22 Awesome C. S. Lewis Quotes

by Josh Wiley · Print Print · Email Email

When you talk about some famous Christian quotes you almost always see at least one from C.S. Lewis. C.S. Lewis had a gift for words and his words live on today through his famous quotes. Here are some of my favorite quotes from C.S. Lewis organized by topic.  Do you have a favorite C.S. Lewis quote? Add it to the comments!

Featured C.S. Lewis Quote
“I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.”

C. S. Lewis On Love

“Though our feelings come and go, God’s love for us does not.”

“Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person’s ultimate good as far as it can be obtained”

“Affection is responsible for nine-tenths of whatever solid and durable happiness there is in our lives”

“Have you not seen that in our days
Of any whose story, song or art
Delights us, our sincerest praise
Means, when all’s said, ‘You break my heart?”

“Do not waste time bothering whether you “love” your neighbor; act as if you did.As soon as we do this we find one of the great secrets. When you are behaving as if you loved someone you will presently come to love him.”

“The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us.”

Friendship Quotes

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: “What! You too? I thought I was the only one.”

“Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art…. It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival.”

What draws people to be friends is that they see the same truth. They share it.”

In friendship…we think we have chosen our peers. In reality a few years’ difference in the dates of our births, a few more miles between certain houses, the choice of one university instead of another…the accident of a topic being raised or not raised at a first meeting–any of these chances might have kept us apart. But, for a Christian, there are, strictly speaking no chances. A secret master of ceremonies has been at work. Christ, who said to the disciples, “Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you,” can truly say to every group of Christian friends, “Ye have not chosen one another but I have chosen you for one another.” The friendship is not a reward for our discriminating and good taste in finding one another out. It is the instrument by which God reveals to each of us the beauties of others.”

Quotes About Faith

“I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept his claim to be God. That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic — on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg — or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God, but let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.”

“[God] will not be used as a convenience. Men or nations who think they can revive the Faith in order to make a good society might just as well think they can use the stairs of heaven as a shortcut to the nearest chemist’s shop.”

“God has not been trying an experiment on my faith or love in order to find out their quality. He knew it already. It was I who didn’t. In this trial He makes us occupy the dock, the witness box, and the bench all at once. He always knew that my temple was a house of cards. His only way of making me realize the fact was to knock it down.”

Christianity Quotes

“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”

“To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you.

C. S. Lewis About Obedience

[To have Faith in Christ] means, of course, trying to do all that He says. There would be no sense in saying you trusted a person if you would not take his advice. Thus if you have really handed yourself over to Him, it must follow that you are trying to obey Him. But trying in a new way, a less worried way. Not doing these things in order to be saved, but because He has begun to save you already. Not hoping to get to Heaven as a reward for your actions, but inevitably wanting to act in a certain way because a first faint gleam of Heaven is already inside you.”

I think He made one law of that kind in order that there might be obedience. In all these other matters what you call obeying Him is but doing what seems good in your own eyes also. Is love content with that?”

Heaven Quotes

“To enter heaven is to become more human than you ever succeeded in being on earth; to enter hell, is to be banished from humanity.”

Quotes About Life

We want not so much a Father but a grandfather in heaven, a God who said of anything we happened to like doing, ‘What does it matter so long as they are contented?”

You don’t have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.”

Do you have a favorite C.S. Lewis quote? If so add it to the comments!

Jack October 24, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Awesome work Josh. I just love the sheer logic that this late Christian apologist writes with. One of my favorites is:

“If the solar system was brought about by an accidental collision, then the appearance of organic life on this planet was also an accident, and the whole evolution of Man was an accident too. If so, then all our present thoughts are mere accidents-the accidental by-product of the movement of atoms. And this holds for the thoughts of the materialists and astronomers as well as for anyone else’s. But if their thoughts-i.e. of materialism and astronomy-are merely accidental by-products, why should we believe them to be true? I see no reason for believing that one accident should be able to give me a correct account of all the other accidents. It’s like expecting that the accidental shape taken by the splash when you upset a milk jug should give you a correct account of how the jug was made and why it was upset.”

jen October 17, 2012 at 10:36 pm

i just love this one

Josh October 25, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Great quote Jack, thanks for sharing!

