not always bring about the results that are needed.

Simply put, if your understanding of the purpose of a book or passage is skewed, then what understanding that was read in context will also be skewed. I am not trying to split hairs here. I am trying to help people see that the letters of the New Testament were real letters to real churches; not textbooks discussing doctrine.

To illustrate, imagine a seven year old boy writing a letter to his grandmother. The boy goes from fishing with dad to his sisters birthday party to looking forward to getting together for Christmas. Even though none of these topics are related, grandmother, of course, knows everything her seven year old grandson is talking about. A lot people treat Paul’s letters like he seven years old. They dissect a all of these individual truths like none of them are connected to each other. When you read for purpose, trying to understand how every verse fulfills the purpose of the whole book, you see the individual truths with less chance of getting off track.

Here is my simple list of what to have on hand when studying the Bible. 1) A translation of the Bible that you like, that is easy to read. 2) Pen 3) Paper 4) Read a short book of the New Testament, such as Galatians, straight through like you were reading a novel. If needed, read the book more than once until you get some idea of what the book was talking about in general, or until you find repeating themes. 5) Takes notes on what you have found. 6) Once you have found the general purpose of the book, see how each verse and section of the book fulfills that purpose.

As you read searching for purpose, your original understanding of the purpose of the book will probably change to some degree. No problem, that is a part of learning. The fun part of studying the Bible this way is that you will only have an understanding of the individual verses when you see the purpose of the whole book. And you will only see the purpose of the whole book after you have grasped the meaning of the individual verses.

I am not trying to be cute or sound profound. The fact is, the Bible is the living Word of God. And as a person reads the Bible the Spirit comes to open the meaning of God’s word to us. To have a systematic approach to studying the Bible gives the Spirit more to work with, in my opinion. To read the Bible, always looking to find how the individual verse and the book as a whole relate to each other, is very exciting.

Getting back to Galatians, you will see some common themes through the book. Here are a few. Paul is very angry with the church. Circumcision is mentioned numerous times. Trying to appropriate God’s grace in any means outside of the work of Christ makes the one’s salvation “null and void”. The Gentile Christians are leaving the sound teaching Paul gave and are following false teachers.

There are powerful doctrines in Galatians to be sure. Yet Paul was trying to achieve a specific purpose in writing to these Gentile Christians. If one studies this book only looking for doctrinal truths, carefully keeping everything in context, they will come away with very important teaching on grace, yet possibly miss entirely the central purpose of Galatians.

No matter how the Bible is studied, for there are many ways, I believe a person should enjoy their study. For if a person enjoys studying the Bible, I believe they will more likely be conformed into the image of Christ. That is the ultimate goal for every believer.

Eric Robinson September 21, 2012 at 10:13 am

I appreciate very much the discussion here. I love the facts about the Bible. Thanks so much for the article. Everyone on the site seems so genuine and eager to help provide guidance without being condescending or accusatory.

I would simply add the most impressive thing to me about the Bible is the way the Jesus-story is told throughout the OT, as Jesus taught (Luke 24:27, 44-47; John 5:39; et. al.). For instance, when Joseph (the most-loved son of his father) is sent, to see how his brothers are doing in shepherding the flocks and discovers them not to be where the Father thought (proving they are not being good shepherds), he is then taken by them and handed over to Gentiles where he is thown into prison for sin he did not commit and, in this darkest time of his life, interprets the dreams of cupbearer and baker (wine and bread), both of which are linked positively to three days’ time, one of which will be hung “on a tree” and the other who will be restored to the right hand of the most powerful ruler of the world at that time. How can this be anything but a death and resurrection story about Jesus written approximately 1400 years before it happened? Even the most liberal scholars, thanks to the Dead Sea Scrolls, can have it written NO LATER than 200 B.C., and that is a stretch to say the least.

Anyway, just another fact to give confidence and reassurance in this unbelievably fantastic Word of God. God bless to all. 🙂

naomi johnson October 11, 2012 at 2:50 pm

i want to ask a question the law of moses and the law of jesus which is direct from god

David Peach October 13, 2012 at 2:28 am

They were both from God.

