Bible Verses About Marriage: 20 Great Scripture Quotes

The earliest use of the English word “marriage” dates back to the 13th century [1]. Marriage by God’s design is the union of one man and one woman (Genesis 2:18).  Some say that it is the ceremony (wedding) that makes the man and woman married;  God’s word tells us that it is the joining of flesh that makes the marriage (Genesis 2:24).  Here are twenty great Scripture quotes about marriage.

Hosea 2:19 And I will betroth you to me forever. I will betroth you to me in righteousness and in justice, in steadfast love and in mercy.

God’s Plan for Marriage

Genesis 1:27-28 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.  And God blessed them. And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”

Bible Verses About Marriage

Let marriage be held in honor among all

Genesis 2:21-25 So the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and while he slept took one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh. And the rib that the LORD God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man. Then the man said, “This at last is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.” Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. And the man and his wife were both naked and were not ashamed.

Malachi 2:14,15  But you say, “Why does he not?” Because the LORD was witness between you and the wife of your youth, to whom you have been faithless, though she is your companion and your wife by covenant.

1 Corinthians 7:2 But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband.

Hebrews 13:4 Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous.

Children Given for Marriage

Genesis 29:22,23 So Laban gathered together all the people of the place and made a feast. But in the evening he took his daughter Leah and brought her to Jacob, and he went in to her.

Judges 1:12 And Caleb said, “He who attacks Kiriath-sepher and captures it, I will give him Achsah my daughter for a wife.” And Othniel the son of Kenaz, Caleb’s younger brother, captured it. And he gave him Achsah his daughter for a wife.

1 Samuel 17:25 And the men of Israel said, “Have you seen this man who has come up? Surely he has come up to defy Israel. And the king will enrich the man who kills him with great riches and will give him his daughter and make his father’s house free in Israel.”

1 Samuel 18:20,21 Now Saul’s daughter Michal loved David. And they told Saul, and the thing pleased him. Saul thought, “Let me give her to him, that she may be a snare for him and that the hand of the Philistines may be against him.” Therefore Saul said to David a second time, “You shall now be my son-in-law.”

Popular Bible Marriages/Weddings

Genesis 24:67 Then Isaac brought her into the tent of Sarah his mother and took Rebekah, and she became his wife, and he loved her. So Isaac was comforted after his mother’s death.

1 Samuel 25:40-42 When the servants of David came to Abigail at Carmel, they said to her, “David has sent us to you to take you to him as his wife.” And she rose and bowed with her face to the ground and said, “Behold, your handmaid is a servant to wash the feet of the servants of my lord.” And Abigail hurried and rose and mounted a donkey, and her five young women attended her. She followed the messengers of David and became his wife.

Ruth 4:13 So Boaz took Ruth, and she became his wife. And he went in to her, and the LORD gave her conception, and she bore a son.

Esther 2:16-18 And when Esther was taken to King Ahasuerus, into his royal palace, in the tenth month, which is the month of Tebeth, in the seventh year of his reign, the king loved Esther more than all the women, and she won grace and favor in his sight more than all the virgins, so that he set the royal crown on her head and made her queen instead of Vashti. Then the king gave a great feast for all his officials and servants; it was Esther’s feast. He also granted a remission of taxes to the provinces and gave gifts with royal generosity.

Luke 2:4,5 (KJV) And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:) To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child.

John 2:1,2 On the third day there was a wedding at Cana in Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there. Jesus also was invited to the wedding with his disciples.

What the Earthly Marriage Symbolizes

Isaiah 54:5 For your Maker is your husband,  the LORD of hosts is his name; and the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer,  the God of the whole earth he is called.

Ephesians 5:23,24,32 For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands. This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church.

Revelation 19:7-9 Let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and his Bride has made herself ready; it was granted her to clothe herself  with fine linen, bright and pure”— for the fine linen is the righteous deeds of the saints. And the angel said to me, “Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.” And he said to me, “These are the true words of God.”

Revelation 21:9-14 Then came one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls full of the seven last plagues and spoke to me, saying, “Come, I will show you the Bride, the wife of the Lamb.”And he carried me away in the Spirit to a great, high mountain, and showed me the holy city Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God, having the glory of God, its radiance like a most rare jewel, like a jasper, clear as crystal. It had a great, high wall, with twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and on the gates the names of the twelve tribes of the sons of Israel were inscribed—on the east three gates, on the north three gates, on the south three gates, and on the west three gates. And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them were the twelve names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

Christian Quotes About Marriage

“Marriage is an exclusive union between one man and one woman, publicly acknowledged, permanently sealed, and physically consummated.” ~ Selwyn Hughes

“The monstrosity of sexual intercourse outside marriage is that those who indulge in it are trying to isolate one kind of union (the sexual) from all the other kinds of union which were intended to go along with it and make up the total union.”  ~ C.S. Lewis

