Words of Encouragement: 30 Short Uplifting Quotes

Here is a collection of quotes that I hope will encourage you.  Share them with someone who needs to be encouraged and uplifted today or any day. I have also included a video of an upbeat song by Steven Curtis Chapman that I think will warm your heart. The video is just to the right. You will be singing it for the rest of the day.

Leaders of Countries Spoke Encouragement

I cried aloud to the LORD, and he answered me from his holy hill. Selah” ~ David, King of Israel & Judah

“It is said an Eastern monarch once charged his wise men to invent him a sentence to be ever in view, and which should be true and appropriate in all times and situations. They presented him the words: ‘And this, too, shall pass away’.’’ ~ Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the United States of America

“The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty” ~ Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of England during WWII

“… tie a knot and hang on”

“When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on. “ ~ Franklin D. Roosevelt, 32nd President of the United States of America

Other Prominent Men Encourage

“Put yourself in a state of mind where you say to yourself, ‘Here is an opportunity for me to celebrate like never before, my own power, my own ability to get myself to do whatever is necessary’.” ~ Dr. Martin Luther King, American Clergyman and Leader of Civil Rights Movement

“There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why… I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?” ~ Robert “Bobby” Kennedy, American Politician and Civil Right Activist

“If you hear a voice within you say “you cannot paint,” then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.” ~ Vincent Van Gogh, Dutch Painter

“When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us.” ~ Alexander Graham Bell, Scottish Scientist and Inventor

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” ~ Henry Ford, American Industrialist, Founder of Ford Motor Company

“I’d rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star, I’d rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are.” ~ Milton Berle, American Comedian and Actor

“It’s not whether you get knocked down. It’s whether you get up again.” ~ Vince Lombardi, American Football Coach

Famous Women Expressed Encouragement

“Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood.” ~ Helen Keller, American Author and Activist

“I may be compelled to face danger, but never fear it, and while our soldiers can stand and fight, I can stand and feed and nurse them.” ~ Clara Barton, Founder of the American Red Cross

“When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn. “ ~ Harriet Beecher Stowe, American Abolitionist and Author

“If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call ‘failure’ is not the falling down, but the staying down.” ~ Mary Pickford, Canadian-born Actress, co-founder of United Artists

“Life is very interesting. In the end, some of your greatest pains become your greatest strengths.” ~ Drew Barrymore, American Actress

“The greatest part of our happiness depends on our dispositions, not our circumstances.” ~ Martha Washington, first First Lady of the United States

“You must do the thing you think you cannot do.” ~ Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States from 1933-1945

Writers Wrote About Encouragement

“I have woven a parachute out of everything broken.”

“The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief.”  ~ Williams Shakespear, English Poet and Playwright

“When it is dark enough, you can see the stars.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, American Essayist and Poet

“I have woven a parachute out of everything broken.” ~ William Stafford, American Poet

“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.” ~ Henry David Thoreau, American Author, Poet and Abolitionist

The Bible is a Great Source of Encouragement

“Anxiety in a man’s heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad.~ Solomon, King of Israel; Proverbs 12:25

“… fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” ~ Almighty God; Isaiah 41:10

“For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome. For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world— our faith.” ~ John, son of Zebedee; 1 John 5:3-4

“My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand. I and my Father are one.” ~ Jesus of Nazareth; John 10:27-30

“The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,
 and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.” ~ Paul of Tarsus; Romans 8:16-17

“Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.” ~James, the brother of Jesus Christ; James 1:12

“Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.” ~ Simon Peter; 1 Peter 5:6-8

If this article was helpful to you, please consider linking this article to your own blog or sharing this through the social buttons to the left. You might also find some of these other articles helpful:

21 Uplifting Quotes for Times of Despair

20 Bible Verses to Comfort the Hurting

Sources -The Holy Bible, King James Version, The Holy Bible, English Standard Version, “Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version® (ESV®), copyright © 2001 by Crossway, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.”, Youtube.com “Do Everything” by Steven Curtis Chapman

Image: Simon Howden / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Image: ahmet guler / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Jack October 4, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Beautifully done my friend. One of my favorites from my old teaching days was that “They (students) don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care.” Thanks Pam. Another sterling performance in words.

Pam October 4, 2011 at 8:21 pm

So glad you liked it Jack. Thanks for the words of encouragement 🙂 Blessings!

Josh October 4, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Fantastic article, Pam. I pray this bring encouragement to many. I especially like that the first quote was King David calling out to the Lord. This is a lesson I need to remember when in need of encouragement in calling out the Lord First!

Pam October 4, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Yes indeed. That verse is a theme verse here at Selah Mountain Ministries. Don’t go to the Lord last but first. So easy to forget when we are in the fire storm. Thanks for the kind words Josh, glad you liked the article. Blessings to you and yours!