Randy Malone October 19, 2012 at 11:53 am

You cannot separate God being Love and God being Holy. They are two sides of the same coin. God is love first but because of his perfect love he cannot tolerate unrighteousness. The very fact that God is love obligates him to be Holy and perfect. If he were not Holy then he would not be perfect love. And if he is perfect love then he is holy.

God is Love first and the result is his Holiness. Now contrast that to man. Man is not sinless and does not love perfectly. We are a selfish prideful bunch. All sin is but different outcomes of pride. Pride is simply not caring about anything beyond your own nose. Some of us love to varying degrees and to the degrees that we love then that is how close to perfection that we can be.

Humbleness and humility to God are the only way we can be perfect. Jesus blood washed away our sins but we are still sinful. We will not be perfect until God makes us perfect in Heaven. And our perfection even then will be the indwelling of God’s love in ourselves.

If we are humble then the Holy Spirit can fill us with God’s love, but only when we make the right choices. We seldom do and even then it is usually not for very long. The adversary will inevitably tempt our flesh and then we must humble ourselves again.

As Paul wrote. Love should be our motivation or everything we do is a waste of time in God’s kingdom. We cannot love like God does unless he give us his love. God cannot give us his love unless we submit to Christ’s lordship of our lives. Following Christ teachings allows the Holy Spirit to move in our lives. And then. the Holy Spirit flows with power that changes the world.

David Peach October 24, 2012 at 10:47 am

Very well said Randy. Thank you for your comments.

Lanette October 31, 2012 at 11:40 am

The supersede book in the Bible is actually 2nd John not 3rd John.They bOth have 1 chapter but 2nd John has 13 verses while 3rd John has 14.

TheSparrow November 2, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Recently I’ve been researching specifics about the Bible and while there is some very interesting information here, you may want to do the math on fact number 4. While it is true that the longest chapter in the Bible is 119 and the shortest is 117, 118 is not the middle chapter. I’ve personally done the math myself. It’s been said that the Bible has 594 chapters before Psalm 118 and 594 chapters after Psalm 118 but when you count them yourself, this is not so…

If you have come to 118 being the center by some other means, please let me know =)

David Peach November 7, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Excellent information! You are absolutely right. I know the middle chapter is 117 and not sure why I put 118. There are 594 chapters before and after Psalm 117.

Now, what should we do with my mistake? I will have it changed but leave info that it was originally wrong.

Thanks again for your catch.

Jesaya February 6, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Just found out that Psalm 118:8 is the middle verse
Somehow you were right David 😉

TheSparrow February 6, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Jesaya,

With all due respect, please do your research before making a claim. Psalm 118:8 is not the middle verse. Just because something is said to be true, does not make it so, we need to investigate it for ourselves. We as Christians are charged with spreading truth, even when it comes to little things like this. The enemy will take our words and use even such small mistakes as these to discredit us and the message we have for the world.

Wingtail February 26, 2013 at 5:26 am

Sparrow,

You are right to not take things for granted regarding the Bible and to check things out. This is why Paul praised the Bereans for this is exactly what they did. But I think you are getting confused here.

Psalm 117 is the middle Chapter of the Bible
Psalm 118:8/9 are the middle Verses of the bible.

Both are very powerful chapter/verses and just proves that God is amazing. But also bear in mind, the middle verse is different in other versions of the Bible. Psalm 118:8/9 is the middle of the King James version while it is different in other versions due to verses being ommitted.

TheSparrow February 26, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Wingtail,

