Bible Verses About Sin: 10 Important Scriptures

by Josh Wiley · Print Print · Email Email

What does the Bible say about sin? The Bible is very clear on the subject of sin in that everyone is guilty of sin, God hates sin, God found a way through Jesus for us to be forgiven of sin. Feel free to use these sin Bible scriptures for a devotional, Sunday school lesson or topical Bible study.

We Are All Sinners

Romans 3:23  For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard.

Isaiah 64:6 We are all infected and impure with sin. When we display our righteous deeds, they are nothing but filthy rags. Like autumn leaves, we wither and fall, and our sins sweep us away like the wind.

We Need To Confess Our Sin

Proverbs 28:13 People who conceal their sins will not prosper, but if they confess and turn from them, they will receive mercy.

Hosea 5:15  Then I will return to my place until they admit their guilt and turn to me. For as soon as trouble comes, they will earnestly search for me.”

God Forgives Our Sin

1 John 1:7-9 But if we are living in the light, as God is in the light, then we have fellowship with each other, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, cleanses us from all sin.  If we claim we have no sin, we are only fooling ourselves and not living in the truth. But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness.

Forgiving One Another’s Sins

Luke 17:3-4 So watch yourselves!    “If another believer sins, rebuke that person; then if there is repentance, forgive. Even if that person wrongs you seven times a day and each time turns again and asks forgiveness, you must forgive.”

Examples of Sin

Colossians 3:5-6   So put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you. Have nothing to do with sexual immorality, impurity, lust, and evil desires. Don’t be greedy, for a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world.  Because of these sins, the anger of God is coming.

Galatians 5:19-21  When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, the results are very clear: sexual immorality, impurity, lustful pleasures, idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, division,  envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other sins like these. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God.

Victory Over Sin

1 Corinthians 15:57 But thank God! He gives us victory over sin and death through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Romans 8:1 So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus.

I pray that these Bible Verses on sin helped you to see sin the way God does. Please feel free to add any other sin Scriptures in the comments so this will be a better resource for those that find it. For those who have not accepted Jesus into their lives and are ready to accept Jesus please see below which is a portion of an article Jack Wellman wrote about Signs of the Second Coming of Jesus.

HOW TO RECEIVE & KNOW YOU HAVE ETERNAL LIFE

• Admit – that you are a sinner and in need of a Savior (Rom 6:23)
  • Abandon – self-effort and realize that you can not be saved by your works or your own efforts (Acts 16:31)
  • Accept freely Christ’s payment for your sins, required of the Father (John 3:16)
  • Acknowledge Jesus Christ as your personal lord and Savior (Acts 4:12)

Resources: WWW.BIBLEGATEWAY.COM The Holy Bible, New Living Translation. Scripture quotations marked (NLT) are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

ogunji damilare August 24, 2011 at 8:53 am

Am very happy with this site and i love this site,for me this is site good for all Christian that like the words of God, and i wish to know more about this site.
Thanks very much God bless you all, Amen.

Jack August 24, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Ogunji, thank you for your comment. Josh has written an excellent article. Please let us know how we can help you. I pray you are near a Bible-believing church where you live and they teach from the Bible and the main this they speak about is Jesus Christ and the cross of Calvary. Let us know what we can do to help you in your walk with Christ Jesus. Thank you for visiting our site.

sam September 3, 2011 at 4:28 pm

i rely must confess that this site is very okay for christian who need growth in their spiritual life am happy to see this

ANDERSON November 24, 2011 at 3:14 am

Am thanking God for the inspiring work you are doing in fact there is a reward for you here on earth and also in heaven. The scriptures are of great help to me on how to avoid what is sinful in the eyes of God.

abby December 27, 2011 at 9:38 pm

JAMES 1:12-15

Blessed is the one who endures temptation, for he has stood the test and will receive the crown of life. Do not say that you are tempted by God ,for He Himself was tempted by the evil one. But one is tempted by his own evil desire. Then, when the desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin and when it is full grown gives birth to death

Ben Mertelus February 24, 2013 at 9:17 pm

csan someone explain this vers to me

Jack Wellman February 24, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Thank you for your question over James 1:12-15 which says, ” Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.

