Bible Verses About Forgiveness: 20 Encouraging Scripture Quotes

Forgiveness is a huge subject and certainly one in which the Bible is not silent. In the Bible we can read about our amazing and loving Heavenly Father who forgives us of all trespasses. God calls sinners to seek Him and promises them forgiveness. It is because of His great mercy and grace that God rescues the believer from the dominion of darkness that began way back in the Garden. Jesus extends a loving invitation for forgiveness of sins which is only possible through His shed blood. He gave His life so that we may live. We are forgiven because He was forsaken – That is amazing love! Here are some encouraging Scripture quotes about forgiveness.

Isaiah 55:6-7 “Seek the LORD while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the LORD, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.

God’s Character is Forgiving

Psalm 51:17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.

Psalm 103:8-12 The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. He will not always chide, nor will he keep his anger forever. He does not deal with us according to our sins, nor repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us.

Isaiah 1:18 “Come now, let us reason together, says the LORD: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool.

Jesus Invites and Forgives

Matthew 5:22-24 But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire. So if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar and go. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift.

Matthew 11:28-30 “… Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

Luke 7:47-48 “…Therefore I tell you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven—for she loved much. But he who is forgiven little, loves little.” And he said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.” (Jesus speaking to the accusers and the woman caught in adultery)

Luke 23:43 “And he said to him, “Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise.” (Jesus speaking to the thief on the cross)

John 4:13-14 Jesus said to her, “Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” (Jesus speaking to the woman at the well)

God’s Gift to All – The Only Way

Seek the LORD while He may be found … call upon His name

Acts 4:10-12 “… let it be known to all of you and to all the people of Israel that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead—by him this man is standing before you well. This Jesus is the stone that was rejected by you, the builders, which has become the cornerstone. And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.” (Peter speaking to the rulers of the people and the elders at Jerusalem)

Acts 10:42-43 “…And he commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one appointed by God to be judge of the living and the dead. To him all the prophets bear witness that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.” (Peter speaking of what Jesus commanded the Apostles to do)

2 Corinthians 5:18-19 All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation.

Ephesians 1:7-10 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight making known to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.

Colossians 1:13-14 He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.

The Christian’s Attitude of Forgiveness

Matthew 6:14 For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you (attitude: forgive because you love the Lord)

1 Corinthians 13:4-7 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. (attitude: can love cover it?)

2 Corinthians 2:5-8 Now if anyone has caused pain, he has caused it not to me, but in some measure—not to put it too severely—to all of you. For such a one, this punishment by the majority is enough, so you should rather turn to forgive and comfort him, or he may be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow. So I beg you to reaffirm your love for him. (attitude: stand ready to forgive)

Galatians 6:1-2 Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. (attitude: approach gently and stand ready to restore the relationship)

Ephesians 4:31-32 Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.(attitude: loving and forgiving just like God forgave you)

Christian Quotes About Forgiveness

“A forgiveness ought to be like a canceled note, torn in two and burned up, so that it can never be shown against the man. “  ~ Henry Ward Beecher

“Forgiveness is an act of the will, and the will can function regardless of the temperature of the heart.”  ~ Corrie Ten Boom

“Man has two great spiritual needs. One is for forgiveness. The other is for goodness.”  ~ Billy Graham

“Forgiving and being forgiven are two names for the same thing. The important thing is that a discord has been resolved.”  ~ C.S. Lewis

“To err is human, to forgive, divine.”  ~ Alexander Pope

Looking For Something Else? Here are some more Bible verses and pages about forgiveness that you might want to check out:

Bible stories about forgiveness David Peach shares some examples in the Bible which illustrate the forgiving character of God toward His people.

5 Bible Lessons about forgiveness also written by David Peach, in this article David shares more real life examples of how forgiving our Heavenly Father is to His creation.

Songs about forgiveness is a collection of songs that speak of forgiveness.

Resources

The Holy Bible, English Standard Version

www.youtube.com – ” Amazing Love” by Chris Tomlin

Image: markuso / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Taber's Truths Christian Blog June 23, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Woo Hoo! Another great list. I have one on this subject myself!

Jack Wellman June 23, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Yes, I agree with the previous comment. Absolutely wonderful work. I enjoy digging into the Word of God to learn more about the wonderful ways of our Master and Lord. Thank you.

IRAYESORISANE ISAAC January 12, 2012 at 2:31 pm

i am new here God has being speaking to me thru dream that i should go and evagelize is work to people but i dont know or let me say i dont understand it until my wife dream and tell me same thing now i want to gon into the world and preach the gospel si, ma wo do i start please i need you in the lord thank Isaac from nigeria

Pam January 12, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Hello Irayesorisane Isaac, I have an article that might help you with your questions. Our writer, David Peach wrote this one and it has some great advice in it. I hope this is helpful. Click on the following link to read it:http://www.whatchristianswanttoknow.com/how-to-become-a-christian-missionary-following-god%E2%80%99s-call/

Thank you for leaving your questions in the comments here at WCWTK.

Natalyia November 21, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Hello. I have a question. What if someone has done something that is past being forgiven? I am 12 years old and my mother doesn’t seem to care. Wait doesn’t seem to….. she doesn’t actually she didn’t. I dont know anymore. I think she finally woke up and cared but even now she doesn’t care enough to come visit a lot. I wanted to live with her and she said, and I quote, “I don’t have the time for you right now.” Yet she gave birth to me and she says shes trying soo hardd but im not stupid no she is not. Yet I should forgive her when she is so unworthy of my forgiveness?

Pam December 14, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Hi Natalyia, First, please accept my apology for taking so long to reply. Honey as parents, sometimes we do things that are very selfish. I have 6 children and I know there have been times that I have failed to be a good mom. Even so, they have always stood ready to forgive me. I cannot tell you why your mom cannot make time for you, but I can assure you that no matter what is happening in her life right now, she will always love you. It may not seem so, but a mother’s love is like no other. It is very possible that she just does not know how to show her love for you. I do not believe that anything can be “past” forgiveness. Remember this: you cannot control what your mom does or says or neglects to do and say. What you can do is “stand ready” to forgive her. When you have a heart ready to forgive you will be blessed beyond anything you can imagine. When you hold bitterness in your heart you miss out on blessings. Love the unlovely, this is what we are encouraged to do. I believe you can do this! The Bible is so full of encouraging words, here is what I would like to leave you with: “Trust in the LORD, and do good … Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.” (Psalms 37:3-4). This is a promise and God is not a man that he can lie. I will lift you up in prayer sweet Natalyia. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your heart here at WCWTK.

Dear natalyia, November 28, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Do not hold resentment against your mother. Her lack of what seems like care, is maybe missunderstood. Fill your life with love from others and God. Dont let this hold you back. There is a reasoning for everything. Forgiving doesnt mean you have to completely forget, just that you dont want to hold something against that person. Pray for good to come there way-just as you wish upon yourself.

Jazmine December 14, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I am a christian… but i am having a hard time forgiving those who has hurt me in the past… I just cant get pass the hurt… what should i do???

Pam December 14, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Hi Jazmine, thank you for your question. I suggest that every time you think of the hurt that has been rendered towards you, that you think on something else. Paul gives us a great list of the kinds of things that we can think of, take a look at Philippians 4:8-9 “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.”

Do you see that? God promises “peace” when we think on the right things. Dwelling on past hurts are troubling and unpeaceful. When you find yourself going to that place, check the list in Phil 4:8-9 … if what you are thinking on is not in that list, think on something else. It takes some time but if you can commit this passage to memory, you will have it in your heart whenever you need it. I do believe you can get past the hurt Jazmine — it begins with what we think. We do what we do because we feel what we feel because we think what we think. Renew your mind with the Word of God. Get daily in the Word, when you are focusing on the things of God, other things will not invade your heart. I will pray that you are able to change your thinking so that you can move forward. Blessings to you sister.

Lolita December 17, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I am struggling with some issues with both my mother and my daughter. I hae tried so hard to help them finacially and emotionally. I really tried but they wore me out. One drinks, one gets high all the time. I was the only working in the household, I gave all I had financially then, I got tired and moved out w/my aunt. Now they in very deep financial trouble and I tried to get and guide them to get help, but no one get up ealry enough to go and seek help, part time work or do anything. I feel horrible for them, but I feel that they should take this moment and do what needs to be done. I can’t enable them anymore. But I still feel so badly….I pray for them and do check up once in a while… What should I do. Are these feeling a sing? Please help.