From what I’ve researched I have uncovered that this is a false statement that has been circulating for quite a long time now. I will be the first to admit that while I have personally counted all the chapters of the Bible, I have not tried to personally count all the verses so what I am about to post could be wrong, with that said I am proposing that Psalm 188:8/9 is not the middle verses of the Bible according to web research I have done, again, not personal counting. Here is what I’ve found on several websites regarding the center of the KJV Bible:
BIBLE STATISTICS (King James Authorized):
Number of books in the Bible: 66
Chapters: 1,189
Verses: 31,102
Words: 783,137
Letters: 3,116,480
Number of promises given in the Bible: 1,260
Commands: 6,468
Predictions: over 8,000
Fulfilled prophecy: 3,268 verses
Unfulfilled prophecy: 3,140
Number of questions: 3,294
Longest name: Mahershalalhashbaz (Isaiah 8:1)
Longest verse: Esther 8:9 (78 words)
Shortest verse: John 11:35 (2 words: “Jesus wept”). This is the King James Bible. Some Bibles might be Job 3:2 (Job said.) but King James has that as “Job answered” which is longer than Jesus wept.
Middle books: Micah and Nahum
Middle verse: Psalm 103:2-3
Middle chapter: Psalm 117
Shortest chapter (by number of words): Psalm 117 (by number of words)
Longest book: Psalms (150 chapters)
Shortest book (by number of words): 3 John
Longest chapter: Psalm 119 (176 verses)
Number of times the word “God” appears: 4,094
Number of times the word “Lord” appears: 6,781
Number of different authors: 40
Number of languages the Bible has been translated into: over 1,200

Here’s the link as well http://agards-bible-timeline.com/q10_bible-facts.html

TheSparrow February 26, 2013 at 2:22 pm

*I meant 118:8/9 not 188:8/9.

mercedes November 6, 2012 at 2:52 pm

thanks a lot good for my homework

Mimi November 13, 2012 at 7:27 pm

I read an interesting comment the other day. It said, “If the Bible is just a book of fables and fairy tales, why is it banned in 52 countries? People don’t go to prison for reading the Illiad or The Odyssey.”

Mussa reuben December 14, 2012 at 3:00 pm

kareena December 17, 2012 at 12:03 pm

umm im still a kid and i am a christian.i love god and i hope to stay a christian forever.And this is a really good website for my homework! And can someone pray to help me keep up with my homework please?thanks 🙂

MG Fitz January 14, 2013 at 11:31 pm

I’m an actual Christian through-and-through, just to let that be known. I’m also a student at a Christian university that requires Theology classes. In one of these classes, we talked about all the contradictions in the Bible. There are many. I believe 2. Tim 3:16. The Bible is God-breathed, but were there 2 animals of each species on the ark? or 7? There are 2 stories in Genesis that straight-up contradict each other. God’s heart behind the stories is not contradictory; He stays the same, but the facts do seem to be opposite of one another. That’s just the first one that came into my head, there are more (mostly OT). I’m not here to rustle any feathers, but to hold myself and the writer to the end of 2. Tim 3:16 where we are told to teach, rebuke, correct and train one another. If this is inaccurate, I’d love to be taught that Scripture doesn’t contradict itself anywhere!

Jack Wellman January 15, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Hello MG. I am troubled that you are taking classes at a “Christian” university and they are saying that the Bible contradicts itself. Do they teach then that the Bible has error? This is troubling to me my friend. In my master classes in seminary, they addressed many of the “apparent” contradictions but revealed that the Bible does not contradict itself for we then are indirectly saying that God contradicts Himself since the Bible is the Word of God.

You mentioned the two stories in Genesis. For example, how many animals did Noah bring into the ark? Genesis 6:19-20 says two while Gen. 7:2-3 mentions seven. Therefore, both verses are listed and both Scriptures point to the same answer. In Genesis 7:2-3 “You shall take with you of every clean animal by sevens, a male and his female; and of the animals that are not clean two, a male and his female; also of the birds of the sky, by sevens, male and female, to keep offspring alive on the face of all the earth.”

Genesis 6:19-20 simply instructs Noah to preserve two of every kind. Genesis 7:2-3 is additional information where seven of the clean animals were to be taken and two of every other kind. The reason for this is that the extra animals were for sacrifice. “Then Noah built an altar to the LORD, and took of every clean animal and of every clean bird and offered burnt offerings on the altar,” (Gen. 8:20).

Logically, to have seven pairs also means that there are two pairs, since the two are included in the seven. If one verse said take only one pair and another verse said seven pairs, that would be a contradiction but these additional ones (or the 7) are for sacrifice. A good teacher at a “Christian” university should be able to read all of the chapters in their context for the Bible does not contradict itself for that is accusing God of being confusing and contradicting and God is not the Author of Confusion as stated in the Bible. Tell your professor that and see what he or she says. The answer is plain when studied in the entire contextual setting. Thanks.

Eric Robinson January 15, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Nice answer to MG, Jack. Thanks.

