5 Prayers For Reconciliation In Relationships Between Spouses

by Jack Wellman · Print Print · Email Email

Here are 5 prayers for reconciliation in relationships between spouses.

Prayer of Forgiveness

Righteous Father,

I know that You seek to have us always be in a right relationship with You and sometimes I do things that grieve You. I know that I do and say things that grieve my spouse too so I am asking You to give me the right words to say to be reconciled to my spouse.  I know I have made many mistakes and have asked for forgiveness from them but it seems that it hasn’t restored our marriage to where we’re both in a right relationship with one another and I know You desire us to be in one.  I need Your help.  Please send me Your Spirit to show me what I might have done wrong that I was not even aware of and soften my spouse’s heart to accept my faults and extend forgiveness to me so that we can worship You together in the way that is pleasing to You and in the way You intended a husband and a wife to be joined together in offering You thanksgiving, praise, and honor.  I know that in my own inadequacies I cannot fully understand how to always say the right words or do the right things but it is my desire to be reconciled with my beloved mate and it is in the strong name of and for the glory of the name above all names, Jesus Christ my Lord, Amen.

5 Prayers For Reconciliation In Relationships Between Spouses

Prayer of Blessing

Great God in heaven,

I am asking You for Your forgiveness for things that I have done to You that are clearly sinful for I am surely not sinless (1 John 1:8-10) and forgive me for those things that I have obviously done wrong to my spouse to hurt them and cause them pain.   I am asking You to bless my spouse and help them to understand how far I fall short of the perfect spouse and I pray for Your help in knowing how I can help to restore this relationship and make it more of the way You originally intended for us to have a right relationship with one another and with You.  I know that my prayers have sometimes been hindered because of my own stubborn heart and unwillingness to be a greater servant of my spouse and to love them in the way that You have loved me, even dying for me while I was Your enemy (Rom 5:10) and a sinner (Rom 5:9).  Please extend to me Your mercy and grace and allow me to treat my spouse in the way that You love me unconditionally and not treat them the way that I often do.  I need Your help in doing these things and again, bless my spouse and I thank You for my spouse and for Your forgiveness, love, and grace and in the precious name of the Savior, Jesus Christ I pray, Amen.

Prayer of Reconciliation

Father in heaven,

You have reconciled me to Yourself through Your Son’s precious blood and so I am begging You to help me be reconciled to my beloved spouse.  Only You can change the human heart (Prov 21:1) so I ask You to change my heart to be one that seeks to humble myself and seek reconciliation in my relationship with my mate.  Too often I speak without thinking and I know my words hurt my spouse but this is no excuse for the things that I speak to them.  I ask for Your Spirit to be sent to help us be reconciled with one another as Your Son’s precious blood was shed for our being reconciled to You (2 Cor 5:18; Col 1:20).  This I pray for Your Son’s most holy name and for His glory, Amen.

Prayer of Restoration

God,

You are in the restoration business; restoring me by giving me Your Spirit.  You have made me into a new creation in Christ (2 Cor 5:17) and I am pleading with You to help me restore this marital relationship with my beloved spouse.  How often have I done things out of pure selfish ambition and gain?  I cannot count the times where I was only looking out for my own interests and not that of my spouse.  Please forgive me for my selfishness and help our relationship be restored to the way it previously was.  I need Your help in doing this because I don’t always know the right thing to say or do and I lack Your wisdom in acting out of a sincere and genuine heart that is motivated only by serving my spouse and loving them in the way that You love me.  What more can I do to help in restoring this relationship to where You would have it be?  Help me to think, act, and speak in ways that would reflect Your own love and for this I pray in the precious name of the Great Son of God, Jesus Christ, Amen.

Prayer of Repentance

Father,

I repent of my sins and my sins against my spouse.  I am so sorry and I need to tell You and my spouse that I have sinned.  Let me be humble in approaching them by telling them that I have sinned against them by the way that I have acted or by the words that I have used.  I know that I don’t always treat my spouse in the way that I am supposed to because there are many times that I am still more concerned about myself more than I am my spouse.  I need to esteem my spouse, to cherish my spouse, and to extend to them the same grace and mercy that You extended to me, even though I didn’t deserve it.  Help me to understand that I cannot fix relationships on my own.  Only Your Spirit can give me a tenderer heart and please soften my spouses heart too so that they can accept my apologies and to let them know that I often act out of impulse and pride.  Help me to know the right words to say to them so that I can show them that I have a repentant heart and seek to be reconciled to them in our relationship because the relationship between a husband and wife is supposed to reflect that of the relationship that Jesus Christ has with me and with the church.  For this I pray for the Son of God’s glory and in His name, Amen.

Final Thoughts

Maybe you’ve prayed such a prayer before.  I know I have and I also know that I’ll need to again being I am a fallen creature.  I need God’s help in knowing how to pray and how to seek forgiveness and to love my spouse in a way that shows her that I do and not just depend on words alone.  Can you comment by giving us your own prayer so that we might know what to pray and how to pray it?