Hope October 26, 2011 at 3:43 pm

“At present we are on the outside of the world, the wrong side of the door. We discern the freshness and purity of morning, but they do not make us fresh and pure. We cannot mingle with the splendours we see. But all the leaves of the New Testament are rustling with the rumour that it will not always be so. Some day, God willing, we shall get in.”

Joe Corsi February 17, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Excellent quote Hope. I cannot wait until that great day when we will all stand before the throne singing, shouting, dancing and worshiping our Father and the Lamb. This is the hope that we have. Thanks. :0)

Jack Wellman February 17, 2012 at 5:24 pm

I am so with you on that Joe. Thank you sir for your wonderful comment. I will tell the writer, Josh, of this article. I await that Great Day my friend. Please come back and grace us again with your words.

Michele February 19, 2012 at 4:39 am

Aslan through the eyes of Mr. Beaver:
“Of course he’s not safe, but he’s good!”

Jack February 19, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Very good quote Michele. Well done. I had not remembered that one. Thank you for your quote and please come back and visit us again soon when you can.

jen March 10, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Every time I see the word aslan my eyes read Asian and I get confused 🙂

Jack March 10, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Amen Jen. I can understand that. They are very close. Great point. I do know that Aslan is a symbolic type of character that represents Jesus.

Gene April 11, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Aslan is the Turkish word for lion.

Israel Sanchez March 6, 2012 at 3:43 pm

One of my favorites:

“There is no safe investment. To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly be broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one, not even to an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements; lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket — safe, dark, motionless, airless — it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. The alternative to tragedy, or at least to the risk of tragedy, is damnation. The only place outside Heaven where you can be perfectly safe from all the dangers and perturbations of love is Hell.”

Great collection!

maryann August 25, 2013 at 12:48 am

That is my favourite too!!

Reid Martin April 29, 2012 at 10:41 am

I am trying to find this quote by C.S. Lewis. “God will make a God”. Can anyone let me know where that is found. IN other words…..”As man is, God once was, as God is, man may become.”

admin April 29, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Sorry Reid, I do not know this one.

Scott Roderick April 29, 2012 at 8:16 pm

”As man is, God once was, as God is, man may become.”
I believe this is an LDS statement of eternal progression from human to deity by Lorenzo Snow.

Jack April 29, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Thank you Scott but I am compelled to tell you sir that this is unbiblical. Over and over Scripture says that Jesus has always existed. He was not created. He was not born of heavenly parents. He existed before all things. He has existed for eternity.

“Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am.” – (NASB) John 8:58 (Reference Exodus 3:14 in which God says His name is “I AM”. Jesus is using a play on words to apply the same name to himself.)

“He [Jesus] is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.” – (NASB) Colossians 1:17

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” – (NASB) John 1:1 (See John 1:14 – And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us… The “Word” is Jesus.)

“When I saw Him [Jesus], I fell at His feet like a dead man. And He placed His right hand on me saying, ‘Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last, and the living One; and I was dead and behold, I am alive forevermore…” – (NASB) Revelation 1:17-18

“From you One [Jesus] will go forth for Me to be ruler in Israel. His goings forth are from long ago, from the days of eternity.” – (NASB) Micah 5:2

That the Son of God (Jesus) has always existed is a fact that is repeated throughout the Bible. Colossians 1:17 says that Jesus existed before everything else. NOTHING existed before Jesus. C.S. Lewis would agree.

Colin Morris June 5, 2012 at 11:32 am

Jack, great scriptural responses to the LDS statement. Being scriptural, it is therefore authoritative and trustworthy. I will add two more, if I may:

“Then God said, ‘Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness,….’ (NAS, Genesis 1:26).

In the very beginning, God reveals a certain plurality about Himself. In the NT, we see the full revelation that He is a triune God. Yes indeed, Jesus is not a created being. He is, as He says:

“I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.” (NAS) 1:8

Finally, I am hopeful that Scott was only citing the source of the statement, and not promoting it as truth.

Jack Wellman June 5, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Colin, these are so awesome my friend. I love the Mormons and the JW’s too, and atheists and agnostics for there but by the grace of God go I. I appreciate your caring enough to help those who are not yet in the full appreciate of the gospel once delivered to the saints. God bless you Colin and thank you so much. Please come back again soon.