It is very disheartening to know this kind of thing is taught in seminaries and Bible colleges throughout America and yet it is–even on a very regular basis, I’m afraid. My very good friend for years decided to go into ministry and attended a VERY prestigious, southern seminary which would never be on anyone’s list of “liberal” Bible schools. He would call me every few months, however, just to get information that could once again firm up his foundational belief in the inspiration of Scripture. He was very saddened at the fact that the scholars which taught him, particularly the Old Testament scholars, would speak openly and derisively about the multiple errors in the biblical text. I was quite disheartened as well. Luckily, his faith in Scripture’s “God-breathed” quality remains firmly in tact, but he said that many of his classmates, he was sure, would not be able to weather the storm. It is a true challenge for the church today to have people put God and His teachings first when the seminary students that are becoming the pastors are very unsure of their own feelings about Scripture’s veracity.

Jack Wellman January 15, 2013 at 1:44 pm

So true Eric. I tell my congregation during sermons that “Part of my sermon today will be perfect! The part where I read out of the Bible.” LOL Otherwise, I have nothing to say outside of what the Bible says. My own opinion is no better than Oprah’s and you can not hang your hat on that!

How tragic that 85% of students at America’s largest Evangelical Seminary don’t believe in the inerrancy of Scripture and 74% of the Clergy in America no longer believe in the inerrancy of Scripture.

The Barna Research Group reported in 1996 that among American adults generally: 58% believe that the Bible is “totally accurate in all its teachings”; 45% believe that the Bible is “absolutely accurate and everything in it can be taken literally.”

Support dropped between that poll and another taken in 2001. Barna reported in 2001 that: 41% of adults strongly agrees that the Bible is totally accurate in all that it teaches. Seminary students, future pastors and leaders in the church, show very little support for the inerrancy of the Bible position. What does that foretell about the future of the church? The updated stats recently indicated an even further erosion of the belief of the veracity of Scripture.

If a pastor does not believe that the Bible is 100% accurate, then they need to quit the ministry, find another job, and let another pastor who takes God at His Word seriously (if indeed there are enough to do so). As it is written in Romans 3:4 “Not at all! Let God be true, and every man a liar” and in Numbers 23:19, “God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?”

I believe God. Thanks Eric for your edifying words. I wish we had more men like you behind the pulpit for as it has been said, “a mist behind the pulpit puts a fog in the pew.”

shannon January 28, 2013 at 9:38 am

thx u helped alot wiv me homework!!!

shannon January 28, 2013 at 9:41 am

what does da word ‘bible’ mean???

Jack Wellman January 28, 2013 at 10:11 am

Thank you Shannon. The word “Bible” comes from the Egyptian word for parchment, byblos. The Greek word biblios means books or scrolls. Later, it was translated into Latin, biblia, meaning “book.” The Bible is more than a single book. It is a library–ta biblia, which means “the books.” In this Bible library, as in any library, you will find a variety of books–prose, poetry, songs, prayers, history, folklore, sagas, wisdom, letters, parables, proverbs, prophecy, etc. The library of the Bible is divided into two large groups of books: The Old Testament and the New Testament.

Michael March 11, 2013 at 6:53 am

Just like to say what a good website this is. I am from New Zealand. I particularly like what Eric Robinson had to write in his post on September 21, 2012 at 10:13 am. It’s amazing, as just before I got to that posting I was thinking the exact same thing, that one of the most amazing things is that Jesus is revealed in the Old Testament. Just like the 2 disciples on the Emmaus Road were treated to the Lord himself revealing himself to them through the Old testament. It was just a few weeks ago that I was meditating on the passage Eric talks about in Genesis 40 about the cupbearer and the baker. What a wonderful picture of our precious Lord, who died for us so that we could be restored into right relationship with our Heavenly father. What an exchange, he who knew no sin became sin for us so we could be righteous before God by faith in Him. Another wonderful prophetic passage is Genesis 22 about Abraham offering up Isaac his beloved son as a sacrifice on a hill outside Jerusalem. For those not familiar with the typology in this passage, if you have a chance to read it and see Abraham as a picture of God the Father and Isaac as a type of Jesus, noting all the details that were fulfilled in the death and resurrection of our Lord. Another verse that has stirred my heart and mind is Genesis 3:24 “After he drove the man out, he place on the east side of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life”. At first this seems like a punishment to keep man out of God’s presence following their fall into sin, but actually it points to God’s wonderful grace to provide man a way back to the tree of life, which speaks of Christ. In fact the whole verse speaks of Christ in the sense that he is the Word (the Sword) see John 1:1, He is the way (way back) and he is the Life (tree of life)John 14:6. Oh what a saviour who makes a way for sinners to return to Him and receive eternal life. God bless you all in Jesus precious Name.