A man doesn’t own his marriage; he is only the steward of his wife’s love.”  ~ Edwin Louis Cole (Ed Cole)

“God created marriage. No government subcommittee envisioned it. No social organization developed it. Marriage was conceived and born in the mind of God.”  ~ Max Lucado

“Fifty-fifty marriages are an impossibility. They do not work. They cannot work. In marriage someone has to be the final decision maker. Someone has to delegate responsibility, and God has ordained that this should be the husband. ~ Wayne Mack

Resources

The Holy Bible, English Standard Version

The Holy Bible, King James Version

Source: [1] http://www.myetymology.com/english/marriage.html

www.youtube.com Song ” I Will Be Here For You”- Michael W. Smith

Image: Rosen Georgiev / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

chela jean October 9, 2011 at 9:28 am

If one dream have died dream another. Don’t let one death, one divorce, one dissapointment keep you down move foward like David he knew that when his baby died after fasting. The hand of God always on our lives doing one great thing after another let go of the bitterness, let go of the unforgiveness, let go of things you don’t understand let go & let God/Heavenly Father lead you.

Seuntjie February 10, 2012 at 12:43 am

I wanna know more scriptures

jose March 9, 2012 at 12:37 pm

hi how are you…i am single for 5 years i just meet this nice lady, which is older than me i just dont know wath will the future will tell me, i would like to leave everything in the powerful hands of our lord , JESUS SHE IS DIVORCE .

I JUST NEED SOME REALLY GREAT ADVICED …..THANK YOU JESUS…AMEN

Pam March 9, 2012 at 12:48 pm
Marshall March 28, 2012 at 5:08 am

Y dont it say wat they usulley say @ a wedding

Erykah April 20, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Hello Pam! I have a question… My husband and I are 27 & 28 years old, we have been married since we were 22 and together since I was 17. Because of the pressure of already being young and married and being together for so long, we are running into some from time to time. I wanted to know if you could give me some marriage scriptures that could help us when we go thru our spats? We love each other very much, and God. So he is open and humble to reading with me. Also if you could give me some advice on how to encourage my husband without insulting him? Thank you for your time!

Pamela Rose Williams June 13, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Hello Erykah, I am so pleased to hear that you are happily married. Let me address your questions:

Regarding your spats, follow these 4 rules of communication:
(1) Be Honest (Eph 4:15, 25; Prov 21:19; 26:21)
(2) Keep Current – resolve issues of today today; do not bring them back up tomorrow (Eph. 4:26-27)
(3) Attack the problem, not the person – build up, don’t tear down; avoid absolutes like ALWAYS, NEVER, EVER (Eph 4:29-30)
(4) Act, Don’t React – Be swift to hear; slow to speak (James 1:19; Eph 4:31-32; Prov 18:13, 15, 18, 19)

You remember these rules and get your hubby to agree to use them too and you will have healthy disagreements, I promise. (hint: print them out and put them on the fridge for quick reference — better yet, memorize them!)

Regarding how to encourage your husband without insult? Simply respect him, I wrote the following article about that, I think you might find some useful stuff there:

It is great to see that you are realizing that you can improve upon how you deal with these life issues. I hope this is helpful to you my friend.

Erykah October 12, 2012 at 10:38 am

Thank u very much Pamela! The advice worked out great. Ive been
practicing the steps and reading the scriptures. Its been working great! & By the way God has blessed us with a baby boy on the way!:-) Thanks again for your help!

David February 1, 2013 at 9:59 pm

I suggest 2 books for any marrige and use them along side scriptures when I counsel couples
Love and Resoect by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs
Marriage on the Rock by Jimmy and Karen Evans
Both of these authors also do couples weekends and conferences.

darlene April 30, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I have been with my husband for 12 years and married 6 he left me with 4 children and we r all hurting we have our UPS and downs I never cheated on him I dont know if he has but he sees my kids every weekend can’t call me don’t look at me when I text him does not respond its been 5months now and he still can’t talk to me what should I do he puts my kids in the middle ask your mom tell your mom he does not talk to me

Bill June 2, 2012 at 7:46 am

He probably has cheated and feels guilty. Thats prob why he can’t face you. I recommend for you to let go some and don’t give him any attention back and see if he react after a few weeks. If he doesn’t then you need to move on, because its not your fault, so you live your life….

Tiffanie May 10, 2012 at 2:59 pm

And before the word marriage appeared in the bible, marriage was FORBIDDEN by the church because your life was promised to God. Only when churches realized they couldn’t get converts when they were banning marriage did they decide to allow it. MARRIAGE IS NOT AND WAS NOT CREATED BY GOD AND/OR THE BIBLE.