13 When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; 14 but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed. 15 Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin;and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.”

God does not tempt mankind to sin. We are carried away by our own temptations when we don’t resist them and this leads to sin. As for the “test”, God allows trials not so much to build our faith but to see how strong it is. This “test” shows how much we will trust God for our various trials and sufferings. Is that what you were asking sir?

Ben Mertelus February 24, 2013 at 9:17 pm

can someone explain this verse to me

Emmy January 8, 2012 at 12:18 am

Well done.may d lord continue to help u.

Okafor A February 10, 2012 at 3:16 am

Each time i open to this site, i forget about meals. The taste of this food in this site is very nourishing. Kudos to all that made this site readable and available. I now know God more and my in depth knowledge of Him makes me too happy.
May God increase the authors the more

Pam February 10, 2012 at 10:56 am

Hello Okafor A, Oh I just had to take time to thank you for your words of encouragement! I just love how you said this … you forget about meals. Praise the Lord that His Word is nourishing you. I am so honored and humbled every time we receive comments from our readers. Thank you for being a blessing to us and feel free to stop by again anytime.

Josh February 10, 2012 at 12:03 pm

What an awesome comment Okafor. Thanks for that encouragement.

Jack February 10, 2012 at 1:59 pm

I join Pam and Josh in thanking you for such a wonderful comment Okafor. This hunger for the Word of God truly shows me that the Holy Spirit is alive and working in you to grow you in His grace and knowledge. Please come back again soon my friend.

Dorothy February 16, 2012 at 4:17 am

Hi,
This site is very helpful. I am posting because I have learned my friend is satanic or belives just in satan. His reason are because he thinks if you murder someone or you lie that even though you accept christ one sin is greater than the other one therefore he thinks murder should be unforgiveable. Im stumped on how to lead him in the right path. I dont judge him for his beliefs he is a good person I just think if I was more equipt on how to explain the scripture to him so he doesnt feel judged. I would appreciate any help because im trying to be well equipt enough to help open his eyes

Jack February 16, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Hello Dorothy. What a good friend you are and what a wonderful thing to do. You are a true friend. You might tell your friend that King David, who was said to be “a man after God’s own heart” will rule with Christ in heaven, yet David committed murder, conspiracy to commit murder, adultery, and more (all punishable by death then) yet God forgave David. Read Psalm 51 and show that even David repented and was accepted by God. There is no sin that God is not willing and able to forgive.

Perhaps my favorite verse is 1 John 1:9 “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” This means ALL sin is forgiven if we confess it. In fact, even Moses murdered an Egyptian and God used Moses in a mighty way.

“These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, in order that you may KNOW you have eternal life.” (1 John 5:13)

Finally, Jesus says, “Now this IS eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.” John 17:3

Let us know if this helps or you need more info and let us know how it goes with your friend. Please have him read this article from us called “What is the Unforgivable Sin? A Biblical Analysis.” at http://www.whatchristianswanttoknow.com/what-is-the-unforgivable-sin-a-biblical-analysis/

Paige February 3, 2013 at 9:25 am

So do you not believe in the seven deadly sins?

Jack Wellman February 3, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Hello Paige. What makes you think that I don’t believe in the seven deadly sins? Actually all sin is deadly and it only takes one sin to condemn us unless a person has put their trust in Christ. Please read:

about the seven deadly sins. Thank you Paige.

Dorothy February 18, 2012 at 4:41 am

Thank you jack for that information. I had already explained those reasinings to him. The thing is somethings happened to his sister some guys took her inocence. Its a sad situation but he disagrees withthat they should be forgiven he see’s what happened is unforgiveable and that they shouldn’t be forgiven period. That is why he has chosen to be satanic.

Jack February 18, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Dorothy, I am so sorry. This truly is a work of God alone that can make the difference. The only thing we frail and weak humans can do is pray. It is not the least thing we can do but the very most thing we can do and so I will pray for him again. There is only One Who can break this satanic hold and it is by the power of God alone Who can do all things. He has made a very serious decision and you are to be commended for at least caring and not giving up Dorothy. I thank God for such godly women like you that you care enough to try to help and surely our prayers will be all that we can do but the most effective thing as well. Please keep praying and keep in touch and Jesus will reward you for trying to bring people out of the pit of hell to deliver them to eternal life thru Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior.