Pam January 12, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Hello Lolita, Please forgive me for taking so long to reply to your question. It sounds like you have worked hard at caring for your family. What you are feeling is compassion Lolita. You feel bad that your mother and your daughter can not help themselves because they are blinded by the things that choke their ability to be responsible. You should continue to pray for a change in heart for the two of them and continue to check in on them, letting them know that you love them. What I can do is join you in prayer for your family. I will pray that God softens their hearts and that they come to Him for what they need. I will pray most of all that if they do not know the Saviour Jesus that they come to know Him. What they need is the power of the Holy Spirit that indwells every believer. That power will take their life defeating habits and replace them with a new love the is beyond compare with anything. It is the love and peace that only a believer can have. You can count on me for fervent prayer in this circumstance Lolita. Thank you for bringing this to our attention so we can pray!

Katee January 13, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I have been hurt by who I considered one of my best friends.
She stopped talking to me due to me filing for divorce from her husbands best friend. She decided that she would no longer commuicate with me until yesterday. It has been more than a year later and she all the sudden what to say hi and acts like everything is fine. She wants to talk and be friends. I told her how I felt when she deserted our friendship. How do I forgrive her with my whole heart and be able to be friends with her again when she did such an terrible thing to me?
thanks

Pam January 13, 2012 at 2:40 pm

OH Katee, Thank the Lord that she is wanting to cultivate your friendship. She may never ask you for forgiveness, but the main thing is that you should stand ready to forgive. Remember that God is ready to forgive us of our sins, but we must choose to accept his gift of salvation. Friendship is a very special thing and when a husband and wife break up it is very, very hard on our friends. You see, they think they need to choose which of the couple to remain friends with. They feel awkward about the whole thing. Here is an article about friendship that you might want to read that was written by our Josh Wiley … he did a great job and I hope you are blessed by it http://www.whatchristianswanttoknow.com/bible-verses-about-friendship-20-good-scripture-quotes/

In the mean time … love your friend and be friendly … that is what you should do (Prov 17:17 and Prov 18:24)

Blessings to you and thank you for stopping by and leaving your comment at WCWTK! Stop by regularly, we love to share God’s Word.

LaToya S. Fontenot January 14, 2012 at 6:42 pm

“If we refuse to freely release forgiveness, then we have become slaves to unforgiveness, and a slave must be set free…LaToya S. Fontenot”

Pam January 16, 2012 at 4:24 pm

AMEN! Thank you for posting your quote LaToya.

STAR BERRY January 23, 2012 at 7:35 am

HEY EVERYONE I HAVE A QUESTION…MY NAME IS STAR AND IM 22YRS OLD…IVE BEEN RUNNING THE STREETS SINCE I WAS 13..AND NOT IM JUST TO THE POINT WHERE IM TIRED..TO ME I REALLY THINKS IT’S GOD DOING THAT..2010-2011 WAS A VERY BAD YEAR FOR ME….I START’D ROBBING PEOPLE N SELLIN…IT WAS JUST WORST THEN BEFORE AND I KNEW I HAD TO STOP SOON BEFORE I LOST MY LIFE….TWO DAYS BEFORE NEW YEARS LAST YEAR…I GOT ROBBED AT GUN POINT….WORST DAY N MY LIFE….THEN THIS MAN I HAD BEEN LOVIN AND GIVIN MY HEART…TOOK EVERYTHING I HAD ($10,000) AND DIDNT CARE…TOLD ME IT WAS ALL PART OF THE GAME…TEL THIS DAY I WANNA DO SOMETHING TO HIM OR HIS FAMILY BUT I ALWAYS FIND MYSELF READING FORGIVENESS VERSES…TRYING TO HEAL MY OWN BROKEN HEART I GUESS BUT FOR SOME REASON I JUST CANT FORGET AND THE PAIN AND ANGER IS GROWIN STRONGER..TO THE POINT I HAVE TO STAY IN THE HOUSE BECAUSE I KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF I LEAVE THE HOUSE MAD….I JUST DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO…PLEASE HELP

Pam January 30, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Hello Star, Your first step if you have not done that already is to trust Jesus as your Saviour. To do this it is very simple. You must believe that you are a sinner and know that there is nothing you can do yourself to be forgiven of that sin. All people are sinners, just like me. But the good news is when you believe God loves you so much that he gave his Son Jesus to pay your sin penalty (which is death), then you will be forgivebn of your sins, past, present and future. AND there is even more good news, when you believe in the truth of this gospel, that Jesus was crucified, died and was buried and then rose again in victory over death, you receive His promise of the Holy Spirit. Holy Spirit indwells all believers and gives them the power to overcome the difficulties that we have in this present world. You will even have the power to forgive those that have done you wrong. The most important thing you can do with your life Star is to surrender to the fact that you need a Saviour. He is the only One that can heal your broken heart and give you the power to move on. I will pray that you accept God’s gift of grace and believe in what Jesus did for you.

Johnson January 30, 2012 at 7:49 am

i am so excite about what i read on this site and i believe this is a good start for a sinner to repent and learn on how to forgive….thank you so much Mrs Pam for posting this here may the good lord almighty be with you and your family….AMEN

Pam January 30, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Hello Johnson, thank you for taking the time to post these kind words. Blessings to you too!

Krista February 1, 2012 at 10:17 am

Hi im 23 years old and my B/F is 32 we have a daughter together and she is 18months we have been together 5 years this month. Now we have had terrbile times with him cheating and just recent . we have both come to the Lord and involed in a church.. but there is apart of me still so angry and unable to forgive him and when i cry i cry for the Lord to take my pain away because it so deep. is there any suggesting to us building our realtionship bigger and better and with the Lord

Pam February 1, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Hi Krista, I have some suggestions but before we even start to look at you as a couple, let’s see how things are with you. How is your prayer life? Do you spend time with the Lord daily? If not, an easy way to get started is to take a look at the book of Proverbs. Notice that there are 31 chapters there. On each day read and meditate on one Proverb — the one that corresponds with the day that we are in, so for example, today is Feb 1, so I read Proverbs 1. Then read one a day. When you have a short month read more than one chapter on the last day so that in the new month you begin at Proverbs 1 again.

Next, I want you to choose a verse or couple verses and memorize it (them). Everyday before you get out of bed say that verse in your heart. A good one for you to start with might be: //Psalm 86:4-5 Gladden the soul of your servant, for to you, O Lord, do I lift up my soul. For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving, abounding in steadfast love to all who call upon you.// I mention this one because you have shared that you are having a hard time forgiving your loved one. So begin with yourself Krista. Do that for February and when you are finished we can talk about the next step. You can see that my contact email is prwilliams01@gmail.com. I will be happy to help you in this situation.

I can not close without encouraging you and your B/F to be married. In the eyes of God you already are but as a testimony of your love and devotion to one another enter into matrimony. This will please the Lord very, very much.

Krista when you have a good relationship with the Lord your other relationships will come together. I hope to hear from you in March.

Megan February 2, 2012 at 12:47 am

I just wanted to say thank you for posting these encouraging verses. I often struggle with accepting forgiveness for past sins. When I read these scriptures and your uplifting and loving words to others, it makes me realize that God not only forgave me, but also wants me to move on and live an abundant life. Thank You God and thank you Mrs. Pam.

Pam February 3, 2012 at 4:32 pm

AMEN Megan! Indeed, accepting forgiveness and standing ready to forgive is very liberating! I am happy to post these Scriptures and blessed to be part of the WCWTK team. Blessings!

Bryana February 12, 2012 at 4:18 pm

hi there, i just got done reading the encouraging verses of forgiveness. And i was just wondering how our heavenly father has so much mercy and can easily forgive anyone who believes in him its so amazing. Now im going through some trials in my life right now. My children are being kept away from me and their father has them in hes custody it seems like hes using the children to get back at me for whatever he has against me. We have been apart and hes moved on. So i don’t understand what the problem is and why were always arguing about past issues. And he uses such cruel words along with judgmental accusations that he has no knowledge about towards me in such a hateful way i just don’t understand where i need to stand if i should still forgive or be forgiven or i don’t know im just confused and hurt. Most of all im missing out on my kids life because of this situation. i guess im afraid too. any suggestions? thanks Bryana..

Pam February 12, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Hello Bryana, I am truly sad that you cannot be with your children. In a situation such as you have shared it is perhaps the most difficult to stand ready to forgive. We should pray for the love of Jesus to resolve the issue. I will pray if he does not know Jesus that things happen for the gospel to be presented to him so he can accept the gift of grace. Only then will he be able to see how important it is for your children to have you in their lives. My heart aches for you and I pray Jesus can shine through you in spite of your circumstance.