Michael July 11, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Philippians 2:5-7 “Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:” When Christ said he was the Son of God there were many people who said that was blasphemy but Christ with eternal perspective knows the principle of eternal progression. Not that any one here on earth is close to the man Christ is but eternity is a long time and God will help us as we take up our cross and follow Christ.

Shirley Koiner March 12, 2013 at 10:38 am

I’ve read that in Morman literature.

Elizabeth May 9, 2012 at 8:43 pm

“It is a great thing to be a child of God; we should live each day as if it is our last but plan as though our world might last a hundred years.”

Does anyone know where this quote came from? I heard it on a tv show and it said it was a quote from C. S. Lewis but I don’t know what it’s a quote from…

Jack May 9, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Hi Elizabeth…I have tried but failed to find it. I can believe it would be this man’s though. So sorry I wasn’t able too.

Marleen January 30, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Dear Elisabeth, returning to your post of May 9, 2012. I believe the quote you share is from Maarten Luther.

shana July 9, 2013 at 10:48 pm

it is from an interview with CS Lewis. his last interview I believe.

Joan May 29, 2012 at 6:20 am

I stumbled upon this site over the weekend. What a Providential blessing…and just when I needed a spiritual boost, after being in a discussion with a dear friend about the exclusivity of Christianity, my courage had taken a beating. The enemy is like that–knocks us around for standing up to him. Thanks to all of you for being a Barnabas for me today!!

Josh May 29, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Joan,

Your comments are such an encouragement to me and the others involved on this site. I am so glad WCWTK was helpful to you. Your comments are always needed and welcome here! Visit us again soon.

Colin Morris June 5, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Hi Joan, I also find that the “exclusivity” of Christ, the truth that Christ is the only Way to God, is one of the hardest things to overcome with my friends and family. I feel so disheartened and inadequate after these discussions. But I take heart, and I hope you will too, that Christ did not leave us alone, but, as you know, we have the Holy Spirit who will teach us and guide us as to what to say during these times. Now if only I would listen to Him all the time!!!

Steve Chan May 30, 2012 at 11:15 am

“A perfect man would never act from a sense of duty; he’d always want the right thing more than the wrong one. Duty is only a substitute for love (of God and of other people) like a crutch which is a substitute for a leg. Most of us need the crutch at times; but of course it is idiotic to use the crutch when our own legs (our own loves, tastes, habits, etc.) can do the journey on their own.” C.S. Lewis

I refer to this C.S. Lewis quote often to remind me of the superiority of actions motivated by love compared to actions motivated by duty, obligation or any other compulsion à la 1 Corinthians 13:13.

Josh May 30, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Thanks Steve for adding another great quote by C.S. Lewis.

Larry Wood June 23, 2012 at 9:06 am

I just started looking to verify a quote and came across this article. I recently heard a quote credited to C.S. Lewis. I won’t be exact, but the gist of the quote is this (I use quotation marks loosely), “it is not God’s job to make us successful. But it is our job to do what’s right.”. Can you further enlighten me on the accuracy of this quote and proper credit?

Prayson Daniel July 10, 2012 at 8:15 am

Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance, the only thing it cannot be is moderately important. – C.S. Lewis

vickilynn July 19, 2013 at 7:50 am

thankyou this is the quote I was searching for

Chrystal Ford July 26, 2012 at 12:11 am

I just have to say that if I hadn’t stumbled across this article when I did, I would be a disheartened mess. It is a difficult journey to spread the message of our Father, and every day I find it harder to speak upon listening ears, but I do my best to stay strong and carry out the will of my God, who has given me my life back. Reading through these comments and the article itself has really rekindled my faith that there are people out there who are still strong enough to follow the path He wishes us to. I just want to say, thank you all for this delightful blessing disguised as words from those true to their hearts. And I will leave you with this.

Matthew 17:20 He said to them, ‘Because of your little faith. For truly, I say to you, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you.’

And so I find it true…even the with the smallest amount of faith in our Lord and Savior, you will find yourself able to move mountains. Thank you all, again, and may God smile down upon you forever!

Colin Morris July 31, 2012 at 8:22 am

Hi Chrystal, thanks for sharing, and you are right, our Christian journey is very often quite difficult, especially when our hearts are turned, as they most certainly should be, to the many, many lost and hurting people around us.