Pamela Rose Williams June 13, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Hi Tiffanie, I am sorry that you disagree with what the Bible says. I wonder if you could share the source of your information, I would be interested to know that. Thank you for stopping by and leaving your comment here.

tommy boy July 28, 2012 at 2:27 am

Tiffanie you need JESUS!!!! GOD BLESS YOU TOO!!! Start with genisis 1:1

Erykah October 12, 2012 at 10:21 am

I dont understand…. If you dont agree with what the bible says why leave a comment on this website? Correct me if im wrong, but you wrote that the church banned marriage, Im sure that might have been a rule from a human being (not God or Jesus Christ). & if you read Genisis you will see that is the first book in the bible, & you will also see that Adam & Eve were married. Who created Adam & Eve? Who created the earth, moon, stars and everything man can clearly see and know of? GOD! So i dont see how you believe that God could not have created marriage. Im not trying to insult you in anyway, everyone believes in different things. But i really do think that you should have some proof to back your statement up before putting something so rude on a website that was made to help people That truly love and believe in God with thier marriage &/or make it stronger with some good, healthly spirital advice.

paty rico May 31, 2012 at 12:23 am

my husband an i been married for 5 yrs an i love him so much but he does not have feelins for me an that realy make me up set i don’t know if it’s because i can’t give him a baby or my weight,age we get mad alot with each other. What can i do?

Pamela Rose Williams June 13, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Hi Paty Rico, what you can do is to continue to love your husband even when he is unlovely. You may also ask him if he would like to have a better marriage and if so seek the help from your pastor or a Biblical Counselor. I am sad that you are not treated with love and will pray that you are able to take steps to make things better. Thanks for your comment here.

captola June 5, 2012 at 11:00 pm

does the bible king james say that you have to have marriage papers before you are married or is it between man women
and god?

Pamela Rose Williams June 13, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Hello captola — No, the Bible does not talk about marriage papers. Papers are man-made. Marriage is God ordained

ruthie June 14, 2012 at 8:01 pm

So it would be ok to just be married through a church or just a ring? & it would be ok with God?

Pamela Rose Williams September 6, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Hi Ruthie. You need to follow the law of the land. Even though the papers thing is not in the Bible the law of the land is here to protectus. Follow the law; it is the right thing to do.

ruthie June 8, 2012 at 3:53 am

Hello I have a bf for 6yrs we are still very young age 18 evn tho we have seperated a few times in the past and dated other people (not while were together) I feel as if its time for marriage but, we are very young and not financially stabled ive hurt him in the past but ive never cheated same goes for me but I am ready to settle with him as soon as we are financially stabbled I dnt wna upset God and keep sining will u help me thank u.find scriptures that will guide me thank u.

Pamela Rose Williams June 13, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Hi Ruthie, thank you for sharing your heart. You are young, yes. There is allot of information missing here, for instance, are you each still living with your parents? Also, I am not sure why you said you are sinning against God — if it is because you are in an intimate relationship with this man and you believe it is sinful than you must stop that relationship until such time as you are married. If you are still with parents, make a plan to move forward but do not let the lack of money convince you that you can not be married. The advice I give you is for a Christian and so I suggest you make sure the following things are true before you marry: (1) Your husband is also a Christian; (2) Your husband has the means to financially provide for you — including a suitable home.

If your boyfriend is a Christian and he loves you than he will marry you to honor you and to honor God.

ruthie June 14, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Thank u I will do so yes he loves God encourages me to go to church its very hard for me though and what not but, ive been feeling guilty about my actions I know that God forgives and also punishes I am being punished by the actions I took in the past with my ex boyfriends having a intimate relationship and putting my health at risk I was diagnosed with hpv through this my bf had been there what’s ur advice on making me a stronger woman

Pamela Rose Williams September 6, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Hi again Ruthie. The best thing you can do to be a strong woman is to be daily in the Bible. Draw near to God and He will bless you. Ask God’s forgiveness and He will forgive you. And I will pray that you are obedient and blessed with strength.

Linda June 11, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Hi Pam, I am helping a friend his question is : Can he have multiple wives ,and if not where in the bible are the scriptures found concerning his concerns? I have located and told him about -I Timothy 3:2. I know it speaks concerning a deacon. but does this apply to all men

Pamela Rose Williams June 13, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Hi Linda,

I would go all the way back to Genesis for that, here is your scripture (Gen 2:18-25):

18 And the Lord God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.

19 And out of the ground the Lord God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

20 And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.

21 And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;

22 And the rib, which the Lord God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.

23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.
—–
Notice in verse 18: “an help meet for him” and in verse 24 it says “a man leave his father and his mother and shall cleave unto his wife”. Both verses are singular: one man, one woman and also notice in verse 24 that there are only two people there that become one flesh. So here is how it works (Biblically):

– They were both made by God precisely, to be male and female (no mistakes, the gender that you have is the gender that God planned)
– The man is to leave his father and mother and be with his wife; creating a new family unit
– God created the male and female to come together and reproduce — after the man leaves his mother, so this is only God ordained after marriage.
– This intimate relationship between husband and wife is blessed by God (any other kind is not blessed, homo and hetero)

Most importantly, when we fast forward to the New Testament we see the marriage between one husband and one wife is representative of the marriage between Christ and the Church — Christ is the husband and the Church is His Bride (Eph 5:22-23 singular again). Jesus has only one Bride.