Colleen Jameson January 23, 2012 at 9:49 am

Please give me some encouragement about devotions for church. I was assigned Romans Chapter 8 verses 1-10. I am at a loss as to what to put in the booklet for Lent . We can use an explanation or add a poem or saying for this work. Thanks for helping.
Colleen

Pam January 23, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Hi Colleen,
There are quite a few commentaries that have been written on this popular passage in Scripture. Here are a few that might help you to prepare for your devotions:

http://www.christnotes.org/commentary.php?b=45&c=8&com=wes (Wesley’s Explanatory Notes)

http://www.christnotes.org/commentary.php?b=45&c=8&com=mhc (Matthew Henry’s Concise Commentary)

http://www.biblegateway.com/resources/commentaries/?action=getChapterSections&cid=53&source=2&schap=8 (BibleGateway’s Commentary)

http://www.easyenglish.info/bible-commentary/romans-lbw.htm (An easy English Commentary)

I hope this is helpful to you.

Ramona Vanessa Ram-Persaud August 28, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Praise the Lord. I am greatly encouraged by these words. keep the good work up. God bless you.

Colleen Jameson January 24, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Thanks Pam for sending. I will try and find something to write from your list.

Elena February 14, 2012 at 2:02 pm

thank you for your website. I want to learn how to encourage people and while searching I came across your site.
May God keep blessing you and may your site help others.

Julia Kwashira February 20, 2012 at 7:27 am

Please Continue to Notify me via my email all the artcals were so helpful

Pam February 20, 2012 at 9:30 am

Hi Julia. I am very pleased that you are helped through these quotes and Scriptures. Thank you for taking time to leave your encouraging words here and stop by again soon.

Peter D'Antonio February 22, 2012 at 6:48 am

My son is in a difficult place and I try to send him daily encouragement. Your quotes are so helpful. Thank you

Pam February 22, 2012 at 8:36 am

Peter I will pray for your son. Thank you for leaving your encouraging comment here and please drop by again soon. Blessings!

aurora February 27, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Thank you for sharing this page with us my uncle is in a hard situation and I’m trying to help him and encourage him also I pray that he accepts the Lord in his heart blessings

Pam February 27, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Hi Aurora, Thanks for leaving your comment here because now I know I need to pray for “Aurora’s Uncle”, that his heart may be softened and ready to receive the gift of grace. I am so happy that you found something you needed here at WCWTK, drop in again soon.

duduzile April 21, 2012 at 1:52 am

Wow this words of encouragement made m see things in a different way. Am a student. I sumtyms find it hard to cope at skul n think of quiting. After reading this, am gona look at things wit a positive mind.

theresa March 4, 2012 at 9:40 am

my son is in jail every letter i write on the back of the envelope i writea scripture some encouraging words thank you for you sight ,

Winnie March 7, 2012 at 3:25 am

Thank you so much for sharing. May God richly bless you

NICKSON March 9, 2012 at 7:30 am

This site has been equipping me and the people in my fellowship in Kenya Africa. May God do you well.

jimmy March 13, 2012 at 3:28 am

Great work.
May God continue to be with you and aid you.

Katherine Saul March 15, 2012 at 6:47 am

Thnx for all this encouragements and the bible quotes!!!God’s Blessing upon you!!

Isaac April 5, 2012 at 9:06 am

Nice work Pam, may the good Lord increase you in wisdom and anointing in Jesus name amen.

lizzy April 8, 2012 at 4:35 pm

This ‎​ȋ̊s very nice pam. ‎​am reading this all the way 4rm Nigeria…
It interest ‎​Mε̲̣̣̣̥ reading this. Infact ‎​Ȋ Ơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡.̮Ơ̴̴͡ luk @ it all d time…n it keep My memory strong. Tnx n keep it up.

jemimah April 10, 2012 at 8:09 am

I am in problems, please help me with prayers. I feel as if this the end of me.

Jack April 10, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Hello Jemimah. I will be praying for you and put you on my prayer list my friend. I am sorry you are having problems. This is not the end I pray. Please have hope in God and faith in Christ for He will never cast you away (John 6:37) and you are in Jesus and the Father’s hand and no one or no thing can snatch you out of His or the Father’s hand. Please believe this for its in the Word of God, the Bible. Please keep in touch and let us know how its going with you please.

henry April 13, 2012 at 3:09 pm

pam, I have read and read Every time I open it. And if I look at your quote it make me cry. I cry when i’m look at my life things are going wrong way to me, I just don’t know what to do. Please you and your husband please and please seriously pray for me.send me to my e-mail please thanks.. I love you

Pansy April 24, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Many thanks Pan for these verses. I am going throgh an awful time at work, this has had a detremental effect on my health, which resulted in me having to take tablets for depression and high blood pressure. I am a firm believer in Christ, I am moving towards being babtized soon. Pray for me and the people who are making my work life a misery.
God bless you for these verses I have only just found your website and I will definitely visit it again daily.

Pamela Rose Williams April 24, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Hello to all who have left comments here. Those whom have asked for prayers, please know you are at the top of my list. Has everyone listed to that lovely song in the upper right of this page? It will brighten your day. I love you all and pray blessings on you.