But we take heart, because our Lord did not leave us as orphans, and He will come to us!! In that same passage in John 14, I find one of my favorite promises / commands from our Lord: “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”

We continue to press on and run the good race, even with just that little faith you reminded us about!! Thanks again and God Bless you!!!

Carol Anderson July 26, 2012 at 10:41 am

I’m looking for the CSLewis quote that goes something like: “When you strive for heaven, you get earth thrown in as well; when you strive for earth, you get neither.”

Edie August 2, 2012 at 12:11 pm

It’s in Mere Christianity–the chapter on Hope, first paragraph. It’s hard to end his quotes.

“Aim at Heaven and you will get earth ‘thrown in’: aim at earth and you will get neither. It seems a strange rule, but something like it can be seen at work in other matters. Health is a great blessing, but the moment you make health one of your main, direct objects you start becoming a crank and imagining there is something wrong with you. You are only likely to get health provided you want other things more – food, games, work, fun, open air.”

George Hoherd August 24, 2012 at 9:30 pm

“Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither.” C. S. Lewis

Sheryl Pavelec July 31, 2012 at 5:46 am

“When all is said about the divisions of Christendom, there remains by God’s mercy an enormous common ground.”

Winnie Greathouse August 4, 2012 at 3:20 am

Somewhere is a quote from CS Lewis that goes something like this, and if you can help me know it correctly and where if possible I would appreciate it.

Its not faith that God exists but its the kind of God He is

Seth Hughes August 19, 2012 at 10:38 am

Here are a few quotes and descriptions I find interesting

Brandon August 28, 2012 at 3:32 pm

“…the Christian life is simply a process of having your natural self changed into a Christ self, and that this process goes on very far in time. One’s most private wishes, one’s point of view, are the things that have to be changed…As long as the old self is there its taint will be over all we do. We try to be religious and become pharisees. We try to be kind and become patronizing. Social service ends in red tape of officialdom. Unselfishness becomes a form of showing off. I don’t mean of course that we’re to stop trying to be good. We’ve got to do the best we can…The real cure lies far deeper. Out of our self and into Christ we must go.”

Mary Duff September 30, 2012 at 10:22 am

Thank you for this material!
Do you know where C.S.Lewis said, after the death of his wife,
“The last gift I can give her is to be the one who must go on alone ” or something similar …It was not in “A Grief Observed”.

Alice October 6, 2012 at 10:20 pm

“We are not necessarily doubting that God will do the best for us; we are wondering how painful the best will turn out to be.”

Bingo! I saw myself in this one! What a great comment on human nature.

jen October 17, 2012 at 10:59 pm

just post this on my facebook

Misty October 22, 2012 at 1:20 am

“The load, or weight, or burden of my neighbors glory should be laid on my back, a load so heavy that only humility can carry it, and the backs of the proud will be broken. It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods and goddesses, to remember that the dullest and most uninteresting person you can talk to may one day be a creature which, if you saw it now, you would be strongly tempted to worship. It is in light of these overwhelming possibilities, it is with the awe and circumspection proper to them, that we should conduct all of our dealings with one another, all friendships, all loves, all play, all politics. There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal. Nations, cultures, arts, civilizations–these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub, and exploit. Next to the Blessed Sacrament itself, your neighbor is the holiest object presented to your senses.” –C.S. Lewis, Weight of Glory

Melanie October 24, 2012 at 8:41 pm

“Miracles are a retelling in small letters of the very same story which is written across the whole world in letters too large for some of us to see.”

Ian October 29, 2012 at 6:02 am

“You don’t have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.” Unfortunately this isn’t a Lewis quote. It doesn’t seem to appear in any of his books even though it has been attributed to him by many people.

Kate November 9, 2012 at 7:19 am

From Perelandra: “You could send your soul after the good you had expected, instead of turning it into the good you had got. You could refuse the real good; you could make the real fruit taste insipid by thinking of the other.”
“…that it is I, I myself who turn from the good expected to the given good. Out of my own heart I do it. One can conceive a heart which did not: which clung to the good it had first thought of and turned the good which was given into no good.”