Take a look at some Bible verses about marriage: Bible Verses About Marriage

Lauren June 11, 2015 at 3:14 pm

Thank you for posting this.

Jack Wellman June 11, 2015 at 6:31 pm

Thank you for your kind words my friend.

Silas Ihuoma June 15, 2015 at 10:00 am

Hello sir,

I am grateful for the prayers. God bless you. They are actually what I need right now for my narriage. The past 2 years have been like a crazy, emotional roller coaster ride and I believe God will not leave me unattended to. Obviously, there are certain things about marriage I was naive about before getting married to my wife. God help me

keith December 18, 2015 at 1:41 pm

Loved reading them prayers, hope with all my heart they get answered as i have been away from my wife and kids for awhile and i really miss them,every day it gets really hard and i don’t know if i am praying right because it seems my prayers are not been answered,and i know GOD at this time of year is so busy trying to answered all those that need his help,i am really hoping and praying every day that myself and wife can be a loving family and with GODS help our love can grow stronger for each other and our 3 beautiful girls,from the bottom of my heart i THANK YOU LORD GOD, ALL THE ANGELS AND SAINTS,FOR LISTENING AND HELPING THROUGH THIS PAIN,AMEN

Kirsten January 20, 2016 at 10:42 pm

I really love these prayers. These prayers really have helped me as a person because at one point I felt that there was no God when things came tumbling down on me all at once. But as I began to pray more often he began to show me that he has not yet given up on me just yet. I know that we all as humans sin but it’s our job to ask God to forgive us. Thanks for these wonderful prayers.

Brian Jones June 5, 2016 at 8:27 am

I love these prayers and I feel they helped me out and fit what Ive been trying to pray to God. I pray that GOD opens my wife heart to reconciling and restoring our marriage. I miss her and my family so much and Ive been praying hard everyday for us and our family. I love her to death! It feels like my prayers arent getting answered but I cant give up. I pray that the Lord touches her heart and give me another chance and I promise I will show her how much I love her. All i need is another chance to show her that I can be a better husband and provider for her and the kids and Im changing my ways for me and for her. I know God cant force anyone but I know hes able to change hearts and with him anything is possible with him, if you believe. I pray that he touches our marriage and bleed the blood of Jesus over our marriage. I pray that he turns this situation around and make our love stronger than it was before. I believe and have #FAITH and I still pray
I know our father has a world to look after but all I need is 1 touch over our marriage. Im calling out to you heavenly father, touch me, touch this prayer, touch my wife heart, touch her soul, her mind in the name of Jesus. Amen.

Jack Wellman June 5, 2016 at 1:08 pm

Mr. Jones, what a precious prayer that you yourself wrote. So beautiful and with such humility and yieldedness to God. May God speedily help you in the very difficult time sir.

Michelle July 8, 2016 at 8:40 am

I really enjoyed reading this! My husband and I have been separated for w months after a few years of craziness. See my husband got caught up in drugs and it’s turned a very goid man into a man i don’t even know. I did leave him because of this but was no where ready for the words I’m now hearing. Last week he told me he doesn’t love me and said the same thing last night via text. He also wanted the address so he could send divorce papers. Obviously I’m torn apart but he won’t really talk to me .. I know God can and will fix this. Only he can change my husband’s mind and heart .. I need prayers please and thank you very much

Jonathan July 22, 2016 at 10:19 am

These prayers have come along at a low point in my life. My spouse left me due to my abuse. I am praying God softens her heart and destroys the demon of anger and pain inside me. I now recognize her as one of his many blessings that I took for granted. I pray daily for forgiveness and reconciliation between us. These prayers help. Thank you!!

Melvin August 10, 2016 at 9:50 am

Thank you God, for this site. I am willing to do my part and pray for reconciliation of my marriage. I hope and trust that while we are separate the holy spirit of God is speaking to her. I even ask for the help of my angel to remove all marriage breaking voices from my wife’s life, in Jesus name. Thanks you Lord. Amen

Michael December 15, 2016 at 1:54 pm

Melvin, I pray that Marriage breaking voices are removed from your wife and my wife’s lives as well, she has people who call themselves friends that I see them for what they really are and they have no value to a blessed marriage. They men bash and only encourage negative reactions vs. pushing for reconciliation and words of encouragement. Even in my own struggle, I hope you get your wife back and it works

Jack Wellman December 15, 2016 at 3:02 pm

Thank you Michael for praying for Melvin. What kindness you show. I will pray for your wife too sir but for you also that God comforts you as only He can do.

erie October 4, 2016 at 6:34 am

thank you so much for the prayers. i have wronged my spouse and he is under stress ..i believe GOD will restopre our relationship.
amen

Jess mess October 9, 2016 at 9:58 am

Dear God, thank you for bringing me to this page and prayers. I miss and love him so much, we had talks of marriage and were brought together by you. We took it for granted and are both suffering the break up. Please God through your son Jesus Christ Restore our relationship. Soften PCE heart for me and reunite us as one with love and in marriage. Amen.