Some other things to consider: when the law was given as documented in Exodus, the 10th commandment speaks of the neighbor’s wife, thou shalt not covet (Exodus 20:17), again this is conveys the principle of only one wife.

Paul also addressed the Church at Corith and spoke that each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband (1 Corinthians 7:2).

There were instances of polygamy in the Bible but these were not blessed by God even in His godly men. God tolerated it for a time, but there was always consequence in every situation.

So I guess to really answer your question, the monogamous relationship between one man and one woman is the only way to honor God as the earthly representation of the Heavenly marriage between Christ and the Church. It is laced throughout the Bible.

I hope this helped.

hurt mom June 13, 2012 at 4:30 pm

I’m trying to find a verse for my situation. I got back with my ex-husband after 14 years divorced. I have 2 children by him. I have a daughter by another man. My ex-husband was back together 3 for 3 1/2 years. We broke up March 2012. In May 2012, my daughter that is NOT his, graduated high school. A week later, we found out she was IN love with the man I was with, the man who is the father of her brother & sister. She is now living with him & refuses to see how this is morally wrong to want to be with a man (28 yrs older than her) who is the father of her siblings & even though we were broke up, we were still sexually active with each other. She knew I was still in love with him & hurting over the break-up. I’m looking for a verse that proves it’s wrong for her to fall for her sibling’s father. Anything to get her to open her eyes & see her wrong doing & come home where she belongs so we can work on this. We won’t get past this if we don’t work on it but she refuses to. This is killing me so bad. This is the worse pain to have to experience next to death in my opinion. Never expected to be betrayed and hurt by my daughter in THIS way. Help!!

Pamela Rose Williams June 13, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Hello hurt mom,

I am very sad to hear of your circumstance. Let’s not use the Bible as ammunition for the disagreement that you have with your daughter right now. Instead, please read through what I replied to Linda (just above your comment).

This is not about mother, daughter, step-father or even age. It is about what your daughter is doing to mock God. Mocking God brings consequence (Galatians 6:7 – Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.) Marriage is a holy and special relationship between one man and one woman. Intimate relationship (one flesh) between that one man and one woman is reserved for the marriage bed; otherwise the marriage bed is defiled (Heb 13:4). I pray that you and she can have a conversation about what God has to say regarding the proper time and place for the relationship she is having with her step father.

jessica June 15, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Hi. I am 22 years old and have been married for 2 1/2 years. I love my husband dearly. We have 3 beautiful children. But only one is ours together. I recently found out my husband cheated on me with a girl who was supposed to of been my best friend. And now she is pregnant. I have forgave him but it hurts so much. I know that the child is not at fault. I rly need help. I want to spend my life with this man but i dont think that i can live with the fact the two of them have a child together. It hurts too much.

Ekemini Isaac June 20, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I’m 30, and the girl I found to be my wife asked me to come in 2 yrs time from last year october.But just yesterday she declared her readiness for marriage with a claim that so many men are on her neck for the same purpose, so she has 2 pray 4 God to show her the right choice.I want you to assist me in prayers & also send me some scriptures to pray with for my dreams to come through.

Ekemini Isaac June 20, 2012 at 6:11 pm

I also need prayers for a financial breakthrough to enable me carter for her need & perform all the marriage rights when she finally say yes.She is so dear to me and I wouldn’t want to loose her for any reason.

kegade .G. felix June 22, 2012 at 6:11 pm

hello good day.am a Nigerian’s I’ have this question take keep boiling on my heart day by day and is all-about my senior sister. for me am 25 of age and she 27 now and think she may have been in her mate house but no one is coming.
but I still believe God because, God time is best
and when God give is always unique and asking God to step in her situation due to the fact that Satan kick against the very will of our if didn’t see it on time.
my reason to visit this sit is for help of prayer. that God which created them male and female should visit her with uncommon miracles of divine mate.