Janesiah February 15, 2012 at 10:47 am

Hello,
I have been through alot in the past couple of months. I am 7 months pregnant and I just recently found that the man I though I was in love with was living a lie. He had been dating another lady and also trying to start a family with her as well. When I found out of this I literally almost lost my mind but with me accepting christ into my life and lots of prayer God gave me the strength to move on. I have forgiven him but I’m finding it hard to forget what he has done to me. How do I move past it?

Pam February 15, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Hello Janesiah, thank you for leaving your comment here. Forgetting is the most difficult as humans. I do not believe we ever forget about the hurt,rather we can choose to replace the bad thoughts with good thoughts. Try memorizing Phil 4:8 and then when you find that you are dwelling on things that are not found in this passage of Scripture ask the Lord to help you to think on true, honest, just, pure, lovely, good and virtuous things. its all about how you think Janesiah We are promised peace when we direcr our thinking in the right direction.

Also very soon you will have a new bundle of joy! Look forward to that and love your babay because children are an heritage of the Lord and the fruit of the womb is his reward (Ps 127:3). I will add you to my personal prayer list and pray that the Lord richly blesses you.

Heather February 17, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Hi…..
I am having a really tough time of it right now. I know that God has put me here for a reason and I feel I can’t get to what that reason is until I have closed everything from my past. My ex-husband was unfaithful to me with our two boys in the house and awak. They were banging on the door crying for him and he kept telling them to go away because he was busy. They were young at the time 5 and 4 at the oldest. Now the girl that he cheated on me with has the nerve to send me an e-mail blaming it all on me!! This has been many years back and the boys and I are far away from him and happy and healthy. they are well adjusted and 2 weeks ago we were all three saved and last Sunday we were all baptised. He called me up threatening me with court action saying at 7 and 9 they were not old enough to make that decision. I did not ask them to do it…they asked our pastor on their own what it meant to be saved and he took us in his office and explained it all to them in very clear words to be sure they understood. He then invited us to be baptised the next Sunday he took the time then also to explain to them what that meant also. How do I get beyond this? I have prayed for him (not for her but I will tonight) to see what he did to me and to them but I still have this anger in my heart because he has never paid one cent in child support but expects me to send him school pictures and have them call him all the time. That cost money and he doesn’t seem to care or understand. He was always rather selfish and controlling but now he seems to be pushing even more. When I have to speak to him on the phone I remain calm and relaxed (on the outside) even when he is screaming at me. HELP!!!!

Pamela Rose Williams April 9, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Hi Heather, please forgive me for my very tardy reply.

I must start by saying Praise the Lord that you know Him as Savior and now you have the power of the Holy Spirit to help you through this stuff. Perhaps this is why you feel like you need to close a chapter.

Heather, it is difficult when we are mistreated and yet God expects us to be kind. l encourage you to somehow find it in your heart to stand ready to forgive. You must understand that the only way that your ex-husband will change is also by the power of the Holy Spirit. For now, he is acting just as you should expect — an unsaved person acting like an unsaved person.

Contrary to what their father thinks, your boys are old enough to make this decision for Jesus and truly no court will prevent them from that. At least not in the USA

If you truly want to stand ready to forgive does money have anything to do with that? I understand your point about the expense and the child support and also know that there are government agencies that can help with that. Have you looked into that? Also, I see that your heart wants your children to know their father in spite of his selfishness. This is the right thing to do Heather, continue to let them know their father but make sure it is a safe thing to do also.

Consider this, warn your ex-husband that when he begins “screaming” that you will end the conversation immediately. And then follow through with your promise to do it. Shouting does not make it true and no one needs to be the receiver of such verbal abuse. I want to encourage you that it appears that you are keeping the proper attitude and please know that you can not be your ex-husband’s Holy Spirit. You can only be responsible for your actions and nothing he does should cause you to “react”. Incorporate these four things into your communications with him, they are biblical principles and you will be blessed when you stick to them: (1) Be Honest; (2) Keep current (don’t bring up the past — there are enough problems today); (3) Attack the problem, not the person and (4) Act, don’t React (continue being swift to hear and slow to speak).

I pray that you are able to one day resolve your differences with your children’s father and that one day he too hears the truth of the gospel and accepts Jesus as Savior and Lord. God can even save him.

TJ February 22, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Hey…
My husband and I just got married a month ago but we’ve been togethe for 17 yrs, weve broken up only 2 times because he decided he wanted some one else, but I took him back because of my love for him. Well a month before we got married I emailed a guy at work , it was a flirtatious one but let tha guy know I was married n had no plans of learning my husband. Now my husband went into my phone n seen tha emails so I confessed what I did was wrong n how deeply sorry I was for even entertaining it. I asked for forgiveness but he seems unwilling to give it… He says were just 2 ppl living in the same house… I told him id do whatever it takes for him to believe me.so ive decided to leave my job n find a new one… I dont wanna throw up his past ive greatly forgiven him, but id love tha same forgiveness n love ive givin to him…

Pamela Rose Williams April 9, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Hello TJ,

I apologize for my late reply. How are things going with you and hubby? Would love an update, perhaps I may be able to give you some advice but I need current circumstance.

Sharon White February 23, 2012 at 5:13 am

I,hen I am trying so hard to forgivre my friend.I hszve been hurt by him over and overagain.WhenI say something to him about it,he getmafat me. Sometime I fell that I can’t talk to him.But the strange part of this is thatI amm on oxygen and he still smoke.Now he cough somuch that I try telling that his smoking hasgot in his wzy and it cloging phis lungs.He ge myselfet mad at mefor saying that.Sometime I just don’t want tobe with him.I blame some time because I HAVE A HARD TIME TELLING nO,ii NEEDHELPTOMAKE ME STRONG AND NOT GIVE IN TO HIS BAD HABITS.wHAT AM i SPPOSED TO DO?

Pamela Rose Williams April 9, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Hello Sharon, I see it has been a long while since I responded to you, please forgive me.

I will give you what the Bible has to say about friendship:
Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times
Prov 18:24 A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.

Love him in spite of his bad habits. That is what you are supposed to do. And pray for supernatural intervention so that he can drop the bad habits and be healthy.

Audrielle March 4, 2012 at 8:05 am

Pamela Rose Williams April 9, 2012 at 5:30 pm

You are quite welcome Audrielle!

Orodriguez April 3, 2012 at 2:43 am

Im 20yrs old. Have been in a serious relationship with my bf for a little over 2 yrs. may not seem like a long time but he has always treated me right, never had put me down, on the plus side parents love him. Just recently I found a picture I never hoped to find. I was so heart broken and devestated. I have always had a heard time forgiving people and especially forgetting. I cry when I’m alone, heart aches just thinking about it. I love him so much. I know he is deeply sorry but I don’t have the strength to forgive him completely and honestly can’t forget. I can’t see myself without him, and he doesn’t want to let go either. I just need encouragement to forgive.

Jack April 7, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Thank you Orodiguez for your comment and open honesty. You are right…you don’t have the strength to forgive him…but we can do all things thru Christ who strengthens us (Phil 4:13). In my own strength, it is useless, but God can enable us to do what we can not ourselves. Ask Him for this strength and surely, a merciful and gracious God would honor such a request. Think of this that Christ died for us while we were still yet enemies of Him. Let the Word of God say it better than I could:

Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. (Rom 5:7-8). He died for us while we were still sinners. Sin had separated us from God and we were enemies of the cross, yet Jesus died for us, regardless.

Pamela Rose Williams April 9, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Amen, I could not have said it better myself

Mirinda du Plessis April 18, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Powerful words directly from God’s Word.

santos May 2, 2012 at 9:24 am

Read more: http://www.whatchristianswanttoknow.com/bible-verses-about-forgiveness-20-encouraging-scripture-quotes/#ixzz1tiqcIn1j

Mary Prince April 7, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Hi,I am 21 yrs old and I am now a preacher.I have been preaching for two years in our church.The thing is that I have been dropped out of school when I was 17years old due to my sickness.Before that I had a car accident.And my parents at home most of the times they have conflicts and we as children try our best to calm them or try and reconcile them together but it doesn’t work. I have been sexually abused three years ago and I have forgiven the people who have done it. But,as a Christian,I have been a very bad boaster in the past and the people that i have been boasting about doesn’t seems to forgive me when I try to say that,’I am sorry’.What should I do???