Michael December 15, 2016 at 1:42 pm

Please pray for my wife and I as we are separated. I know there is a spiritual attack against my family as just about everything that can go wrong has. I just want to work things out with my wife and show to her and prove to her I never want to give up on her that I never meant to say leave or divorce out of anger. I hope that she forgives me. I have forgiven everything as well that has been done and have put everything into Gods hands. I want my family and I want it to be strong and of God. I have work still to do for me but I want my wife there because she has been a good support system and I took a lot for granted. I felt like I was the one being taken for granted and when she was trying I didn’t let up. I pray she comes back home, I miss her and hurt because I lost a good person and someone very special to me.
I Pray everyone on here who is looking to reconcile with their spouse gets their other half back and become one unit again. In Jesus Name I do pray, Amen.

Marcus Pearce January 2, 2017 at 9:03 pm

These prayers are amazing. I really needed them right now. I am only 23 but I am currently experiencing the toughest moment in my life. I constantly flirted with the devil through sin. A few weeks ago I physically abused the love of my life and I have been a broken man since.

Somehow I managed to find God out of this incident and he has provided me with strength during this difficult time. I pray everyday for God to bring us back together.

I was a selfish boyfriend and I only cared about my personal needs. She needed someone strong to support her and I failed her. Today is her birthday and I miss her so much. My life has become so quiet without her.

She also has people around her that oppose reconciliation. People who I thought were my friends have turned against me. She has blocked me on every platform possible to speak to her.

I pray everyday that me and her will get back together. I stood before God as a wicked man who no longer wanted to commit sin. These prayers have given me strength.

God bless you all.

Michael January 11, 2017 at 8:39 am

Please pray for me and my wife. We are separated because of my selfish desires. God put her before me when I needed her. She was truly life changing for me. She was put there when I had given up all hope, and showed me that I can not only receive love but to give it as well. I thank God all the time for the gift he gave me when we crossed paths. The fact that I hurt her is devastating. She is my world, and I can’t imagine life without her. Lord, I pray for the strength and wisdom to heal myself so I can heal our marriage. Lord take my hand and guide me down the path of healing and reconciliation. Walk with me as I confront the demons of my past so that I can bask in the glory of Your future. Forgive me for I have sinned, forgive me for I am not perfect and I have acted out of my own desires instead of the desires of my You and my family, forgive for all my human frailties for I am a broken man. Father I open my mind and heart to you, I ask that You heal the pain in my heart, and the pain in my wife’s heart, the pain in my children’s hearts. I trust You Lord, I trust You to show me the way to reconciliation as we walk this path together for You are God Almighty, maker of heaven and earth. I trust you as we walk side by side, and take comfort in knowing You are there with me. I thank you for the blessings I have received from you. I am lost withouy wife and I take comfort in knowing it is You who will help me find her again. In Jesus name I pray

Jack Wellman January 11, 2017 at 8:43 am

I am so sorry Michael. I will pray for you sir and know that God is not finished with you and I also know that God often uses our deepest pain to do His greatest works, so you know that God has forgive you (1 John 1:9), so let’s pray that God restores your relationship sir and I pray others will pray for you too Michael.

Mary January 11, 2017 at 10:12 pm

Please pray for me and my husband. we have been married 29 yrs he moved out and filed for a divorce. Now he will have 0 contact with me.

Lord please help restore my marriage.

Troy February 9, 2017 at 3:09 pm

Please pray for my wife and I. She moved out of our marital home on NYE. I was a bad husband. I lied to my wife, hurt her feelings and showed her little empathy. The devil really had a hold on me. We have 2 small children and I am fighting for my marriage. God is back in control of my life and I hope and pray my wife gives our marriage another chance….

Sally February 14, 2017 at 11:14 am

Hello,
I have been in a long-term relationship that has lasted almost 5 years.
Since the beginning of these year, we have had more misunderstandings than we ever have in the previous years.
And mostly, I have been the cause of the problem because I have been overreacting to small things that he says or does. The other problem is that he is not very communicative.
As a result we have been having a lot of strain in our relationship, and it has been very difficult dealing with all of this emotionally.
I know it is not a formal union, but from the very beginning we had always known we were heading somewhere.

I am not at peace.
Kindly pray for us

Jack Wellman February 14, 2017 at 1:54 pm

Hello Sally. Will pray. For one thing, men are not as big on communication. So it may not be personal. If you are not having peace about this relationship, then don’t go any further but still at least be friends.

m sew February 22, 2017 at 2:17 pm

Please pray for my reconciliation with Itani Tanase. I caused rift between us by not trusting him.

carmen tatiana moldovan March 1, 2017 at 6:11 am

I pray for reconciliation between me and my son-in-law.