Samuel B May 20, 2012 at 12:34 pm

One thing I noted is more U learn teach other it make U prefect & save the dieing world.(Go for JESUS assignment: MATTHEW 28:18-20). As for JOSH WILEY You have have no lemet U are going above the SKY.Thanks & GOD BLESS…

jerry u.n May 23, 2012 at 5:41 am

Thank u so much pst. jack l also know that man’s problem is nothing but heart we pray that Almighty will help us to guide our heart with all deligent am happy for u.God bless u 07037194819 (nig)

Jack May 23, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Amen Jerry my friend. Well said. Thank you.

Phillip May 29, 2012 at 1:44 am

The word “sin” is Latin, and it means “without “. It is not some great mystery. James tells us plainly what sin is at James 4:17. “ANYONE then, who knows the good he ought to do, and doesn’t do it ,SINS. Jesus said:” Why do you call me Lord,Lord,and do not do what I say? (Luke 6:46) They prefer to act on their own, ” WITHOUT ” the authority of God. That’s called “worldliness”. They use “self-help” books as their guide,NOT the word of God.You know,”The power of positive thinking”,”How to win friends and influence people”, Wayne Dyer,Deepak Chopra,etc. And they read (listen to this),Christian fiction novels rather than God’s word.

seetharamaiah paul June 2, 2012 at 1:25 am

very good messages

zimi June 8, 2012 at 3:50 pm

You christian hippocrytes are the plague of the whole world!

Jack Wellman June 8, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Thank you Zimi for your comment. Truly a Christian can live a life of duplicity. We are not sinless but we sin less and the difference is that we are forgiven. Jesus died for this “plague of the whole world” (John 3:16). I am no better than you Zimi. If there is any good thing in me, it was from without of my own self.

Samali David June 12, 2012 at 4:10 am

Thank God i discover this site today, so reach and well loaded with things that are of eternal value. May the Almighty God continue to use you to reach as many as possible before the coming of our Lord Jesus. (AMEN)

Jombo Rosemary June 13, 2012 at 5:24 am

Thank God for this site… I always feel safe, relief and great each time i read the word of God…. Still belivin God for a pure heart to serve him in spirit and in truth…

Sunday john June 30, 2012 at 9:27 am

Sir, i want to appriciate u, for the light of the word of God u av trow into the world to lighting the world from destroction. More Grace and Favour upon ur life, family and ministry. Thanks.

Ezekiel Jones July 4, 2012 at 6:15 pm

you’ve really touched me by your teaching and so my the strengthen you the more in Jesus Name

Mas July 9, 2012 at 5:38 pm

I hear you all but i have sinned several times and confessed but i still kept on doing the very same thing and now i don’t know where i stand with GOD but anyway thanx for all who contributed on this website it has given me courage i hope i will change as time goes by and GOD will be able to forgive me again.

Jack Wellman July 9, 2012 at 5:58 pm

My friend, welcome to the club. You are not alone for sure. I can identify with you. My greatest sin might be pride. That is a wicked one indeed. Shame on me when I boast, but only in Christ can I truly brag. I have one of my favorite verses to share with you. I John 1:9 which says, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” Isn’t that why the call it the Good News!? PS, Please read this article below and see why battling sin is a lifetime experience and God’s forgiveness never, ever runs out. Thank you Mas for your comment and honest transparency. I can’t cast any stones at anyone except at myself.

Lydia July 19, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I have a person who tried to tell me that when he was saves he was no longer a sinner, he also told me that he could pray someone dead and it wasn’t wrong..he would also use profanities and told me that since I am a girl I could not speak my mind religion wise.
My father is a baptist preacher so I know those things are false…how would you explain the truth to him without dropping to his level

Jack Wellman July 19, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Lydia, we are all sinners, even after we are saved. I urge you to have him read 1 John chapter 1. I sense that he has not been reading his bible. You obviously know the Bible better. Have your friend read 1 John 1:8-10 and see what he says: “If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us.”