Jack April 7, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Mary, at least you have tried. When you asked for forgiveness from them, God has forgiven you for your boasting. Their unwillingness to forgive you is on them and not you. You have done what you can and gone to the party that you sinned against…now only the Holy Spirit can convict them and I would just say, let God be God and let Him do the convicting. You have forgiven them and so your Father in Heaven has forgiven you. You can only pray that God the Holy Spirit convicts them to forgive you because we can not do this work of the Spirit. I am blessed by your comment. So abused, so much conflict and trials, yet you are a forgiving lady. God will and if fact, I believe, has already blessed you and you are free from that sin. Now it is up to them to clear their own harboring of their grudge for it. Who among us has not had pride and boasted. I can not cast the first stone unless it would be at me. Please keep in touch and thank you for your visit.

Tead Onyikx April 9, 2012 at 4:09 am

I am much bless and hill spiritually, i was having a grange with my friend, from what i have learn in this quotes and vases, so mighty, i have to forgive and repent to him my friend that is. May the Almighty above, the only and the holy of Israel forgive me and bless you all.
amen

Pamela Rose Williams May 2, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Amen!

Lindsay April 16, 2012 at 9:59 am

Another good one saying of God’s forgiveness is Psalm 25. The list was awesome & very helpful! Made me truly know about forgiveness right from God’s word. Don’t we have such a forgiving Savior?

Wendy April 29, 2012 at 7:51 am

Pam,

I have a man who we were once in a relationship and when we came to God together we made our lives different. My children have come between us that is why i believe we never married , and i believe to it was because his wife passed away in 2002 . after coming to Christ we n
know longer slept together, which i know that is right but out relationship went only to friends and i had other things with my kids come up that didn’t help us get a relationship back on track but none the less we stayed close to one another and seen eachother alot , but not as i would have liked it . I always did for my kids cause i felt sorry for them cause they grew up without there dads in there lives (by the fathers choices not mine) and i did to much for them.they are now all grow up an adults but don’t act like it . my daughter had a drinking problem at 20 and became an alcoholic. she had to 2 children who i took her to court for and won until she got her life together. so now this ment that my wanting a relationship with this man was yet on hold again and he was ok with it but says when will you let your kids live there lives and stop running there lives for them. ok i guess sometimes i do that with my kids cause i feel at times i know whats best for them than they do. so ok my friend rents and apartment to me (the 2nd floor) and my daughter the first floor cause he knows that im working on her getting her kids back. but a fight broke out with my son and daughter and they physically touched either and the cops were called . im now stressed at this point and what does my daughter do but call my friend (my ex boyfriend who i want a relationship with again) and he comes to her house to see if shes ok and sits with her awhile. he then leaves and doesnt’ speak to me at all cause when i was talking to the cops i called him my former boyfriend/friend and that hurt him … (really) my son and a friend i guess while i was at work sat across the street from the house to make my daughter mad and yelled stuff out the window as they drove by , so once again she called my friend up and he went over and stayed with her about 2hours (now mind you he never came to my house when i was upset to talk to me … he talked over the phone to me ) so my son calls me at work to tell me has been there at her house for 2 hrs now and playing with my grandchildren and talking with my daughter ..my mind and mouth got away with me … my daughter had accused me with sleeping with her boyfriend and that is all she kept saying and it really made me mad and upset that i lashed out at my friend and call my pastor to tell him i think there is something going on with my daughter and my friend. now my pastor said are you sure.. i said no but what else am i to think at this point . my pastor said call me when your done working and we will talk about this more . so ok i call him and i then also found out my friend left her his business cell phone so if she needed to call the police if my son went back around there .(and im not to be mad about that too) so i call my pastor back he says well im gonna talk to him and see whats going on and in the mean time where are you staying (cause when this all started i moved out of his apartment) i said in my car some nights and some nights with my mom and older son.. (but i did’t really want to impose ) my pastor tells me that he called my friends daughter and talked to her about all this (i dont understand why though since he was to talk to him not the daughter , but then again he gave my daughter his cell phone so i guess he couldn’t talk to him) the daughter told the pastor that she feels her dad was with me cause i reminded him of his wife ( really that is what she said) he said he also had asked my friend once that if we decided to get married his gift would be to marry us (but i never knew this ) and im not sure what my friends response was cause alll my pastor said at that point is that i should move on without him (really ) i thought that are to help you resolve the problem and work things out … ( i guess not ) my pastor then tells me he will call me back on monday to make sure im alright and talk somemore cause he wanted to make sure i wasnt sleeping in my car ( guess what he has yet to call me back and its been over three weeks) but i still go to the bible studies we have and he says nothing to me . I have since also asked my friend on the phone to , if i could stop and talk to him after work , he says ” what for ” i said i need to talk to you and (what i wanted to do was do a foot washing and tell him how sorry i was for ever thinking that he and my daughter every did anything ) after 10 years i do know the man and i was just so hurt that day and depressed that i left the devil get ahold of me and all these bad things came out my mouth, but yet my friend said no he didnt want me to go to his house and said what is it you want .. ” i said i want to tell you how very sorry i am for saying the things i said about you . i never really ment for this to happen and go so far. he said “listen i forgive you cause thats what we are to do .” we didn’t talk long and then he hung up . i called him days later and talked and again told him how sorry i truly was . (see he gave me a ring in the beginning of our relationship an i gave it back after the fight ) i asked for it back cause it ment something to me and i was angry when i gave it back . he said ” listen i have only given 2 women a ring and the one is still wearing hers and said i couldn’t have it back right now ” the phone conversation went good at the end and he said we could talk cause i said i don’t want to loose you i love you and miss you . he said we can talk . well that has been over 2 weeks cause when i call him he dont’ answer i get voicemail. he did call me back the one time to say you called me, i said yes to talk cause i was a little upset and he use to calm me down. but now he don’t answer at all .
Im sure i deserve the silent treatment , but don’t tell someone you can call them then dont answer. what am i to think … did he really forgive me or just say it cause he knows thats what we as christians are to do. i do love him and want him in my life . i have loved him 10 years and that never changed .. but what really gets me is .. he can’t truly have forgiven me at all … cause his wife had cheated on him in there marriage and left her kids and went with another man for a couple months and he forgave her and left her back in his life , yes they were married and had kids , but im stressed at this point in my life and have since told my kids they need to deal with there own problems and leave me out of it so i can move on with my life whatever that may be . with or without my friend i guess… if you truly have forgiven someone should you ignore them or what ? how can i make things right again with him to know that this would never happen again ? i need help cause i can’t ask my pastor cause he sticks by my friend cause he gives money to the church and to him and i feel that if the pastor says anything to him my friend wont give no more money or help… and i know that is terrible to say that but that is the way i feel. PLEASE help me and what should i do ? im tired of crying and feeling so depressed and alone .

sincerely
Wendy

Jack April 30, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I am so sorry for answering for Pam. She may have better advice than I can give you. I am also so sorry for your troubles here that sound very difficult Wendy. In the first place, if you forgive someone and they don’t respond, you have done all that you can do. I commend you for that for that is Christ-like.

I am sad to see that the pastor sticks by your friend just because this friend gives money to the church. It sounds like bribery to me if the pastor fails to stick by this person just because they give offerings.

In my opinion, you should not ignore the person that you forgave for it you do, it appears that you still hold a grudge. We should love them not because they deserve it but because they need it. This is Jesus’ model. He loved us while we were still enemies of Him. If he hasn’t forgiven you, that’s not your fault. That is on him and you are off the hook. Let me say that we will pray about this for you.

We can only pray about this and place this in God’s hands. When we cast all our cares upon Him, He can handle what we can not. Proverbs 21:1 I believe it is says that “The king’s heart is in the hand of the Lord, Like the rivers of water; He turns it wherever He wishes.” Now if God can direct and lead the king’s heart like water in His mighty hands, we must trust Him to direct all things, including this person’s heart. I know that the trouble is in his heart but God can do mighty things as we know. Is anything to hard for Him? Of course not. He created the universe so we can pray that He send God the Holy Spirit to move and direct her heart toward the things that count and are eternal. I too am grieved by what you are going thru. I pray God will play the velvet thumb of pressure, move into their conscience even if it takes a dream to wake them up, or something or someone outside of the family to move them but truly, this type of work has to come from God and God alone, as you know of course. I feel helpless and unable to say anything else. I’d surrender it all to God and believe this is what God delights in. When we come to the end of our selves our own strength, our own effort, God was waiting there all the time to have us let go and let Him. Miracles still happen and truly the conversion of the human heart is the greatest miracle of all time and all eternity in all the universe. Trust Him, let go, and pray and I will join with you Wendy.

Pamela Rose Williams May 2, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Jack, no apology necessary, you gave and excellent response, as always because I know it is from the Lord and not of your own accord.