deborah hoefker June 29, 2012 at 11:03 pm

My comment on marraige is, God created a man, and one woman, to start creation and reproducing based on the foundation of love, “For God so loved the world that He gave HIS only Betgotten Son so that none would perish but had the opportunity to choose eternal life in HIM.” He wants us to be blessed in ALL we do, but when you follow His commendments His rules based on the word of God concerning marraige, YOU WILL BE BLESSED! Dont forget with every rose comes a thorn along the way. When you have issues communication should be your first step to repairing that break and praying together. Dont look at one side, look at all sides of the situation, and allow God to lead and guide you in all things. He loves you all, and when things dont go as they should, a marraige falls apart, bad words spoken, and one leaves and stays gone? Well. pray for them, andtrust that God has a reason for things in our lives, altho many times it is the work of satan. God is a wonderful restorer of all broken hearts. Know He loves you today folks, and if you are married, do your best to be faithful, and to share your thots and love with your husband or wife, He wants the very best, over and above all for you, your life, your children. It may not always be a easy walk, but it well worth the journey!

ice July 3, 2012 at 2:47 am

Hello Pam,

We are married for 8 and a half years, last year he admitted to have a one night stand and until now i could not seem to forget such act or believe if that was the only betrayal he did to me. I know he loves me but why would he do such a thing? This affected our marriage and I even got depressed. We are together but it seems like the marriage change or maybe I did because of the pain. How would i be able to move on with this? Should I trust him again? I am afraid of the pain the the things I can do because of it.

Adaeze macarten July 4, 2012 at 10:38 am

I am a woman of 28yrs.i have been married for a year now bt i must confess my marriage is far from happy and peaceful.i practically fight,exchange words wth my hubby everyday.i got married to a very difficult,ill tempered man.a man who believes hs right is to decide anythng tht happens in the house,come back late at nyt reeking of alchohol and i shuldnt say a word,a man tht gets agitated each time i want to knw hs whereabouts or what he is upto. A man tht doesnt have time for me,he doesnt touch me except when he is feeling horny.a man tht is so secretive to me,he doent listen to whatever i say! And wheneva i complain,he starts shouting at me and will threaten to dissolve the marriage. Frankly,if i start listing what i have been passing through in a marriage that is barely one year old, you will cry for me! I need your advice badly,am going crazy: my hubby doent seem to care if the marriage works out or not.he has told me countless times that he can do well wthout me,tht he is better off wthout me: what do i do to fix my marriage?i dnt want it to crash! Pls help me wth some advice pls. Thank you

Mish July 27, 2012 at 3:52 am

I am 55yrs of age and married to 41yrs lady.I love God so much.We are blessed with three girls. For 10yrs we had no husles.Split happen in our church ,we decidedto have a new place to serve God.

The congragation grew and she got better Job . She started now undermining me and argument start for minor things ,very infuencing to kids and decided to stop going to church,creating accusation in the church. Its now 8 yrs together and no interest to her, for sex, due to protection orders ,shouting and disorderly respond . I ask her for the 10yrs we spent what is the course now ,the answer was she was pretending to love me and that I was not her type.

Ashlee November 4, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Adaeze, what your husband is doing to you is emotional and verbal abuse. You do NOT deserve to be treated like that, and in order for it to stop, you will BOTH need to get help. Please, if you haven’t already, get in touch with your local domestic violence shelter. They can give you advice, help you meet others who are going through the same thing, and even get your husband help if he wants it. The national Domestic Violence hotline is 1−800−799−SAFE(7233). Please call soon, these situations only get worse. I will be praying for you!

Paul July 4, 2012 at 8:52 pm

I am looking for some direction. I love my wife with all of my heart and soul. I try to act ALWAYS as the bible dictates, with love for my wife. I keep the Word at the center of my heart. We were married in January, and almost IMMEDIATELY, she had terrible internal problems that prevented us from enjoying the physical gifts of marriage. I have been very understanding. This made her feel like less of a woman, and in her frustration, she shut off from me emotionally. She is awful at handling setbacks, and when she gets irritated, she treats me (the one closest and all that jazz) like absolute garbage. She gets very defensive when I try to talk to her about what she is doing, but gets mad if she feels like I’m not sharing my feelings. She is killing my love for her, and I am terrified. I feel like she cares so little for what I say/feel/need. She was alone for awhile (like 3 years), but we have been together for 2 1/2. I’m getting tired of the excuse that she’s not used to thinking of someone else. I love her so much, and I type this with tears in my eyes because her indifference is starting to make me numb. Any advice or tips would be received, as I’ll do whatever I can, but I am all out of ideas.

Dora Sesay July 13, 2012 at 3:10 am

Hello, am Dora living in Africa, am about marrying a German but the marriage laws in Germany are tight and we love each other. that why i logged into this site to find some verses relating to marriage and i hope you will help me pray for us to get a successful wedding and live a Godly way as God want us t be.

Thanks very much hope forward to hear from you.