Tell your friend that if he says he is not a sinner, then he makes God out to be a liar and in verse 10 it says that God’s word is not in him. Ouch! Have him read 1 John 1:8-10 and see if he still says that he is not a sinner.

This guy is no Christian in my opinion for Jesus said what comes out of the mouth reveals what is in his heart. He is breaking the commandments and the New Testament teachings (Eph 4:29) and Colossians 3:8 “But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and FILTHY language from your lips.”

Just because you are a girl has nothing to do with his being a sinner and a foul mouth. You are right. He is wrong. I don’t believe the guy is regenerate. Luke 6:45 says that out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks and condemns him. Write these down and see if his self-righteousness disappears. If it doesn’t, this man is headed to hell. You must warn him.

Anderson July 20, 2012 at 5:30 am

Lydia. 1st John 1;8 Have him read if he believes in the bible. When Adam and Eve sinned against God that’s the time all human beings were regarded sinners in the eyes of God. In the new testament; “FOR ALL HAVE SINNED AND FALLEN SHORT OF THE GLORY OF GOD” Therefore ALL are sinners

Anderson July 20, 2012 at 5:32 am

Romans 3:23

Norman Silva July 20, 2012 at 9:58 am

Josh,

1 John 1:9 has become the “Christian’s bar of soap” but very few have actually studied the verses before and after (as we should always do) to put the verse in context.

If you apply the antithesis rule to the verse, you will see it is obviously not for Christians….”If we DO NOT confess our sins, He is NOT faithful and just to FORGIVE our sins and to CLEANSE us from all UNRIGHTEOUSNESS”. All our sins HAVE been forgiven past, present and future. As Christians we cannot ask Jesus Christ to do something He has already done. Read Hebrews.

John was writing a letter to the elders/pastors who had mixed congregations of saved and lost. There were Gnostics who believed that they were without sin – John was correcting them – “if we say we have no sin”…… He then explained in 1:9 how to get saved. There were other beliefs of theirs that he also addressed.

We often hear about the “parental forgiveness” and “judicial forgiveness” as relating to “breaking of fellowship with God” when we sin. This is a man made teaching and is nowhere to be found in Scripture. 1 Cor. 1:9 (fancy that) says we have been brought into fellowship with God through Jesus Christ. We are brought into fellowship when we get saved – never to be broken.

Of course a Christian must acknowledge when he has sinned and agree with God that his actions are wrong but nowhere in Scripture is the believer told to confess his sins. How can we, by our actions make ourselves more acceptable to God? That’s works. We didn’t WORK to get our salvation and we can’t WORK to keep it.

The teaching that 1 John 1:9 is for Christians, keeps Christians in a state of confusion and does not allow them to “enter into the rest”.

What do they do about the sins they have forgotten about and don’t “confess”? They live in a constant state of worry – I used to do that. I would start my prayer time with “Lord, please forgive me of the sins I’ve committed knowingly and unknowingly…..”. That’s just not Scriptural. The Lord HAS forgiven our sins. Thinking like this is not believing in the finished work of the cross.

What I have found when sharing this with Christians is that they put forward all sorts of arguments/points, none of which are based on Scripture.

I hope this will help some Christians out there like it helped me.

In Him,

Norman Silva.

Lydia July 21, 2012 at 9:10 am

Thank you! I just gave him these verses and hopefully Gods word will not go forth void! I pray God works and that this man will come to the knowledge of the Lord. People like that make Christians sound crazy and he comes from a Good church in Michigan! He always tell me I’m baring false witness because I question him…hopefully he will realize the mistake he has made thinkin and verbalizing such false rediculousness! God bless!

Johannes August 15, 2012 at 5:04 am

Hi all. I always believed in God more or less but I found the bible and church not that interesting. After a spiritual part of my life I was so convinced of God and of his will for me to change my ways that I had to search for the truth. I had one thing and one thing alone established already that God was the voice inside me, in my heart, if I followed that voice and trusted it, surely I would to the right in life. For what else can you do then to follow your impulses, especially when they feel like the right thing to do? Why don’t we always follow this voice then? Fear maybe? Fear of what others might think? Fear of failure? Or something else? Do everyone hear this voice? I always have but according to bible if you are deep in sin maybe you can’t hear it anymore, I can’t relate to that even though my sins are many and severe. Im not here to tell you what the bible says you can read that for yourself. I come to tell you what the spirit is.