Wendy, I am sad about your situation and sadly this is a common, yet terrible occurrence in our churches today. Actually, it is not uncommon for a Pastor to take his family and leave a church that has members that want to control him with the purse strings.

As far as what you should do — exactly like my brother Jack says: //Trust Him, let go, and pray and I will join with you//. I am praying now Wendy, in Jesus Name. AMEN

Favour May 3, 2012 at 10:02 am

i am from cameroon, i had this guy who told me he will marry me and when i felt sick, and went to the my sister, this guy pregnant another girl and now they are staying together.
this guy left with my money and somethings in my house. we fellowship in the same church and each time i see this guy, i am not feeling fine and even the girl does not greet me.
i find it difficult to forgive and forget this incident; couple with the disappointments that i have been having; please Pam i need help and how to go about this.
For i want to forget this and move with God, i dont want to think about it again any more.

Jack May 3, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Hello Favour. I am so very sorry you are enduring such a severe trial. I don’t know what Pam would suggest, but let me say that the greatest model of forgiveness is Jesus Christ as He prayed to the Father to forgive those who were crucifying Him. You are never more like Jesus than when you pray for those who hurt you and dispitefully use and abuse you. We give them not what they deserve but what they need; forgiveness. Jesus said to pray for our enemies…He teaches us to bless those who persecute us. To pray for God’s blessing on these two who have wounded you so deeply is only possible thru the power of the Holy Spirit. Try this…pray for them, forgive them, treat them with love and then, as the Bible says, “In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head, and the LORD will reward you” (Prov 25:22) and “On the contrary: “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head” (Rom 12:20). I know this is what the opposite of our human nature says we should do but you will never be more like God than when you pray for them, ask God’s blessing on them, and forgive them.

Pamela Rose Williams May 3, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Hello Favour, I see my brother Jack has given you excellent advice already and I thank him for that. Perhaps I might understand a little more the feelings of a woman. We are so much more emotional than a man, as by our design. Because of this it is much more difficult for us to forget the hurt that is inflicted upon us by these life issues. I love how Jack used Jesus as the greatest example of how to forgive. Jesus also taught that we should love everyone, even our enemies. We are commanded to do that and so it is what we must do.

I am reminded of the first martyr, Stephen … as he was being stoned to death his dying words were: “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” And falling to his knees he cried out with a loud voice, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” And when he had said this, he fell asleep. (Acts 7:59-60)

Favour, I believe that this account about Stephen was given for our learning — can you ask the Lord to “not hold this sin against them”. Give this to the Lord and He will give you peace. You can not control what they are doing, you can only do what you know pleases the Lord and that is forgiving them and then putting it out of your mind. Replace your thoughts with other things. Find someone who needs your help and serve them. When you edify others greater than yourself you will find that you have no time to dwell on these sad memories and deep wounds that you have. Serving others is what will give you true joy because it is what God wants you to do (Phil 2:1-4).

Pray for them because they are not able to pray for themselves.

So in summary, here is what you should do (1) Love them; (2) Pray for them and (3) Find someone who needs your help so that you can redirect your thoughts to edifying someone, replacing the bad memories and then you will be able to “move with God”. In the meantime, I will pray also and ask God to give you peace and joy.

Favour May 4, 2012 at 7:40 am

To Jack and Pam, it is only God who will reward you people for when i read the comments i was sharing tears; because of what i read and i see that God has use you people to heal the wound in my heart today; therefore i thank God and let his name be praise forever.
when i was growing up i did alot of ills and when i receive christ i ask him to forgive me and cleanse me and make me a new person and infact i am seeing that he is doing it for me. i desire not to stay alone but to get marry for i dont want to go back to the vomit again and eat.
Infact, i cant hold myself to the comments and i am so happy to have you people in my life.
there is a program in our church and the theme: it was not so from the beginning.
i pray that God visit me and my family for no one is marry in my family.
Infact alot of disappointments, and so on.
let God do it again for us.

Jack May 4, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Hello again Favour. I know that God hears and answers our prayers and we will continue to do so. We too are happy to have you here my friend. Don’t lose heart, don’t give up, God cares and so do we.

Pamela Rose Williams May 6, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Hi Favour, I am so glad you came back to leave this lovely comment. I am honored that God is using us to help you. I know He will give you the desire of your heart. Here is a Psalm for you to meditate upon:

“Trust in the Lord, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.
4 Delight thyself also in the Lord: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
5 Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass. ” (Psalms 37:3-5)

Nothing is impossible for God. I will pray that your faith remains strong my friend.

random la sinner May 8, 2012 at 11:09 pm

I think I ruined someone’s life. I have prayed for forgiveness. I pray that the person won’t be affected by this horrible mistake. I know I’m probably over exaggerating. And nothing bad is going to happen to her in Jesus name. But I still feel bad. I can’t forgive myself for doing it even though I know God will. And to make it worse I was told God doesn’t answer prayers like mine. I truely am sorry and I need to get back on track with God. I feel as though whenever I make stupid decisions God always uses that as a way to tell me that I’m straying away and that I need to come back to him. Leave this life alone and focus on me.

Dear God,

Please forgive me of all my sins. I pray for a blessing for this person and also a blessing in their life. I also pray that any thing that could possible be associated with this person be removed.

In Jesus name I pray. Amen!!

Jack May 9, 2012 at 3:53 pm

What a precious prayer for forgiveness and I truly believe that God has already honored this prayer Random. Let us look at what the Word of God, the Bible says about God’s forgiveness in 1 John 1:9, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” Random, this means that God has promised to forgive you and me if we confess our sins, which you have done, and cleanse us from ALL unrighteousness. We must believe God, Who can not lie, and not trust our feelings. Now, you must forgive yourself since God has boldly stated in His Word He will forgive ALL sins. Claim it, believe it, for God can not lie and our feelings are no comparison to God’s bedrock truth.

Favour May 9, 2012 at 7:15 am

Hello Jack and Pam,
I want to thank you for the encouraging words and i can see that you people are God sent to me.
Please, continue to pray for the Tamngwa’s Family that God should touch them and show them his power.
Pray for sister Mambo eveline who is a widow and is facing alot of challenges in her office, she is a manager in a cooperative credit union and people take money and don’t refund it back, this is giving her alot of stress.
please, put her in your prayers.
we have a conference and the theme: “its wasn’t so from the beginning”. I ask for your prayers that let God visit me and all those who will attend this historic crusade for four days.
thanks

Hadassah May 15, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Hello…….I was going through a situation with this guy I love who basically lied to me for 3 years about wanting to commit to me. I did everything to show him I loved him and begged him if he didnt feel the same to be honest & let me go. He continued to lie, there was a time I needed his help with food until my ne xt check came and he didnt help me. The last straw for me was when he was suppose to spend my birthday with me & cancelled at the last minute knowing I had already paid for my plane ticket to see him. Since then he’s never called or even said he was sorry. I’ve had to work on forgiving him for myself even though he’s not sorry. I wish nothing bad for him but when I think of him sometimes I hurt like it just happened. He usually waits awhile and then contacts me & I always forgive him and take him back as a friend. This time I cannot. I know I can forgive him, but I dont trust himto let him back in my life and even be friends with him. How can I say he’s my friend and he didnt even care if I had food to eat. Ibcan forgive but I can’t be friends. Am I not truly forgiving him if I can’t be friends with him?

Jack May 15, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Hello Hadassah. I believe you are doing the right thing and in fact you show me that you are living out the life in Christ because there are many people who would not be as forgiving as you and hold a grudge. I believe you are showing wisdom because you might be setting yourself up for another big hurt if you let him come back into your life to hurt you even worse the next time and he has shown that he can not be trusted. Time will prove this and from what you’ve written, it appears that he can not be trusted…at least for now. You are truly a forgiving person just from your message here. Yes, I believe you are being forgiving of him even if you don’t want to be friends because he has shown some unstable tendencies. A true friend would not do that to another friend, and by not caring even if you had food to eat, it appears to me that he only wanted you for his own interests. Good for you. You are right in not being friends with him for the reason you stated and this does not mean that you haven’t forgiven him. That is my humble opinion. The writer of this article, Pam, may have a different take on this. To me, you took the high road and showed the love of God by forgiving him, even though he’s hurt you time and again. God bless you.

Hadassah June 4, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. It hurts so much to know he’s not even sorry for hurting me. But I can forgive him for myself. I just can never trust him or be friends with him again. Thank you again jack for those encouraging words:)

Jack Wellman June 4, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Hadassah. My friend, what a grace filled comment and yes, its hard to trust someone after this happened. I will be honored to pray for you my friend Hadassah.