Regards

Dora

Confused July 14, 2012 at 6:14 am

I am going out with a Jehova’s witness guy, he is loving and so caring, he wants to marry me towards year end, i am not a Jehova’s witness i go to a pentecostal church, how do i go about this, i love this guy and i dont have any other problem with him let alone his religion

tom chastain August 2, 2012 at 1:21 pm

if anyone is looking for a new devotional that has just come out billy graham has a new one that is called “hope for each day morning and evening devotional”

jose August 2, 2012 at 9:39 pm

hello, i meet this nice lady she is very kind and good human being …she just tolod me that she is separete from her ex husband 8 years ago, i just dnot know that much her she is very special person …i still merry to my ex wife separate for 9 yearsnow….thanks

Joe August 5, 2012 at 12:47 am

None of your scriptures say that two men/women cannot marry, but only describe a marriage of man and a woman. No where does He not say anything that it can’t be done, but also that defiling of a covenant is done through adultery not homosexuality specifically….

Pamela Rose Williams September 4, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Hello Joe. I am sorry for my late response.

Regarding your comment the Scriptures teach that marriage is between one man and one woman. God created man and then made a mate suitable for him — that was a woman (Gen 2:19-24). A man leaves his father and mother and cleaves to his wife, which is a woman. Adam and Eve were male and female and God designed it that way and never changed it to any other way.

Joe August 5, 2012 at 12:51 am

Hey Paul – “She is awful at handling setbacks, and when she gets irritated, she treats me (the one closest and all that jazz) like absolute garbage. She gets very defensive when I try to talk to her about what she is doing, but gets mad if she feels like I’m not sharing my feelings.”

I am pretty sure that the Bible doesn’t want you gossiping about your wife on an online chat forum… I try to act ALWAYS as the Bible dictates….. I’ll pray for all of us.

Brandon December 4, 2012 at 8:43 pm

He isn’t gossiping Joe, he is seeking support and guidance.

Patty August 10, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Hello Pam,
Am single mother of 2 beautiful kids, I was with my mate for 10 years and after a series of cheating and disrespect I decide separate from him, am alone for 2 years now and deep inside in my heart I want found a honest caring man, am 35 years old and I dream to get married, can you recommend me some of the scriptures, I heard that what I confess with my mouth that’s what I bring to my life, God Bless you.

Divine K. C. August 19, 2012 at 3:18 am

I am a 26 years old and i have been dating this lady who is about 30 years old now. I really am having a problem with the age gap between us and sometimes i seriously don’t know how to say it especially when we try to talk about getting married. I am at a loss as to what the scriptures say about this. Is it right for me to marry a woman who is about 3 years older than me. What does God’s word say about it..

Pamela Rose Williams September 4, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Hello Divine K C

The scriptures do not address this issue. Your age difference is actually not a large one. If you believe that this is the one for you marry her.

SolomonRaja November 13, 2012 at 7:21 am

Respected mam,
Please i am also in same suitation. I am 25yrs and she is 26yrs. My parents are saying to marry her. But i need a clear bible words whether to marry her or not. please…. i am in confussed suitation… help me
I have searched in web there is a link ( http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/112070/jewish/Aaron-and-Miriam.htm ) Please see the comment and Discussion (2) given below.

Desiree September 3, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Hello! I just wanted to say thank you for posting these wonderful verses and quotes! I am writing a paper for a SOC class and they were very helpful! I couldn’t help but read your responses to some of the posts (sob stories) left on here. Some of them made me think outside my “box”. Thank you!
I hope you have a blessed day!

Pamela Rose Williams September 4, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Hi Desiree. I was encouraged by your sweet words. Thank you

Bob September 5, 2012 at 10:02 am

Am 26yrs and have date a lady for 3yrs who is also 26… Am older than her with months…. But the problem is, her family sometimes breath on her neck to get married because she is not getting any younger….. I really do no and understand, but am jobless and trying very hard to find a job not that i dont do any work at all but its not good enough to get us married. she is now working in a good firm and the family wants her to get married… I really Love her and wants to spend the rest of my life with her, i want to marry her but things are getting difficult as time goes on…. As time goes on i feel like she has to do her families wish…..

Pamela Rose Williams September 6, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Hi Bob. It is important that you are able to provide for your wife. However be careful that you don’t let it become an excuse not to marry. If you believe that the is the woman that God has to be your wife do not delay. Delay can put temptations in your path. Marry her Bob.

patty September 19, 2012 at 4:47 am

I would like to have some bible scriptures abot marriage sent to my email address.

jerry September 28, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Someone told me that polygamy was in the bible and that it was okay with God. I don’t believe that but where are some scriptures that back up the definition of marriage?