The spirit is in your heart, its your soul, the conscience that speaks to you. After I realized that God wanted me to find truth I started searching mythologies, philosophy and different religious scriptures for this same truth, that God/holy spirit is the voice inside. There is no doubt in my mind that the bible is the word of truth for it accurately describes the relationship one has with God and the spirit. I also have no doubt that the christian god is the same as sokrates, platon, descartes, newton, einstein believed in. Along with many other eastern philosopher that I only very briefly looked into.

I can relate to so many things in the bible that I experienced during a hard spiritual time in my life. A book containing such spiritual truths surely is the work of the almighty. I only wished to be a better man, I wished honestly and truly that I would change for a better man and I felt Gods grace coming down on me. I am ashamed to say it but I sinned even after this, it made me depressed and made me cry and be ashamed of myself. I begged for strength to stop my sinning and gradually it has come. The only thing you can do to stop the lust for sins is to really try and stop sinning and pray to god for strength to succeed. You gotta try, try your best, and you have to want it. If a sin is to hard to let go off, start somewhere else. My sins were many and I started with not eating animals (who you think God looked away from Cains offering). Cause the more you sin the more you love it. Eating meat now feels like eating just that, dead flesh. As with all sins after you managed to free yourself they do turn disgusting in your eyes. I also found that I could never be truly free from my sins until I confessed them. So I confessed almost all my sins to my wife. I have one more confession to make and it burns in my heart to not yet have told it but I will as soon as I feel courageous and strong enough. I do believe that confession to a loved one is necessary to free one self of the sins. After my confession my life seemed so much better. And if that person truly loves you they will forgive. If they don’t maybe its best to move on and find love somewhere else?

The spirit is inside us, it is in your heart, it is that voice inside you that knows what is right. If you follow this voice you walk with god. But where do you think this voice leads in a life of sin? Where does it lead if you live righteously? Does the voice even speak to someone deep in sin? If you are deep in sin its time to work hard to follow this voice in righteousness. If not now then when? Maybe you have no chance in 1 year maybe your time is out? By repenting and wishing to change your ways you can get free from sin and love all that is life. In my case the Lord himself rebuked me and shook me up to get me to understand. I don’t know how I deserved this but I am grateful.

Now dont take any of my words for truth. As I yet haven’t confessed all my sins I cannot be seen as a righteous man who speaks the truth. However you can test the truth of what I am saying by listening to your own heart. A non believer will never understand this but your heart has the truth if you listen. You know what is right. Read 1 John 5 if you have any doubt on that this is what the bible says.

What is Gods command? Well he tells you through the spirit. In your heart is the truth, dreams, goals, who you wanna be, what you wanna do. You should pursue these goals then you walk with God. There is no one else who can tell you what you should do in life. No priest, no parent, no friend or shrink. This truth what you should do, what commands you should obey they are in your heart. And if in doubt turn to the scriptures. Gods will surely does not involve sinning.

And that is the only way to stop sinning. Living the life you should according to your heart. So repent and stop living the life you dont wanna live. Stop living a life in sin and follow your heart. You know whats right.

The name of God is “I AM that I AM”
Who are you? You are who you are. Listen to yourself, look on yourself. Don’t like what you see? Pray for change.

Johannes August 15, 2012 at 5:14 am

I wanna add that the confession you make to someone obviously is sins committed against this person. The rest is between you and God.

baraka mchaka September 8, 2012 at 8:04 am

thank you very much for ur holy messages, i appriciate u guys. May GOD, JESUS CHRIST bless you and your work of educating people about bible.

Josh September 8, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Thanks for your encouraging comment Baraka. Please visit us again at WCWTK!

johnson tunde September 9, 2012 at 2:41 am

I thank the almighty GOD,for such a great and inspiring site like this cos it has realy made a wonderful impact in my life and family.realy its loaded with trasforming bible verses that has the ability to change life for good oh am happy GOD BLESS YOU.