Eric Robinson March 11, 2013 at 10:36 am

Thank you, Michael, for your kind words. Yes, typology is a very favorite study of mine. The OT confirmations of our Lord are unfathomably intricate and rich. It dismays me, of course, that this kind of study has fallen from favor in the past 250-300 years. But I see some signs of it’s potential return, as well, which pleases me. Your own observations are very good, and certainly confirming to our faith. 🙂 The sacrifice of Isaac is certainly one of the most blatant of the types of Jesus but we can even miss details like the “third day” reference in Gen. 22:4, the son carrying the wood he will be sacrificed on in 22:6, and even the thorns around the head of the substitutionary sacrifice in 22:13. What a detailed picture of our incredible Savior’s sacrifice! God has truly left nothing to chance. Feel free to email me directly at ericmrob@gmail.com if you care to discuss further.

Jonathan April 2, 2013 at 8:22 am

I am retiring from the military next year and will have time/money to attend school if I choose. I will be 42, so attending college will be different…considering I will be older than most of the students.
Anyway, I have always been interested in Theology and have been thinking of enrolling in a Christian school to study the Bible, Christianity, etc. I’d really like to attend a well-known, well-respected spritual school and would not do well in a stuffy atmospherre. Can anyone here give me some good suggestions? Thank you.

Jack Wellman April 3, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Hello Jonathan. For one thing, thank you sir for serving our nation in your duty of defending our freedom and our nation.

Please forgive me for taking so long to respond. The author of this article often takes missionary trips and I am a bi-vocational pastor and so my time is on demand so much to but even so, I am sorry.

I believe that not all “Christian” schools teach, or at least their professors teach, that the Bible is inerrant or that is is without error so you must do some homework.

Hey, I got started in college in my forties too and an now trying to complete a masters (taking a long time however).

If I knew where you lived I could help you more. I don’t mean your address but your city or nearest city you live in. For example Moody Bible College is great, so is Dallas Theological Seminary, and Southern California Seminary. Or do you not want a seminary college degree? A seminary college degree will likely give you better theological teachings as compared to many more secular
Christian colleges. Not all Christian colleges are actually sound, many are liberal. Let me know sir.

Eric Robinson April 4, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Jonathan,

You want it to be well-repected but not stuffy? That narrows it down substantially, I think. 😉

Actually, I agree very much with Jack. I hate the way the terms “liberal” and “conservative” are tossed about so flippantly at times, but the fact is that many, many people who are new to theological studies have their faith eroded by attending “liberal” seminaries and Bible colleges. For instance, a friend of mine recently acquired his seminary degree at a VERY prominent Baptist seminary in Texas. But it was not without a severe challenge to his faith in the Scriptures. He would call me every couple of months telling me about the professors’ collective bent against the idea of the divine inspiration of the Bible, particularly manifest in their low opinion of the Old Testament (but certainly with the NT, also). We would talk and his faith would be bolstered and he went on to get his degree without significant difficulty. But he had a very strong faith to begin with and a very strong support system. The results for his classmates without such undergirding were not as good. Several disbelieved in the inerrancy of Scripture by the time their degree was finished. Many of them will now be leading congregations, focused on the Word of God which they themselves find riddled with inconsistency and error. This is highly problematic. Be careful. I find that the smaller schools are more likely to retain a sound view of God’s Word. Just interview a couple of profs before you make a final decision. Ask them if they feel the Word of God is written exactly as He intended it, down to the word, and even the letter. This will go a long way in helping make a good decision for the future.

Eric R.