Molly May 16, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Thank you so much for these verses! I was looking for a way to show my friend that I forgave her and these were great! Thank you thank you thank you!!!

roxanna May 28, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Hi,
I have a very hard time forgetting my husbands past. I really care about him, and I cannot even stand the idea of him leaving me. But, because I have a hard time forgiving and forgetting him for what he did before, I am ruining our friendship and marriage. How can I start over after 3 years of bugging him about it? I do not how to trust him anymore either. He says he does not do that thing anymore, but he said the same thing before and he still sinned. Please help. Thanks

Jack Wellman May 28, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Hello Roxanna. How difficult this must be. I know that trust is a hard thing to build again. I would say to keep on praying that God will instill in you a forgiving heart and to give him another chance. Paul said about love that love believes all things, trusts as in 1 Cor 13:7 “It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.” Love is giving people the benefit of the doubt, even though they don’t deserve it. Time will tell in the long run. I know that marriages are so important to God that we must do all we can to save them. God is able to not only forgive but forget. As humans we find this nearly impossible but thru Christ you can do all things.

Joyda May 30, 2012 at 11:11 pm

hi…i am a christian and my friend is also a christian…i don’t know if what is her problem w/ me now.. she do not want to talk w/ me or text me…what is the best thing that i can do?

Jack Wellman May 31, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Hello Joyda. This is not my article but if she is your friend in reality then I would think that she would text you back but you said she didn’t want to talk with you either, do you mean you tried to call her on the phone? Why not go by her house or send her an email or letter. Perhaps she is giving you a hint that she is not really interested in being your friend. As harsh as that sounds, if she really were your friend, she would at least respond to you by listening to you. The only thing I can recommend is try to talk to her over the phone or in person and if that doesn’t work, you will just have to move on with your life Joyda. No human relationship will ultimately ever fulfill a Christian’s life except the relationship with Jesus Christ and that it the most important anyway, right? (Matt 6:33). I wish I could help you more than that.

Pamela Rose Williams June 4, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Hi Joyda, Pastor Jack gives you great advice here. I share the following verse that popped in my head when I read your comment here:

A friend loveth at all times (Prov 17:17a)

Love her Joyda … just love her and wait for the right time to talk with her in person.

Holly June 3, 2012 at 11:13 am

Where to begin? Where to begin? I have so many hurts thatI am dealing with right now! First off let me start by saying that I got married when I was 17 to my first husband 1996. I get pregnant at a young age with twins and we got married, had another child and stayed married til 2005. During that relationship I came to know the Lord. I felt that nothing in this life could touch me because I had the Lord on my side. I became the church secretary at the church that he was raised in(a very small community) He never went to church with the kids and I. I had a trust issue with him bc of some things that happened regarding drugs and other women. I prayed and gave it to God. However, it was always in the back of my mind. I always felt not good enough for him. Unappreciated also. I always looked at myself during that time as a devoted Christian and strong person. Unfortunately, I found comfort by the words of another man on the internet who lived clear across the country. I talked with this man daily and eventually met him and had an affair. As a Christian, I felt so ashamed and unworthy of Gods love. I knew it was wrong a really did not want to go through with it, but i did anyway. I felt so guilty! even though i knew that my husband had done horrible things to me… It didntcompare to the guilt I felt and that facgt that I disappointed God. That everything I stood for and believed in was just gone in an instant. It hurt me soooo bad. I filed for a divorce with my husband. I felt like I was unworthy of anyones love. To top it all off, after filing for a divorce and finalizing it, I had my 3 children living with me… My pastor called me into his office along with a deacon of the church and fired me. THe whole church (minus a few) pretty much turned their backs on me. After that occurred, my ex husband took me back to court and asked for our children to live with him and the primary care giver. I, not having any money for an attorney, spoke with the judge and agreed that the kids could live with him , sharing custody! Everytime It was my time to have the kids, he, along with his parents, would not let me have the kids… I contacted the judge about it, he said it was a conflict of interest and to call an attorney, I called the local law inforcement and they responded with,”it’s a civil matter that needs to be taken to court” again, no money! Just so many things! The last Time I saw my children was Feb of 2007. A part of me also feels like I am unworthy of their love as well. I have a terrrible fear of rejection. I cry all of the time. My heart ached for them. It kills me to think that they go to bed at night and cry for me. I was a very nuturing mother. I miss them! _ After my divorce, I started to go out a lot and hanging out with the wrong crowd. I got involved with another man and had a son with him. He was a decent person, but i did not love him! I tried to work it out with him because I did not want to have yet another failed realtionship involvng a child. Two years after we met I ended our relationship and had custody of our son. During this time and still, I struggle with my relationship with God! I met another man, who knew my circumstances and was very manipulative. Very hungry for love and acceptance, I allowed this man to control me. At first, I believed everything that he said. I truly believed that during the time of our relationship, that he was pure and genuine. After a very short time I married him. He had his faults and past, But I was willing to look past them. A month after we got married, he began to use drugs. He became very “evil” He took advantage of me in every way possible. He hurt other people, he stole from people, he became very abusive and mean. At this time, I still had my youngest son from my previous relationship. I did not want to subject him to the abuse that i was enduring. I let him stay at his fathers house more often than usual. I myself began using drugs and did not care about myself very much. I felt like I was at rock bottom. I wanted to die. I would still cry out to God, asking him to help me. One day, I just said…enough! My husband at the time had always told me if you ever try to leave me I will kill you. That day, I didnt care anymore…. I told him that it was over and left. He followed me and sure enough, he beat me and tried to stab me in my neck. I saw a look in his eyes that I will never forget. After fearing for my life, I told him that I would go back with him. He calmed down and I followed him home(walking). I saw my cousin drive by and I jumped in her car and told her to drive. I called the police and he was arrested. He was already out on bond for shooting someone and is now incarcerated for attempted murder and for aggrivated battery on a house hold member(me). Oh my, was that difficult for me. after he went to jail, I did not know what to do with myself. I was sooooo lost. I was used to living every moment under his authority. I walked, talked, breathed and lived by him. Sickening! I lost myself. A very good friend of mine understood me and wanted to help. SHe flew me out of state to live with her and tried to help me get back to Me, to life, to living! I divorced him. I got a great job, I began to build back my relationship with God. I was feeling better about myself. I met yet another man who really impacted me… He got me back into church, we went on Christian retreats together, we made plans for our future. We got a house together, he proposed to me. I felt like finally, things were going to get better in my life and then I could focus on building my relationship with my children again. We planned another pregnancy. My daughter now. The day I found out that I was pregnant, I recieved a call from another woman who said that she and the man that I had all of these new dreams with and plans with was living with her and that they had been in a relationship for four years! I thought to myself, there is NO WAY! After a breif investigation on my part, it turned out to be true and yet again, antoher child, another failed relatiosnship and another let down on my faith and relationship with the Lord because of who he betrayed himself to be. What, what more, what else? At that point in my life, I shut down. I wouldnt allow myself to feel anymore. I could not bare the pain! I have always, always had a heart to help people. I love everyone! I honestly do! I am so willing to help anyone. I get great pleasure out of helping others. I remember thinking to myself, I wish I could feel emotion again. Literally nothing, nothing at all did I feel. Not happy, not sad, not angry…nothing! I just did not care! I had my daughter and I finally felt love again. All of the feelings that a mother feels when she looks into her childs eyes for the first time came flooding back to me and it was an extaordinary moment in my life because all of the hurt that i felt by not having my other children in my life, all of the joyful memories, all of the good and the bad came back all at once. I have ben trying and trying to deal with them all.I still hold the guilt of my choices, the feelings of unworthiness, the trust issues with everyone in my life and all at the same time, I still know who God is and what he can do for my life if i would just allow him to. I long for that plave of peace and joy. I miss the security of knowing that God is in control. I know, I know, I know that i know that He can cure these things in my life and I struggle all of the time. I don’t trust myself or anyone else for that matter. I know that I am a good person who has so much to offer this world. I feel so trapped inside of myself. I feel like a bombshell waitng to explode on the world. Waiting to explode all of the wonderful things that I can do for people because helping others truly is what makes me happy. But there is something that is holding me back. I dont know for sure what it is. I know that I cannot truly be happy in my life if my children are absent and apart form me. I dont know what to do. I have an idea on what i should do, but I am so afraid of rejection. As a Christian, I know all things are possible through Christ. I KNOW THIS! But why can’t I grab a hold of that? Why?