Gordon A. September 17, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Hi,

Thank u so much for the stuff you’ve put in this website. May God richly bless you – all those involved in the propagation of God’s word in this end times. I was born a christian. However overtime I went astray and committed various sins. I have since come back to the christian faith and is an active member of the Pentecost Church in Ghana. How can I be sure that God has forgiven my sins. When you talk about confessing ones sins, how do you do it – is it enough to pray to God to forgive you your sins or you have to do more. Please answer me for it will help me. Thank you.

Linda October 6, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Hi Gordon,

I noticed your paragraph while I looked at this site in preparation for a Bible Study lesson. I appreciate your openness and your questions. May I have the honor of addressing your statement. First, no one is born a Christian. Romans 3:23 says “For all have sinned, and fall short of the glory of God.” We are born into a sinful world with the sin nature we inherited from Adam. Do you know that Genesis 1:27 says (in part) “So God created mankind in his own image” but Genesis5:3 says “When Adam had lived 130 years, he had a son in his own likeness, in his own image.” Now what’s the dffenence? Adam was created without sin, but in his free will, he chose to disobey the command of God. This brought the curse of separation from God and Adam’s offspring were created in his (Adam’s) sinful nature…separated from God. That’s why Jesus came to die for the sins of the world, to restore the separation between God and man.

Now Josh has laid out the plan of salvation at the end of this blog beautifully. 1. Acknowledge that you are a sinner and separated from a holy God. (Rom 6:23)

2. Abandon – self-effort and realize that you can not be saved by your works or your own efforts (Acts 16:31)

3. Accept freely Christ’s payment for your sins, required of the Father (John 3:16)

4. Acknowledge Jesus Christ as your personal lord and Savior (Acts 4:12)

I hope these words will encourage you and that you will make an active profession of faith in Jesus Christ as your Savior.

kim October 30, 2012 at 3:18 am

Gordon A.
It is always God’s desire that we His Children will realize our mistakes and return to Him. His word says in 1 John 5 :14 that “This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.” so if you ask Him for forgiveness of sin according to His will, then He has head you and that is it. Just believe in your heart and stay focus so that you will not go back to sin. We have all been there. May His mercy be upon us.

Norman Silva September 17, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Gordon A,

Check out my posting from July 20th 2012 – hopefully it will answer some of your questions.

God Bless,

Norman Silva.

Gordon A. September 17, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Thanks Norman, I have read the comments and I think I can use it. God bless you. What about the comments by Johannes? He claims one need to confess his/her sins in order to be free, though not backed by any scripture as you wrote. Is it not then understandable that certain things, which though are out of the scriptures could be a panacea for our individual sufferings. Can’t such prescriptions be used on our individual basis.

Please your comments. Thank you.

Norman Silva September 17, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Gordon A,

We are NEVER to put a person’s experience above Scripture.

If a person says they got saved by hugging a tree are we to believe them?

Jesus forgave your sins, past present and future and there is no need to ask for forgiveness EVER again. Why would you want to ask the Lord for something you have? It’s a slap in His face when you do.

As I said, there is not ONE verse in the New Covenant that commands Christians to ask for forgiveness. There is no way anyone can get “loosing fellowship with God when we sin” from 1 John. 1 Cor 1:9 says we have been brought into fellowship with God through Jesus Christ when we got saved. That is our standing – we cannot get “out of fellowship” – to do that we would have to get “unsaved”.

We are the righteousness of Christ. 2 Cor 5:21 “For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him”.

You must always go by the Word of God and not man.

In Him,

Norman Silva.

chinedum chukwu March 15, 2013 at 3:00 pm

hi,silva pls i want to dis pls bcos frm ur post i understood dat God has forgiven me my sins present,past and future.i need not to ask for forgiveness again frm God.pls i want u to explain dis sayings more to me so i can understand them 1 many are called but few are chosen,2 the parable of sower,3 work out ur salvation with fear and trembling,4 everyone will be rewarded according to his or her works.so pls i want to know is it all that christians will make heaven seems God has forgiven all our future sins.tnx.