L.T.Schulte November 13, 2012 at 12:34 pm

My favorite of all C.S. Lewis quotes….”I wonder whether people who ask God to interfere openly and directly in our world quite realize what it will be like when he does. When that happens, it is the end of the world. Whent he author walks onto the stge the play is over. God is going to invade, all right: but what is the good of saying you are on His side, then, when you see the whole natural universe melting away like a dream and something else – something it never entered your head to conceive – comes crashing in; something so beautiful to some of us and so terrible to others that none of us will have any choice left? For this time it will be God without disguise; something so overwhelming that it will strike eitehr irresitible love or irresistible horror into every creature. It will be too late then to choose your side. There is no use saying you choose to lie down when it has become impossible to stand up. That will not be the time for choosing: It will be the time when we discover which side we really have chosen, whether we realized it before or not. Now, today, this moment, is our chance to choose the right side. God is holding back to give us that chance. it will not last forever. We must take it or leave it.” )

Evan November 16, 2012 at 7:48 pm

“If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.”

Raghunath November 29, 2012 at 9:50 am

“If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair.”

matdf egru tayiel December 2, 2012 at 9:12 pm

these are cool

Andy Fry December 10, 2012 at 6:32 am

A great collection of a great man’s quotes, thank you for compiling this.

I personally really like his quote about morality –

“You cannot make men good by law: and without good men you cannot have a good society.”
CS Lewis

It has come up in research I’m doing for a book I’m writing but I do find great wisdom and comfort in his words.

Steve December 15, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Here’s a light-hearted C.S. Lewis quote. 🙂

“He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it, hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart.”

Dan January 3, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Nice… so true, so true. and funny too. Thanks Steve.

David January 18, 2013 at 8:56 pm

I thought I knew most of C. S. Lewis’ good ones, but I missed that one. That’s a great one! And its profound on a bunch of levels. Its a shame Professor Lewis is not around today – we could use some real thinkers in the world of his quality and brilliance today to guide us past ourselves and our incredible corporate arrogance and ignorance, both in the Church .

David January 18, 2013 at 8:57 pm

and our society.

(Sorry, pressed the wrong key before I finished my post).

Matthew Demaree December 16, 2012 at 9:15 pm

I didnt get this from one of his books but rather found it in my leadership bible, and when i did i wanted to know more about the person it came from. As i started to search for more wise words I came across this page. Can someone tell me where this came from.

…”We are half hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by an offer of a holiday by the sea. We are far to easily pleased.”

Colin Morris December 21, 2012 at 11:01 am

Hey Matthew, you are right, this is a great quote!!

The quote is found in C.S. Lewis’ 1949 work entitled “The Weight of Glory”. You can get it on Amazon, I believe.

Source/Credit : Brent Thomas, blogsite: Holiday At The Sea.
Brent is Lead Pastor at Church of the Cross, Glendale/Peoria AZ

Thanks a bunch, Brent!!

Colin Morris December 21, 2012 at 11:49 am

“You know, you have many critics, but I have never met one of your critics who knows you personally.”

C.S. Lewis’ parting words to Billy Graham after meeting with him at The College of St. Mary Magdalene, University of Cambridge in 1955.

trudy January 15, 2013 at 5:23 pm

“Experience is a brutal teacher, but you learn. My God, do you learn.”

Dylan Habegger January 18, 2013 at 2:26 pm

First off, this rocks!! Thanks you!

Is there a quote regarding: in hell you get everything you want?

I remember hearing it somewhere, but I cannot find it. It may be a C.S. Lewis quote….it may not! It may be a Bonhoeffer quote…

Thanks guys,
Dylan

Wade Burton January 21, 2013 at 3:46 pm

A favorite by C.S. Lewis.

“There are two kinds of people:
–People who say, ‘Lord, Your will be done in my life.’
–Others to whom God says, ‘Okay, have it your own way.’ “

DavidJohnEden February 13, 2013 at 9:50 am

Stumbled upon your excellent blog. Thanks for your heart. Don’t know if anyone’s posted this, my fave CS quote.
Maybe titled: “My Glorious Neighbor” or “No Ordinary People”
(from The Great Divorce)