Jack Wellman June 3, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Hello Holly. Thank you for your very moving comment/testimony. What a journey you have had my friend. You said, “As a Christian, I felt so ashamed and unworthy of Gods love.” but are we not all most unworthy. My own testimony I believe might show that depths of God’s forgiveness at: http://www.whatchristianswanttoknow.com/how-i-was-set-free-in-prison/

His mercy is unending and His grace without borders. You said, “I felt like I was at rock bottom. I wanted to die. I would still cry out to God, asking him to help me. One day, I just said…enough!” and again, this is what I went through but not as difficult of a road as you have. Why is a question that I will not pretend to know how to answer. What a journey of heartache, grief, and pain you have endured. I can’t imagine myself surviving what you have been thru my friend. Unbelievable what you have suffered. I know that Paul endured so very much, and Christ even more. He suffered more than anyone who has ever lived, yet He forgave those who were murdering Him, even though completely innocent and felt abandoned temporarily, even by the Father, crying “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” So even Jesus asked “Why” once but all I can do is pray for you. God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble and it sounds like you been greatly humbled. I am speechless and should never complain again for what I went through or will go through. Your testimony is powerful. Perhaps God is going to use you as a ministry that I might call Romans 8:28 or Romans 8:18. I am so very, very sorry.

Pamela Rose Williams June 4, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Hello Holly, I have sent you an email and look forward to your response there. I am so glad you stopped by WCWTK and I want you to know that I am praying regarding your circumstance.

Tyson June 3, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I am sorry but I don’t agree with most people’s understanding of “Forgiveness”. From what I understand of the BIBLE, we as Christians must repent our sins and accept Jesus as our savior in order to be SAVED. I believe, and will always will, that one must want and ask for forgiveness in order to be forgiven. To forgive without being asked for it is like letting a prisoner go free without any consequences for there actions.

Pamela Rose Williams June 4, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Hi Tyson, Thank you for your comment. I believe the Bible teaches us that when we believe in what Jesus did at the cross for us (personally) that all of our sins are forgiven. Accepting what Jesus did is how forgiveness of sins is accomplished. Then after the salvation from death for the sins that we have and will commit, we are admonished to “stand ready” to forgive.

It is a personal choice to accept the gift of salvation that is freely given to all. Just as it is a personal choice to “stand ready” to forgive other’s for the hurt they have caused and to have the heart to love and treat others as illustrated in the verses above.

favour June 4, 2012 at 3:35 am

Holly, after reading through the mail you sent, i will love to talk with u personnally. one thing u need to know is that God is able to restore you again, it is not late for him to do soemthing for you ok.
Situation comes in our life for us to be strong and i know that if God has allow you up till now is for his name to be glorified.
this is my email ntangwan@yahoo.com.
Let tell you through this site i got a breakthrough and i know God can still do something to you.
stay blessed

Pamela Rose Williams June 4, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Amen favour, your words are king and true.

Jenn June 8, 2012 at 5:00 pm

I am writing as a sinner, begging to feel forgiven. I was unhappy in my relationship with my loved one, and I had an affair. My feelings toward my relationship have since changed and I am dying to make things work. I do not want to hurt anyone, I have turned from my ways, and I am literally sick with guilt for what I have done. I have asked the LORD for forgiveness, and I know he has forgiven me..however I am having a difficult time feeling forgiven and the guilt remains. I am dying to tell my loved one and beg for forgiveness but I dont think he will forgive me. I don’t want to hurt him anymore, which is why I do not think I should say anything…but in the meantime every day I throw up, dont eat, hardly sleep, all because of the guilt. I could use some help, or some Bible versus that may help me?

Jack Wellman June 8, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Hi Jenn. I am so sorry for your heartache in this relationship. I know that you want to ask for forgiveness and its scary to do so, but I suggest you at least try. What do you have to lose? I know that I will pray for you and for your loved one to be restored to you. God is the One and Only One that can change a person’s heart (Prov 21:1). Your guilt will at least be aleviated if you go them them as ask him to forgive you. Tell him just what you wrote her. If he doesn’t, you have not lost anything but if he is restored to you, you have gained much. I truly believe the Scriptures that Pam provided here are just what you need. More than anything, pray and pour it all out..pour out your heart to God. He can take it. Praying for you and for him Jenn.

john white June 9, 2012 at 2:17 am

I yelled and cursed at my co worker the other day over something that she took wrong and I was only trying to help her with. I snapped and instead of being calm and explaining, I got mad told her to f you and yelled at her. Now she wont even talk to me. I feel so bad because I have worked with her for so many years. Then this had to happen. I was taking ibuprophen and drinking coffee cause I had a tooth ache. I also take thyroid medicine. I think that had something to do with it. I feel so horrible, I dont know what to do except pray about it and hopefully god will help to releave my sadness over this incedent.

Victoria June 28, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Hi, I am 17 years of age and am Greek Orthodox.
Ever since I was a little girl, I have had some tough times regarding bullying. I have never involved myself with excessive amounts of technology, I have never had Facebook or a mobile phone, yet bullying seems to have a way of following me everywhere. Last year I had a horrible encounter with a fellow student. Without warning she decided to threaten, swear and physically hurt me. I attempted to defend myself but was so shocked by her interrogations that I burst into tears. What made it even worse is that I had no idea she had turned my friends against me and they went along with what she said and kicked me out of the group. I have not spoken to her since, but I feel as if every time I see her the anger inside me grows and I have to control myself from saying anything horrible. What should I do? Should I completely forgive her or just avoid her all together?

Pamela Rose Williams June 28, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Hello Victoria, In this case I would suggest that you avoid her. Pray for her too — your intercessory prayers to the Father could help to give her a softened heart. Now, if she is to approach you and ask for your forgiveness you should forgive her because we should be standing ready to forgive. For now I think you know her presence in your life is not a good thing. If you should bump into her, be kind always. In the mean time go get your Bible and look up Romans 16:16-18 then come back here and tell me in your own words what you think that passage means. I am glad you left your comment Victoria because now I have something to add to my prayer list — you can count on me to lift you up as you deal with this life circumstance. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Lauren July 12, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Hi Victoria,
I think it’s important to understand that to forgive her and to avoid her two very different things. I think it’s important to forgive her. As I struggle with forgiving people in my own life, I’ve learned that when you don’t forgive someone bitterness and anger begin to creep into your heart. Not forgiving someone can keep you from experiencing all of the goodness that God has for you. I can only imagine how difficult it is to forgive someone that has hurt you in this way, but I challenge you to continue to lift her up in prayer, continue to pray for a forgiving heart, and God will be faithful to you and your prayers. You’ll overcome this and you’ll have a wonderful testimony to share with others. I’ll be praying for you too!

Pamela Rose Williams July 12, 2012 at 4:12 pm

AMEN Lauren … yes an unforgiving heart will even sometimes skip the “anger” and go right to bitterness. Thank you for your Godly advice dear.

angela bazin July 1, 2012 at 7:24 am

Hello, I am a woman being in love with the same sex, I know this is wrong but I cannot control this feeling and I feel that this is too much burden for me. Please give me an advice I really needed it. Thank you.

Pamela Rose Williams July 1, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Hello Angela, Your only help comes from the LORD. He is the one who sent his only begotten Son, Jesus to die on the cross the pay your sin debt. The Bible says we have all sinned and fall short of the glory of God. When you accept Jesus as your Savior the Holy Spirit comes into your heart and He gives you the power to stop doing the things that you know are wrong.