Enenoghene October 15, 2012 at 12:45 am

Thank You so Much Sir. God Bless You. This is a passage that shows a Confirmation of Our Victory over Sin- Rom6:14
“FOR SIN SHALL NOT HAVE DOMINION OVER YOU, FOR YOU ARE NOT UNDER THE LAW BUT UNDER GRACE.”
Enenoghene, Nigeria.

temi October 15, 2012 at 3:26 am

i thank the Almighty God for the privilege for me to locate this site. may thy lord give u people more strenght to do more in contributing to his work by winning souls for him through this site, his eye will not depart from you all

Caleb October 20, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I think that you expounded on sin in a great way, but am very worried about the corrupt translation that you used. The King James Bible is the only inspired Word of God I don’t understand why people use these other uninspired books that they call versions of the Bible. There is nothing holy about a change from the authorized Word! I will use some of these verses that you have quoted in the website, but I will receive them out of my King James Bible.

Delores Wallace October 28, 2012 at 8:51 am

I just want thank you for these verse I was searching this morning for some scriptures on Sin and I just wanted to thank for you God giving gift in getting the word out for me and others. I am Savior by Grace but I need to be replenish through the word of God.
So thank again Josh and Friends of Christ

kim October 30, 2012 at 2:59 am

I thank God for directing me to this site this morning. I was so down and crying when i entered the office because i took a bold decision to let go off things that i do i know it is bad. God confirmed to me by bringing a man of God in to my life this morning. He gave me a lift to work and while drive, we talk about salvation and things that blocks our salvation. There and then i knew I have receive a confirmation of what God is telling me in my heart. I got to the office, turn on my PC and searched for verses on sin and confessions. Here I am now delighted with what God have use you people to do. I pray that my God will forgive me of all my iniquities and make me whole again in His sight. I pray that He strengthens me and deliver me from all sins from this day forth. And I know that He is able to do exceedingly and abundantly and above all that I have asked of Him this morning. May He bless Josh and friends for sharing His word with us in Jesus Name. Amen

Norman Silva October 30, 2012 at 9:18 am

Kim,

The day you were saved, God forgave you all your sins, past , present and future. A Christian shouldn’t be asking God to continually forgive him. See my earlier posts.

May the Lord bless you.

Norman Silva.

glory October 31, 2012 at 7:33 am

I bless God for bringing me here today. Was preparing a lesson on sin n i just needed to consult d internet for more information and i must confess dat am at d right place. The contributions are nice but most of them are based on wat we individually believe n hw we individually interprete d scripture. Lets not study ignorantly but wit d guide of the holy spirit we(christians) should speak d same thing everywhere in d world ‘cos God’s word detest confusion n division in d Christendom. Lets not forget that baptism is one of d steps to salvation n lets not forget that we shud as Christians kill totally d flesh n abhor sin in order for us not to keep running to God,confessing our sins over n over again. Focussing our hope,aspiration and deeds on things above wil help us a great deal to stay away from sin. May d lord help us not to add or subtract from d scripture and may d lord help us do his wil not ignorantly but as he wants us to. May d lord strengthen us to run d race to d end in Jesus name. Amen

Rodson c. Herrera November 10, 2012 at 12:02 am

I feel renewed and really blessed with the bible verses that i read in this website may you encourage more people to embrace god and his promises to us, being a Filipino teacher I am with you in educating the people about god words and promises to you Mr. Josh thank you for i experience god in you and revitalize with the good news that i read in this website.
More power Mr. Josh and God bless you and your family…

Ayo November 20, 2012 at 6:41 am

Pls pray 4 me i hv ansa ulter cal more than 3 times bt dere is stil a seed of sin in me pls i dont want 2 die in dis sin wat shuld i do

Jack Wellman November 20, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Hello Ayo. Yes, I will pray for you my friend. Let me say that for those who have put their trust in Jesus Christ to save them, there is no need to fear. If you have repented, and confessed your sins to God, then you can have no fear of God’s wrath upon you. We have a short link to show you just to be sure. Read this and you can know for certain, then find yourself a Bible-believing, Christ-elevating church and plug into the Body of Christ. Does this help?