“The load or weight or burden of my neighbor’s glory should be laid daily on my back, a load so heavy that only humility can carry it, & the backs of the proud will be broken. It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods&goddesses, to remember that the dullest & most uninteresting person you talk to may one day be a creature which, if you saw it now, you would be strongly temped to worship, or else a horror & a corruption such as you now meet, if at all, only in a nightmare. All day long we are, in some degree, helping each other to one or other of these destinations.
It is in the light of these overwhelming possibilities that we should conduct all our dealings with one another, all friendships, all loves, all play, all politics. There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal. Nations, cultures, arts, civilizations – these are mortal, & their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub and exploit — immortal horrors or everlasting splendors.
This does not mean that we are to be perpetually solemn. We must play. But our merriment must be of that kind (& it is, in fact, the merriest kind) which exists between people who have, from the outset, taken each other seriously… No flippancy, no superiority, no presumption. And our charity must be a real & costly love, with deep feeling for the sins in spite of which we love the sinner.”

Gina February 14, 2013 at 11:47 am

My two favourites:

“A man can no more diminish God’s glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, ‘darkness’ on the walls of his cell.”

*and*

“Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important.”

Rachel February 16, 2013 at 8:40 pm

What is success? Is it power, money, prestige? Successful people in the world would tell us that success is just that. But success for the Christian isn’t any of those things. It is the progress we make in the process of sanctification. In other words, success for us is measured by how we imitate Him more and more with each passing day.

Myshel February 19, 2013 at 11:28 am

“We are so little reconciled to time that we are even astonished at it. “How he’s grown!” we exclaim, “How time flies!” as though the universal form of our experience were again and again a novelty. It is as strange as if a fish were repeatedly surprised at the wetness of water. And that would be strange indeed; unless of course the fish were destined to become, one day, a land animal.”

Richard Hoskins February 26, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I am looking for a cs Lewis quote regarding predestination about walking down a path to house(heaven) and signs along that path vs the sign just inside the door of the house?

Michael March 2, 2013 at 7:02 am

“Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it’s thinking of yourself less”. Is this a CS Lewis quote. It’s a good one anyway. Just discovered this site, love it.

Keith Buhler March 25, 2013 at 6:19 pm

“You don’t have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.”

Whoops! C. S. Lewis didn’t say that — see http://www.mereorthodoxy.com/you-dont-have-a-soul-cs-lewis-never-said-it/ for the definitive take down of that urban legend.

Cheri Hazen May 1, 2013 at 9:24 pm

God allows spiritual peaks to subside into (often extensive) troughs in order for ‘servants to finally become Sons,’ ‘stand[ing] up on [their] own legs–to carry out from the will alone duties which have lost all relish… growing into the sort of creature He wants [them] to be.”

Lynn May 15, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Great Find Here!!

Also, I am searching for C.S. Lewis quote on all world religions. Its about various solutions to a math problem…many “almost” accurate answers (love that kind stance) but.. in the end…only one correct in every aspect of the solution…(Gospel)

I so appreciate any help. C.S. Lewis….what a guidepost and treasure to all along this Christian pathway!!

Violette May 20, 2013 at 1:38 am

Your means of explaining the whole thing in this piece of writing is in fact fastidious, every one can
effortlessly be aware of it, Thanks a lot.

stew 11 June 1, 2013 at 11:40 am

Josh, what is your take on what is and has been happening to Tim Tebow?

Melody June 27, 2013 at 3:15 pm

I love the way C. S. Lewis describes love, it blows my mind and all I can say is wow! How great is it to be this Loved!

“God, who needs nothing, loves into existence wholly superfluous creatures in order that He may love and perfect them. He creates the universe, already foreseeing – or should we say “seeing”? there are no tenses in God – the buzzing cloud of flies about the cross, the flayed back pressed against the uneven stake, the nails driven through the mesial nerves, the repeated incipient suffocation as the body droops, the repeated torture of back and arms as it is time after time, for breath’s sake, hitched up. If I may dare the biological image, God is a “host” who deliberately creates His own parasites; causes us to be that we may exploit and “take advantage of” Him. Herein is love. This is the diagram of Love Himself, the inventor of all loves.”
― C.S. Lewis, The Four Loves

Colin Morris September 2, 2013 at 12:08 pm

“Your Hindus certainly sound delightful. But what do they ‘deny? That has always been my trouble with Indians – to find any proposition they would pronounce false. But truth must surely involve exclusions.”

C. S. Lewis, in a letter to Dom Bede Griffiths

Elan Hacker October 6, 2013 at 4:11 am

Love the site. Look forward to more quotes!