My advice for you comes from the word of God. You should ask forgiveness from God and then go and sin no more. When you know something is wrong then you should not be doing it. Your sin is one of the flesh and only the Holy Spirit can help you to stop living in the flesh and start walking with Him. As believers in Jesus we are called walk in the Spirit and not in the flesh. Take a look at what the apostle Paul wrote about this very thing in Galatians 5:16-25:

16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

24 And they that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

I hope this is helpful to you Angela. I am happy you left your comment here because now I know to pray that you choose to walk in the Spirit. God loves you Angela, no matter what and He will forgive you and His Holy Spirit will enable you to stop displeasing God.

angela July 2, 2012 at 7:02 am

Thank you, I will meditate on this Words, and that may I able to forgive myself because of this feeling I have hurt someone and I know I have done so much pain to this person. Forgiving oneself is the most difficult task.

brittney Moore July 1, 2012 at 12:37 pm

hi lm 22 years old and i am having a hard time forgiving and getting over my child’s father we broke up when i was about 4months pregnant and now my daughter is 5months old. he now goes with a female that i dislike(i know not The Christian way to be) but this was way before him n her got together. i still love him apart of me wants us to be because i always wanted a family like i had…growing up i had my mother n father nothing was separate until i got older n at the age of 18 the got a divorce n now everything is separate i hate on Christmas i have to go to one house then the other. but the other part i just want to get over him, forgive him n move on bc if i forgive him, n move on with my life i wouldn’t care about who he’s with r whether we would get back together…i say at times im over it n that i forgive him, but when i think about it r some one bring his name up, i get mad all over again. its like i forgave him halfway which isn’t right. i wanna fully forgive him towards when i think about the situation i want get mad…its been 9months since we broke up n i still get mad r wish we was together but i just want to get over him n move on n forgive him

brittney Moore July 1, 2012 at 12:44 pm

please help me

Jack Wellman July 1, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Hello Brittney. I know this is not my article but just think about his eternal future. It doesn’t sound like he is a Christian and therefore his eternal future will be bearing much bad fruit and he will pay for his sin and will bear the consequences. Since it sounds like you are a believer in Christ Jesus, your eternal future is much more secure in Christ and so just think of how much we have been forgiven and realize that it is impossible to forgive others without the Spirit’s help but thru Christ we can do all things. Will be glad to pray for you and I see the Holy Spirit working in you because you desire to do what is right. Christ forgave us and saved us while we were still enemies of His and saved us when we were dead in our sins. Just start praising God when you feel this unforgiving spirit and ask Him to take it and give you the strength to forgive him. I am praying for you.

Pamela Rose Williams July 1, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Hi Brittney,

I am thankful for Pastor Jack’s words below. He has very excellent advice.

I just want to add that if you are a Christian then you know that when you accepted Jesus as your Savior that God removes our sins (Psalms 103:12 As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.). Brittney, just as God remembers our sins no more you can choose to do the same thing with this man that you are grieving. If you say that you have forgiven him in your heart then you have … keep your word otherwise you are a liar. God will be pleased with the forgiving condition of your heart and He will not be pleased when you go back on your word. When you find that you are dwelling on this past relationship I suggest that you take your thoughts elsewhere and think on better things. We feel what we feel because we think what we think. Try meditating on the following section of Scripture and even memorize it so that when you need to be thinking on the right things this will come out of your heart and be remembered at just the right time:

Philippians 4:8-9 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

I will also raise you up in my prayers that you can have a forgiving heart and remember that you can choose to remember no more the past transgressions of this man.

evan July 3, 2012 at 12:39 pm

last night i had got beaten up by someone in my neighborhood and then they stole my headphones and i prayed and repented in case i responded the wrong way…i feel as though God allowed this to happen for some reason but i want to know if you can pray for why God allowed this to happen and i forgive them and i pray for them

Pamela Rose Williams July 10, 2012 at 10:08 am

I will pray Evan — but please know that you may never know why this happened. I lift you in prayer.

adams July 4, 2012 at 8:26 am

I have recently got out of a two year relationship withguy who has been living a lie!! He told me that he was legally separate and in the middle of a divorce! I believe him because they have there own place. Anyway he had been telling me nothing but lies and putting it on his brother that he wasn’t with her and so on. Now that everything is coming to da light i know that he has been lying. Im so hurt that he would lie on his dead brother knowing strongly i feel about that!! And now he is back with her like nothing has happened even though she has known about me even when i didnt know who she was. I can forgive him
about the cheating and playing me but its so hard to forgive him bout lying on his brother!

Pamela Rose Williams July 10, 2012 at 10:10 am

Hello Adams, This is a very complicated and sad situation. I will pray that you find it in your heart to put this behind you and know that God has something better for you. Thank you for leaving your comment here so I know how to pray.

ousley July 4, 2012 at 4:45 pm

god will follow you

brittney Moore July 6, 2012 at 8:53 am

thank u for such good advise. now i just have to start the process of letting go n letting God…Its hard when u still having feelings for someone n u think y’all would get back together but he lives on with out a care n a world n u stuck with feelings n hurt while he happily moved on…i wish i could just erase thinking about him. i pray i get over him fully…n forgive him.

Pamela Rose Williams July 10, 2012 at 10:11 am

Amen Brittney — start memorizing my friend! Replace those sad thoughts with good thought from God’s word.

Miss A July 10, 2012 at 2:32 am

the father of my child left me when i was 5 months pregnant and a year later after the baby was born he came back saying how sorry he was and because i was inlove with him i took him back but then again he left and didnt support the child which left me with no choice but to file for maintenance and he has been maintening without seeing the child for the past 2 years and then all of a sudden this year he started showing what seemed to be interest but my anger towards him doesnot allow me to even be in the same room as him and he never even once said im sorry.i struggle with this everyday of my life as im very cynical when it comes to relationship.how do i forgive him when he didnt even apologise for what he did?

Miss A July 10, 2012 at 2:40 am

this year i thought i had forgiven him as i could talk about him and not get angry but something just snapped and i got all the flashbacks of how,when and how cruel he left me.i know i have to deal with my anger and get help but i dont know where to start,pls pray for me and give me guidance and direction to get past this as i really dont want to raise my son with all this anger inside me.

Pamela Rose Williams July 10, 2012 at 10:30 am

Hello Miss A, I am so sorry for the hurt that you have inside of your heart. Please allow me to explain something. Saying “I am sorry” is NOT the same as asking for forgiveness. Consider these two examples:

“I am sorry” is acceptable for times when we make a mistake that was beyond our control — for example, say we borrow someone’s car and we park it and go into the grocery to do some shopping. Now we come out to the parking lot and the car is gone; someone has stolen it. In this case you return to the owner of the car and explain the circumstance and at this time you offer your apology — “I am sorry” for what happened but clearly you could not have done anything to avoid this outcome.

Now, say you have borrowed this friend’s car and you are not obeying the speed limit on the road and you are involved in a car crash — basically you crashed into another car because you were traveling at an unsafe speed. In this case, had you been more careful this crash probably would not have happened. Now you have ruined your friend’s car and it is time to say “Please forgive me for this, I was careless and crashed your car”. You could have avoided this outcome and so an apology is not enough, you must ask for forgiveness from God first and then from your friend.

Now let’s get back to your situation. Your man may never, ever ask for forgiveness from you but this does not change the fact that YOU are called to “stand ready” to forgive. It is up to YOU to “choose” to have a forgiving heart and to “choose” to remember it no more. Up above your comments I gave Brittney some advice to memorize a passage of Scripture out of Philippians 4 — I offer the same to you. Replace those bad thoughts with good ones that can only come from the word of God.

Also, It sounds like your anger is turning to or already has turned into bitterness. Remember your son Miss A — I agree with you, he deserves a Mama that is not so angry. Have you considered seeking Biblical Counseling for Anger management? Start with your Pastor first, perhaps he can help. I will hold you in my prayers as you work through this and learn to “let go and let God”. AND once you give it over to God, don’t take it back! He is a big God and will resolve your issue in HIS time. You need only trust Him.

Kia July 10, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Hi, I am 17 years old and had to get an abortion because of my situation. I wanted to give my baby up for adoption but my baby’s father would not allow it. When I was younger, I was molested and was able to forgive my molestor. I’m having a hard time forgiving myself for the abortion.

Pamela Rose Williams July 12, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Hello Kia, My heart aches for you. I will pray that you can give this to God, ask Him for forgiveness and allow him to heal your broken heart. Also, I suggest that you find a good Biblical Counselor in your area … start with your Pastor and learn how you can use the Bible to help you heal. You are at the top of my prayer list Kia. I am so sorry for your loss.

Miss A July 11, 2012 at 9:26 am

Thank you so much Pam for the wise words,i know i will get through this with God by my side.as you said i need to give it all to God and let him deal with it.i pray for inner peace and to forgive myself as well because that is another aspect thats holding me back but I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO GIVES ME STRENGTH.AMEN!

Pamela Rose Williams July 12, 2012 at 4:20 pm

By the way Miss A … you just happened to quote my life verse! Phil 4:13

Here is more about life verses:

Pamela Rose Williams July 12, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Hello All, Just wanted to mention that Derek posted another article about forgiveness here at WCWTK today. You can read it here:

Sandeep July 16, 2012 at 9:48 am

I am wondering what to do? I belong to Hindu Family but I want to Convert to be a True Christian and seek eternal Life,But my family is Rigid and Orthodox my wife shall never change whatever it takes ,and she is dependent on me as I am the bread winner of Family ,I have One daughter ,I am confused really what to do and better still How to do it? Can I keep my faith a secret but still go to Church secretly????