Oniyire Israel January 29, 2013 at 1:47 am

Can someone be free from sin? YES! I believe there is different between “for all have sinned” and “we are all sinners” The bible says “if any man be in Christ is a new creature old things are pass away behold all things are become new” (2 Cor 5:17)
Moment one confess his sins and forsake them he become a new creature (proverb 28 :13)

Norman Silva January 29, 2013 at 8:57 am

Oniyire,

Yes – we are truly new creatures in Christ when we become born again. You will hear well meaning people saying “I’m just a sinner saved by grace”. No you’re not. You were a caterpillar and now you are a butterfly. You cannot go back to what you were.
Praise God!

jimboy January 29, 2013 at 7:35 pm

actually the salvation doctrine is acts 2:38 ! dats have a ebedience which is we can speak in tounges .

Norman Silva February 3, 2013 at 10:53 am

Jimboy,

The Gospel is found in 1 Cor. 15:3-4 – the death, burial and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ.

The lost person needs to repent (turn 180 degrees about their belief of Jesus Christ) and become a new creature.

Speaking in tongues is not necessary for salvation nor is water baptism, tithing, Church membership, worshipping on a Saturday, dietary laws or any other man made rules. It’s 0% man and 100% God. We can do NOTHING to merit His favor or earn our salvation.

In Him,

Norman Silva.

Jack Wellman February 3, 2013 at 8:12 pm

So very, very true Mr. Silva. Well put. Its spot on the mark of truth. We are saved by Christ alone (Acts 4:12) by believing in Him (John 3:16). You are so right sir that no one is good enough to go to heaven by just being a good person because as Isaiah 64:6 says, “All of us have become like one who is unclean,and all our righteous(good) acts (baptism, church attendance, tongues, etc.) are like filthy rags;we all shrivel up like a leaf,and like the wind our sins sweep us away.”

Christopher Opare Biney February 7, 2013 at 9:06 pm

I really want to have study with you,and even enhance my biblical knowledge. God bless you all hope to be notified by everyday update

Gary February 28, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Like the content but I only use the KJV and find versions omit the real meaning and Power of God’s Word.

Allison March 2, 2013 at 6:50 am

Thank you for sharing these verses. They were quite inspiring. It seems to me that you are missing something from the equation. As Proverbs 28:13, 1 John 5:18, and most of the book of Romans teaches, it is not enough to admit we are sinful, we must also forsake our sin and turn from it. In the light of Christ’s glorious sacrifice, we then can walk in the spirit free from sin (Romans 6-8). May the Lord bless you and keep you as we strive to know HIM more and to walk according to His ways.

Johannes March 16, 2013 at 5:48 am

Well I have grown a lot since my last post. And about eating animals I was wrong.

What is sin? It is not doing what right. This verse is I think the most important verse there is about it:

James 4:17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

You can be excused simply by living by your heart:

Romans 2:14-15
For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another

So if you know what is right and fail to do it your conscience will accuse you and then you know you have sinned.

About confessing sins

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

James 5:16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

Proverbs 28:13 He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.

Jack, April 7, 2013 at 2:01 am

Hey,thanks for your inspirations. God bles u. I am a christian,i have a question. Why does it become so hard for someone to stop smoking despite how hard you try?e.g.,u make ths resolution to stop once and for all,and sometimes in future,you find yourself doing it..its just so wrong. another thing,is like i don’t fear God because of my sin,..and when i recover from my sin,it then becomes hard to believe in him totally. I just want change…..

Jack Wellman April 7, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Let me say my friend that quiting smoking is one of the hardest things to do and one of the strongest addictions but don’t lose hope. I tried an electronic cigarette and also a nicotine patch from the doctor. Don’t give up my friend. The very fact that you WANT to quit sinning is a helpful sign that the Holy Spirit is working in you and thru you. You can do all things thru Christ Who will strenthen you. Fearing God is trembling at His Word, the Bible. The more you read the Bible the more you will begin to fear what the consequences of sin are. Choosing to sin is choosing to suffer. You can change but only by God’s power.