Ben April 25, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Hi Pam, Great list. One that I’ve always appreciated was
“A Christian is like a tea bag: useless until put into hot water.”

Pamela Rose Williams April 26, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Hi Ben, thank you for taking the time to leave your kind words for me. Also — WOW! OK, now I must use that saying of yours because I love tea.

precious morgan May 1, 2012 at 10:02 am

This words of encouragements, has really been of help to me, may God all mighty continue to you wisely in Jesus name amen•

sthe May 12, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Thankx 4 this. Encouraging quote I’m 19 years old nd faced with many dificulties in my lyf

kamogelo May 13, 2012 at 11:14 am

Thank you for the nice encouraging words and I really enjoyed it . may God continue to bless you

Angel May 18, 2012 at 8:55 am

Thank you for the encouraging words. I really encouraged by your site and may our loving God continuously bless you and ur ministries. God bless everyone who read these encouraging and uplifting words.

monicah May 20, 2012 at 5:43 am

thats great

Chris May 27, 2012 at 8:49 am

Very nice 🙂

Namboowa Josephine May 31, 2012 at 4:56 am

Thank you for your encouragement words and the bible quotes which are uplifting, i have just really found this web site. i have enjoyed it. May the Almighty GOD bless you continuously.

Deng Chan Chan June 12, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Very encouraging website.

Akin john June 15, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I love dis

jenny June 18, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Beautiful

kwaching Jessica June 26, 2012 at 5:49 am

i went for a job interview and i was not picked because i do not have a motto bike, i was confused and i told my self to open my laptop and make good use of it thanks very much to site and the encouragement words am not worry at all because i know there is a place waiting for me.

Sunday john June 30, 2012 at 10:08 am

Am lifted thank u.

Pamela Rose Williams July 2, 2012 at 12:53 pm

I am so blessed to see how many are being blessed by these words from the Bible. Thank you all for your encouraging comments.

ALIKSON KEPHAS July 3, 2012 at 8:06 am

PAM I READ ALL THE COMMENTS FROM ALL THESE PEOPLE,AND IT INTERSTING. PLEASE HELP ME AND MY SMALL FAMILY (PRAY) FOR US, SO THAT WE CAN BUILD A STRONG FAMILY BOND.I ALSO NEED ENCOURAGMENT WORDS AND BIBLE QUOTES FROM YOU.THAK YOU AGAIN.

WELBECK July 11, 2012 at 1:11 am

My soul is lifted, things that hitherto i perceive to be difficult now i can do them with ease. GOD richly bless you. AMEN

Zoliswa Mphekeleni July 11, 2012 at 9:28 am

Many thanks to the wisdom words that you gave us and allowing us to see that the lord our god can fullfill our dreams and hope but we must believe

Thanks God bless you. Amen and Amen

Nikky July 12, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I was almost discouraged again by my husbands reactions to me when i discovered this site and after going through the bible passages,i was lifted spiritually,God bless you ma.

mohammed July 24, 2012 at 8:19 am

THANKS U VERY MUCH FOR YOUR WRDS OF ENCOURAGEMENTS,iTS HELP ME A LOT ON HOW TOMOVE WT MY LIFE..

osin joseph July 31, 2012 at 10:03 am

Thank for your encouraging words,I just had a relief in my heart.Despite my challenges,I no that I’m climbing to my season of greater Glory.God Bless you and your family.

osin joseph July 31, 2012 at 10:04 am

Thank for your encouraging words,I just had a relief in my heart.Despite my challenges,I no that I’m climbing to my seasons of greater Glory.God Bless you and your family.

aj July 31, 2012 at 3:40 pm

thanks so much

amanda July 31, 2012 at 3:43 pm

thankyou this just lifted up my day. 🙂

Stelina Nankabirwa August 11, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Thanks so much for encouragements dears

Stelina Nankabirwa August 11, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Thanks so much for encouragements dears this really rubs tears

addisu August 13, 2012 at 2:33 am

Thanks

Linda Chagoya August 16, 2012 at 6:03 am

Love to read this quotes!!!

Pamela Rose Williams August 16, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Just read through comments again. I am blessed by everyone who leaves comments here. Have you all viewed the video in the upper right of the page … you will be encouraged by this upbeat tune.

Bruce August 21, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Thanks. I’m bookmarking this post.

Pamela Rose Williams August 22, 2012 at 7:50 pm

So happy to be on your bookmarks Bruce. But I would suggest you change the bookmark to http://whatchristianswanttoknow.com so that you can continually visit to read our frequent posts. Lord bless you!

pauline moraa August 23, 2012 at 9:18 am

the message has really improved my inner feeling and has encouraged me as a youth.continue motivating the young generation with the same.Almighty God bless……

Pamela Rose Williams August 23, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Thank you for your kind words Pauline. God is good!

Daisy Diau August 24, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Please help me in prayer i need your prayers i lost my ‘love’ for God more problems are coming in..