PJ April 7, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I’m 17 I wasn’t brought up in a religious family we don’t do church but I find myself wanting to know more. I don’t know what I believe and I certainly don’t want someone to tell me what I should. Whats the options to find out more without been indoctrinated (sorry maybe the wrong word). It’s quite confusing Baptist, Anglican, Catholic, Evangelist just to name a few. I tried to read the bible but I can’t get into it it’s quite a difficult book well it’s not like a book at all really.
Any help is appreciated

David Peach April 29, 2013 at 5:20 pm

PJ, I understand your confusion and am also frustrated that things are the way they are. I won’t try to convince you of what you should believe or what church you should attend (though I obviously have my opinions).

I would recommend you make a plea to God (or whatever you want to call Him at this point) and ask Him to guide you. I believe He will hear your sincere heart and lead you to the truth.

But, like you have mentioned, you don’t necessarily need someone else to tell you or make your decisions for you. Ask God to guide you. He may end up doing it through a person or a particular church.

With all that said, I encourage you to jump back into the Bible and try to see it as one big book. Each book is a section that has a point. While it may seem disjointed at first, I think you will begin to see the continuity of it all.

Some people suggest starting in the book of John because of its easier-to-understand language. That may be an appropriate suggestion for someone who is somewhat familiar with the Bible. But if this is all new to you, then I recommend starting at the same place God did. Start in Genesis.

Look online for Bible book summaries to help give you an idea of what is contained in each book. These summaries should be factual and doctrine free. So you can make your own discoveries, but you will have some guidance as to what you are reading.

The vast majority of the stories in the Old Testament help you understand the background of the New Testament; therefore, I don’t know that you have to read all the Old Testament to understand the New Testament. Maybe read Genesis through Ruth and then Esther (just because it is a really cool story), then you might want to jump to the New Testament. The other books in the Old Testament are certainly important, but may start to drag on with too much history and confusing prophecy (most of which has already taken place).

Then in the New Testament start with any one, two, or all four of the “gospels.” Those are Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. Study the life of Christ and who He was. Continue to ask God to guide you and help you understand.

This is not something you can do in a week. It may take you a few months. Just stay open to the Lord and allow Him to guide you. Again, that may come by the way of a person or a book to help you. That’s OK. I trust that God will lead you in your search for truth.

Ienna April 29, 2013 at 8:43 am

The shortest verse in the bible is actually Job 3:2. It still has two words, but it is technically shorter because it has less letters. Job 3:2 is “He said.” with 6 letters and John 11:35 is “Jesus wept.” with 9 letters. 🙂 have a blessed day!

Pamela Rose Williams April 29, 2013 at 9:58 am

Hello lenna – I must disagree. Since David’s article quoted from the KJV of the Bible, to be fair Job 3:2 reads “And Job spake, and said,” thus making John 11:35 the shortest.

air rifle targets May 12, 2013 at 11:17 am

Wow, fantastic weblog layout! How lengthy have
you ever been running a blog for? you made blogging
glance easy. The full glance of your website is great, let alone the content
material!

Bode Modupe May 21, 2013 at 5:06 am

They are real useful stuff.

ernest ruta May 21, 2013 at 11:00 am

mr david peach. i thank the lord for using you the way he has. although i have concern. are people you are leading in these deaf ministries recieving healing? or they are staying deaf.

David Peach May 21, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Ernest, what kind of healing should they be receiving? Most of the Deaf I know (those who are culturally deaf, not just people who lost their hearing due to an accident or old age), don’t see that they need to be healed from anything. They speak a different language than hearing people, but they don’t see themselves as broken. Only hearing people see them that way.

To me and to my deaf friends your question is like asking if when I preach in Mexico if the people are healed and are now able to speak English.

Eric Robinson May 21, 2013 at 1:28 pm

This is a very good answer, David. Thank you.

I think that we have short-sold the gospel when we expect “healing” in every case of physical infirmity (or as you say, what I myself deem to be an infirmity). One of the elders in my church gave a blessing over our graduating seniors this last week (my son among them). This elder has end stage cancer and his mobility is now limited to a wheel chair. No doubt he has only a few months left in this world. But he began his blessing by saying that a close friend asked him two weeks ago if he had the chance to change his diagnosis four years ago and to live his life without cancer or to allow the diagnosis to remain the same and have the last four years of living every day knowing that the end was in sight, which would he choose. He said he never could have imagined that answering that question would be so difficult.