Heirs International Ministries October 2, 2012 at 3:11 pm

GREAT START TO REKINDLE THE FLAME IN YOUR MARRIAGE!
FOR THOSE IN THE L.A. ORANGE COUNTY AND OR INLAND EMPIRE!
Rekindling the Flame of Romance presents…
“A Night for Lover’s Perfect Evening”

Saturday, October 20th, 2012 @ 6:00pm

Newport Landing Restaurant
503 East Edgewater Avenue
Newport Beach, CA 92661‎
(949) 675-2373
newport-landing.com

Please join us for a beautiful night out in Newport Beach with a romantic dinner, live music and an enchanting cruise around the harbor! In addition, on the cruise, you and your spouse can join Frank and Cassandra by participating in our sand covenant ceremony to renew and restore your holy union of marriage.

Dinner will be served promptly at 6:00pm and our cruise will begin promptly at 8:30pm

$120.00 per couple. 30 couple capacity!!! First come first serve…

Make your reservations today!!!

Clarissa October 3, 2012 at 4:41 pm

My husband and I have been separated and we our expecting our first child….we always fought about money and we didn’t k ow how to handle things I want to work on our marriage and he’s ready to give up…is there anything in the bible to help through this? I love my husband and my unborn child very much I desperately want to fix our marriage!!!

Jerry October 3, 2012 at 9:53 pm

What are the scriptures referring the sins that are an abominations? I know that they speak of lying with the same sex and other sexual sins. I don’t have the bible with me at this time. The question came up when I posted that a marriage was one man and one woman and that God said it and that is it.

rodgers October 11, 2012 at 8:43 am

thanks its so incouraging GODbless

Levi October 26, 2012 at 12:34 am

Pamela your bio says you have a degree in Christian Education. I was wondering if there was a typo in your opening paragraph or if you did not read the bible for this degree? Genesis 2:18 says nothing about marriage or one man one woman.

Levi October 26, 2012 at 12:36 am

In fact can u please tell where that quote is at? I can not find that verse in my edition on the bible.
The “one man one woman” quote

Chiquiti Nelson-Williams October 29, 2012 at 1:32 am

Hello, I;m a 23 year old female and I’m married to a wonderful husband and we argue sometimes and things get blowed out of element, what are something I can do to keep down a lot of arguing and have a better marriage? thank you so much !

Jay November 20, 2012 at 11:37 am

My wife and I have been married for 4yrs. We have two children together and I have a son from a prior relationship. Our oldest child together was born before we were married. Before our first child was born I did always feel in my heart that she would be the one I would marry, but the very day she annoucned to me that she was pregnant I had planned to tell her I wanted to slow things down. Since she was pregnant and I did love her, I never spoke of it and we decided to marry. Everything was great, our marriage seemed blessed. We were then blessed with another child. During the infancy of our second child, my wife lost interest in sex and I was unfaithful. I did not tell her of this at first. A couple years passed and we have grown further apart. It then came to light that she was unfaithful also, which is when I confessed to her of my unfaithfulness. Through much pain and struggle we both wanted to fight through this and make our marriage last. I love her very much and want our marriage to last forever but she says she is no longer “in”-love with me. My wife tells me that she wants to feel in-love again but doesn’t know how to even begin. I, knowing this, makes me feel distant , like it is not worth it because my love goes unreciprocated. Many of times I just want to give up. It becomes harder and harder to fight the temptations of the wandering eye because I am in search of that feeling. It also makes me not trust her, thinking there must be somebody else that she is in-love with or has interest for. My wife is in the military and we have found out that she will be overseas on duty for a year. Though I still want it to, Iam not sure our marriage will survive. Is our marriage so badly broken beyond repair? Should we just accepted it and move on? I pray and try my best to lead my family in the right way, but sometimes I feel like I’m not strong enough or wise enough to do it.

Tyra November 25, 2012 at 5:31 am

Hello, I’m 54 years old my husband is 48years old. My husband left me for another woman.I did’nt see it coming, i had no idea.He has been gone for 3 years. and the reason i still love hin dearly is he keep coming around. I need this marriage to be over. I pray all the time to ask god to take this from me. So that i can go on. Thank you

amber November 26, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Hello…

I need advise-

My husband and I were married in August. We are both divorcees and both have to children of our own from previous marriage. Long story short, my husband devotes a lot of time to his children who live in a nieghboring city and is often away until after dinner on week nights because of his children’s soccer, basketball or to visit his mother. I knew ging in that I had a busy hubby on my hands but I guess I just didn’t expect to feel a bit neglected. My children ask where he is all the time and I feel bad telling them time and time again that he’s visiting with his family. Are we not his family as well? Help.

JOHNSONBENNY November 28, 2012 at 3:34 am

HI, MY NAME IS JOHNSON BENNY,I GOT DIVORCE LAST 3 YEARS BEFORE SHE DON’T LIKE ME OR MY SON I PRAY FOR GOD SHE WILL RETURN BACK.BUT STILL SHE DON’T LIKE ME SO I WANT TO LOOK ME AND MY SON FOR A LADY.THAT WHY I WANT TO MARRY ANOTHER WOMEN.IF I DO IT.ITS GOOD OR BAD PLS GAVE ME ADVICE YOURS FAITHFULLY JOHNSON

Litifi Mwale December 15, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Hello Pamela, first of all i love the website and what is being shared on it…im not married yet though im seeing someone and we are coming very well…i have had one question on my mind concerning marriage, is it fine to marry a lady who is two years older than you?

prins kelvin December 17, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I am a young unemployed man who is in a relationship with a young lady. I am just 3 days older than her and we are both 25. We are staying away from sex but the temptation is more than great. We don’t have what it takes to get married by involving the family and friends. Is there any other way such as just the two of us seeing a pastor and getting engaged so we can co-habitate. Thank you all.

Jennifer B December 25, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Hi Pamela,

I was hoping you could help me with my worry. I am 22, and have always considered myself to be a Christian and lover of God, but recently it has been ever more important to me. I have been with my partner for almost 6 years, and we have been engaged for 2 years. We are now begining to plan our wedding, as well as the rest of our lives together. We have been sleeping together for the majority of our time together, and so when we marry I will not be ‘pure’. He is the only person I have slept with, and will be the only one until death do us part. Should I be ashamed to call myself a Christian and have a done wrong by God? I do not wish to ask for his forgiveness, as I know that I am with the man he meant for me to be with. Does God allow for us to do things ‘in a different order’, so to speak? My mother is a Catholic and so her views are stronger than my own, but am I allowed to believe in a religion and a God who simply wants me to be happy and to be a good person, instead of having to follow every single rule and feel ashamed if I do not?

Thank you so much for your time.

christiann January 5, 2013 at 3:15 am

I feel betrade… after five years of waiting for my lover to fianlly purpose… i told him he must leave his family’s house and provide for me what evr that may be…. he refused by saying I was being a “baby and needy,,,” his mom agreed as well, so I had to through the ring away… it has been over a year and i am still hert like it was yeasterday… I can’t date… i feel i belong still to him…. what hurts the most is I waited… I mean 4 years, and so i have no child from this relationship. i am almost 30 years old. I feel convicted with the one man one woman…. but what do you say to me this betraid and lonely losser….. I now that even at my age, I will still feel his betrail in my old age.

Amanda J January 6, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Hi. My husband and I have been married for almost a year. We have been steadily dating for 6 years. Marriage was not a big deal for us until recently. Our marriage is struggling very much. We love each other with all we have and are determined to make this marriage work. Do you have and Scriptures we could read or any suggestions on getting through this rough patch in our relationship. Thank you!

Gloria January 21, 2013 at 4:50 am

I have been married since 2009 and my husband left me to marry another woman as his culture demanded him to be a chief and he should marry at home first.
I came first but he couldn’t marry me as a first wife. At first things were fine till the other woman started giving him children and I couldn’t conceive. I tried everything but nothing worked till the doctor diagnosed me of fibroid and had to go for operation.
After the operation he left me to be with his family in the name of business and stayed for 5 months while I was alone in the house going through the healing process.
I had to work and handle his business while he was away , even though the gynae said I should try now cos there is nothing wrong with me , I cannot fall pregnant cos he is always away and when I complain he tells me that his business needs him and he cannot stay with me leave his business.
He always travells and leave me alone in the house, he accuses me of having boyfriends and sleeping around . He once mentioned that he needs to be there for his children to train them but he cannot make time for me, when he is around he don’t make time for me , we have never spent christmas together since I met him cos he always wants to go home for business. I have dated this man since 2000 and contributed a lot to his business, now he has achieved many things, he has houses and this other woman is enjoying my hard work though I am still renting a place to stay, when I tell him we should buy a house he wants me to do it, we don’t plan future together or do things together, he will do his things and I do my things alone. I met him while I was 27 years and this year I’m turning 40 years still no child in the marriage, no happiness, he is running around for money which I don’t even see. I have been fasting and praying to God to give me direction, to restore my marriage, to give me strength for things to work out fine but now I feel I have don’t have strength to continue with this marriage. I am now tired and believe I should quit and start life afresh. It will be hard but my God will see me through and restore me. I have tried but he don’t see it, he don’t value anything I do or appreciate me. Last year I spoke to my pastor cos I needed counselling but now I believe its time I make a decision. please advice, is it a sin to divorce?

NG February 2, 2013 at 10:12 am

Hi, am a 28yrs old Nigerian and not yet married. I also have 5 elder sisters still unmarried. There is this 40yrs old guy that professes so much love on me but the age gap is too much and I donot feel anything for him. I really want my elder sisters to get married first but the soulmates are not forth coming. Please send me scriptures I can use to pray and advice me.