Isn’t that almost always the case. How many people who are dying or who have had some terrible misfortune (particularly with their health or daily bodily function) wind up saying that it is the best thing that ever happened to them? They say they wouldn’t know the joy of life and have the zeal for living that they now have if they had not experienced it. Who is to say that sometimes cancer, deafness, no limbs (Nick Vuyicic), or any other “terrible infirmity” is really not a gift from God to draw one closer to Him?

Thank you for the insights and for your ministry.

Jack Wellman May 21, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Thank you Mr. Robinson. Very excellent insight into suffering for Paul prayed 3 times to be healed and no one would accuse him of lacking faith.

I heard the testimony of Joni Eareckson Tada and she said that her paralysis was the best thing that could have ever happened to her and that she has never been closer to God in her pain, suffering, infirmities and disability than she could have ever been in good health. God used this to bring her to see her need for a Savior and that she can help point others to Christ because she understands what others thru similar situations endure. As you rightfully said, “Who is to say that sometimes cancer, deafness, no limbs (Nick Vuyicic), or any other “terrible infirmity” is really not a gift from God to draw one closer to Him?” I say amen. Thank you sir. You’re spot on as was David’s explanation.

michael May 22, 2013 at 12:29 am

i love God’s word! And will always stand for the truth!! I thank those who put together this forum and all those who contributed and i will like to let you all know i have learnt alot!!. I was born to a christian home but things changed when my parents divorced, although i dont do real bad stuffs but i know i have lost the Holyspirit, even when i rededicate my life i still fall back to sin after a little while cos i have no one to Guide me!!! I just need someone who can remind of God’s promises and teach me God’s word!!! i used to have a facebook friend who taught me alot but i cant contact him anymore!!! I just need a christain friend from anywhere!!! Pls

David Peach May 24, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Michael, I am glad you are finding help from these articles about God’s Word.

I want to help you see that when you have Jesus Christ as your Savior, you also have the Holy Spirit within you. This does not mean we always allow Him to lead, but promised that the Holy Spirit would indwell the life of believers (John 14). The Holy Spirit would become our comforter and teacher (John 14:26).

We have to listen to Him and heed what He is trying to show us. Like any teacher, it is possible to ignore His warnings and admonition.

If you have accepted Christ as your savior, I trust you will be encouraged by these words. It is possible that you have the Holy Spirit within you right now, but do not recognize His work in your life. 1 John 5 says that the Bible was written so that we can know that we have eternal life. I think we can draw from that statement that a person can be saved but not know it. However, the Bible is there to be the explanation that a person needs to understand his salvation and how it affects his life.

I trust you will continue to study God’s Word and grow in His promises.

Miykael Tevis June 17, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Hello,

I noticed that you did not include that Luke wrote the most in the New Testament. One would think Paul wrote most of the New Testament, when in reality, Paul only wrote more books, Luke wins in word count.

Just a little not-so-known fact.

Felix June 28, 2013 at 9:35 am

Please i want us to discuss Genesis 19:24

Miykael Tevis June 28, 2013 at 11:38 am

Yes Felix? And what would you like to know about this passage?

Joana Gutierrez August 1, 2013 at 4:48 am

Which Chapters in the Bible exactly the same
Some chapters word for word the same.
Which are they?

It was on July 10, 2012 These bible chapters was revealed to me by the Holy Spirit (NLT)

The Lord’s Covenant Promise to David
2 Samuel 7 = 1 Chronicles 17

David’s Military Victories
2 Samuel 8 = 1 Chronicles 18

David Defeats the Ammonites
2 Samuel 10 = 1 Chronicles 19

David’s Mightiest Warriors & David’s Thirty Mighty Men
2 Samuel 23 = 1 Chronicles 11

Hezekiah seeks the Lord’s help
2 Kings 19 = Isaiah 37

Hezekiah’s sickness and recovery
2 Kings 20 = Isaiah 38

Envoys from Babylon
2 King 20 = Isaiah 39

God is so gracious to me! -Joana-